Product Manufacturer: Wright Mcgill
Ok so this might be long winded but this is my review and story. So Iíve been using the black max for well over a year and decided I would get another bait caster and replace my last open face reel on my second rod. I saw the skeet reese reels and read the media reviews and everything pointed to a good buy at the $100 price point which by the way was twice what I paid for the black max, so I thought I would upgrade. Gander mountain had the reel listed at $120 walmart had it at less than $80 so off to Wal-Mart and mad at gander mountain. I found the reel and it came with a cover as well and had a huge cranking arm and large paddles so I was happy. Wal-Mart only carries right hand reels not happy about that but I grew up on right hand so no big deal I guess I purchased the reel. First thing when I opened the package was the reel was missing the knob cover for the counter weight knob which was upsetting but no big deal back to walmart there always good about this stuff. It took me almost a half hour dealing with them to get this exchanged because no one is in the sporting goods section and the reel is locked up. curse gander mountain again, this would not be the case at their store there is someone always in there department. I bought 15LB fluorocarbon line for the reel loaded it up and hit the lake. First cast itís nowhere near as smooth as my black max but no big deal. So a few casts in and I bird nest the thing again no big deal except this one is really messed up. You know the loops you get when you bird nest well one of those went in between the reel and the housing and really messed things up and I had to cut a lot of my line off So I fished a while low on line and the reel never felt as good as the black max which is half the price almost. It always felt rougher never as smooth. So I replaced the line again another $20 for that and started fishing again and bam it happen again the line jumped into the little gap what the heck. So I went shopping to get a new rod to go with my new reel and picked up the scot reese crank bait rod it felt ok I was going to get it but then right next to it was the Abu Garcia vendetta. I picked that one up and OMG huge difference. The vendetta was lighter by far and felt more balanced and felt better in my hand and a few bucks cheaper. So after some back and forth not only did I decide to get the vendetta but also to take a look at returning my new reel. Went home picked the real up started looking at it. I hit the button caused a birds nest so I can see what the issues where and sure enough the lined entered the gap again and at that point I decided this thing was going back. Iíve been fishing bait caster for some time now and yes I still bird nest mine usually later in the day when Iím tired Iíll snap my wrist or something no big deal with the black max. Also the back lash adjustment on the scot reese reel is under a cover that needs to be removed???? Not sure removing a piece of my reel on a yak is a great idea ya know. For half the price get the smoother more refined farther casting black max or silver max over the reese reel. In the end I bought into the hype of a high quality reel at a decent price. I should of just stuck with Abu Garcia which is a mistake I donít intend on making again. Quantum and Abu Garcia both make reels cheaper than the reese reel so IMO donít waste your time on it not at least till they have a few years to refine their work. Hope this helps someone I know this was a rant\review but I was sold on the hype and was on my way to going reese crazy LOL