NC Angler Forums banner

Worden’s Lures Original Rooster Tails

18K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Fishinmagician88 
#1 ·
Worden’s Lures Original Rooster Tails

www.yakimabait.com
www.cabelas.com
www.basspro.com Priced at $3.19 for several sizes.
www.gandermountain.com
Walmart
Your local bait and tackle shops

Since the 1950’s what a productive lure to use to catch trout, bass, walleye, panfish, steelhead, salmon and pike. The vibrating spinner and hackle tail drive the fish crazy.

Weights 1/32, 1/24, 1/16, 1/8, 1/6, ¼, 3/8, ½, ¾, 1 oz

There are 149 color and blade combinations. New hammered blades on select colors

Standard with lead body. Tin body also available.

Size and Hook data

1/32 and 1/24 oz, size #14 treble hook or #8 single hook
1/16 oz, 12 treble hook or #8 single hook
1/8oz, 10 treble hook or #6 single hook
1/6oz, #8 treble hook or #4 single hook
¼ and 3/8oz, #6 treble hook or #2 single hook
1/2oz, 4 treble hook or #2 single hook
3/4oz, 1 treble hook or 2/0 single hook
1oz, #1 treble hook or 3/0 single hook

Also checkout the other models by Worden - tail lite, tail red hook, tail UV, tail-tin, troll UV, sonic rooster tail, super rooster tail and vibric rooster tail.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
not my favorite

Buy something else, they are cheap by comparison to the panther martin. the martin will spin and very few times will not perform and casts much better. the rooster is a cheaper bait that will take abuse but often the spinner will not spin and its just not that great to me inho.

#6 ·
I'd second the notion that, while the Panther Martin is a generally superior product (better casting, spins more reliably, usually runs deeper weight for weight, which is a big concern for me as a trout fisherman, since trout generally hold tight to the bottom and rarely come up more than a few inches to hit a lure or bait, additionally, Panther Martins can be bought undressed, which provides more options for the fisherman), Rooster Tails do have their place. Because of their lower vibration and less compact body form (which makes, weight for weight, for less of a "plop" when the lure hits the water), Rooster Tails are generally the better choice when dealing with spooky fish in low water conditions. The fact that Rooster Tails are available in single hook configurations means they're the only real alternative to Mepps when fishing areas (such as designated "Wild Trout" waters) where treble hooks are not permitted. I believe that Panther Martin makes single hook spinners, but you never actually see them on store shelves. I actually find that the single hook versions, while providing fewer overall hookups than trebles, actually are more likely to give you a really well stuck fish. In particular, I find that you get better hooksets on "big" (14"+) trout with the single hook Rooster Tails than with either treble Roosters or Panther Martins.

#7 ·
roostertail

they donr spin as good as they used to in the 70's or early eighties but you just have to know how to adjust them......

#0 or # 1 rooster tail in "grasshopper " color is the best small bait for trout......i will put up with the blades for what they catch....mack

added...blue fox spinner is best on market followed by mepps.......but for a small lure for trout u cannot beat the grasshopper color in a 0 or 1.....also the bigger sizes in red and white are killer on jack

#8 ·
Nice "go to" bait

2nd only to the Beetle spin as my "go to" catch anything lure. Great for beginners to learn to control speed and fall. Can be used anywhere in the water column. I like white, black n yellow, green n brown. Great for bream, perch, crappie, almost always manage a stray bass even if its a dink.

#9 ·
2nd only to the Beetle spin as my "go to" catch anything lure. Great for beginners to learn to control speed and fall. Can be used anywhere in the water column. I like white, black n yellow, green n brown. Great for bream, perch, crappie, almost always manage a stray bass even if its a dink.
size zero in grasshoper color is killer on trout

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.