Changes to NC Fishing License requirements

Thread: Changes to NC Fishing License requirements

Default Changes to NC Fishing License requirements

Hello All,

I'm fairly new to this list, so if this has been covered already, I have not seen this. I am still running to a LOT of fishermen who are totally unaware of this change in the law.

North Carolina state fishing license requirements changed effective January 1, 2007. All fishermen, ages 16 and older, regardless of bait used or county of residence, must have an inland freshwater or a coastal recreational fishing license in order to fish in the respective areas. This does not include fishing in private ponds.

The regulations regarding fishing requirements are located in electronic form at North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission

The entire WRC Regulations Digest is available in electronic form at http://www.ncwildlife.com/pg02_Regs/...ons_Digest.pdf

I know that from a State Park perspective, we are issuing warnings tickets only until Jan. 1, 2008, unless we come across a repeat offender, then citations are issued. I believe that WRC is doing the same.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Blog Entries

Default Re: Changes to NC Fishing License requirements

It has been covered several times in posts and in my blog but it is worthy of further reminders. Thanks!

rangergreg281 likes this.

Story time....

I was out at the ol' hole last week, fishing for some white perch. As were a group of about 20-22 year old kids. It was a Saturday and the Game Warden is known for dropping in Saturday mornings. Well, up pulls his white SUV and we all knew who he was. All the regulars reeled in our lines since he ALWAYS brings bad luck, and just got our licenses handy.

Well one of the young kids realizes his license is magically gone. Maybe it had something to do with him never purchasing one. He decides he'll be slick and put his rod down and go stand over there with his other pal and claim he was "watching".

Warden checks us all, and makes his way across to where the other kid is. Asks him for his license and the kid responds "Im not fishing. Do you SEE a pole in my hands?" To which the Warden responds "No, but I saw one in your hands for over half an hour when I was over there in the truck watching you fish. Got your license?"

Just for popping off to the Warden and generally being a snot... he wrote the kid the full $140 ticket.

So much for the warnings......

and I maintain, it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Couple young boys were fishing at their special pond off the beaten track, when out of the bushes jumped the game warden!

Immediately, one of the boys threw his rod down and started running through the woods and hot on his heels came the game warden.

After about a half mile, the guy stopped and stooped over with his hands on his thighs to catch his breath and the game warden finally caught up to him.

"Let's see yer fishin license, boy!" the warden gasped.

With that, the guy pulled out his wallet and gave the game warden a valid fishing license. "Well, son," said the Game Warden. "You must be about as dumb as a box of rocks! You don't have to run from me if you have a valid license!" "Yes sir," replied the young feller. "But my friend back there, well, he don't have one..."

R4ED likes this.

Let me tell you a story ..
    While I was still living in NY, I used to come to Raleigh for training. Flying in over Falls lake always had me envisioning that 30Lb Southern Bass we all see on the Tele. So on one paticular trip I brought my break down pole and planned to stay over the weekend. Sunday morning I wake up early call a few bait shops and discover their not issuing licenses .. never thought of Walmart .. in any case I take a cab to Falls Lake .. get out at the park office on Creedmore and proceed to fish .. I'm not there 5min when a bass boat pulls up w/ two sharply dressed gentleman who whistle and encourage me to come over to the dock ..
    The 1st question I get is may I see your lic .. I explain I'm visiting, I tried to get one etc .. the next question I get is "are you using live or artifical bait". Well .. I was a bit confused .. what possible relevance to the sit ... and with a J9 Rapala dangling of the end of my pole .. I thought it was obvious .. and I AM an honest fisherman .. I said artifical. They looked so disappointed as they wrote out a ticket for $120.00 ..

So the live/artificial clause in Wake county is no longer ?????

Quote Originally Posted by Hisheirs View Post
    Let me tell you a story ..
    While I was still living in NY, I used to come to Raleigh for training. Flying in over Falls lake always had me envisioning that 30Lb Southern Bass we all see on the Tele. So on one paticular trip I brought my break down pole and planned to stay over the weekend. Sunday morning I wake up early call a few bait shops and discover their not issuing licenses .. never thought of Walmart .. in any case I take a cab to Falls Lake .. get out at the park office on Creedmore and proceed to fish .. I'm not there 5min when a bass boat pulls up w/ two sharply dressed gentleman who whistle and encourage me to come over to the dock ..
    The 1st question I get is may I see your lic .. I explain I'm visiting, I tried to get one etc .. the next question I get is "are you using live or artifical bait". Well .. I was a bit confused .. what possible relevance to the sit ... and with a J9 Rapala dangling of the end of my pole .. I thought it was obvious .. and I AM an honest fisherman .. I said artifical. They looked so disappointed as they wrote out a ticket for $120.00 ..

So the live/artificial clause in Wake county is no longer ?????
    Correct. Until January 2007, you could fish without a license SO LONG as you were in the county of your residence and you used live bait.

Now, you must have a license on any public waterway no matter what bait you use.
    "Do yourself a favor. Take a kid fishing." - Franc White

there is one caveat that i read about, however......

you do not have to pay for your license if you receive any sort of government assistance. Reasoning behind that is that you would be feeding a family.

not making judgments, just putting that out there

Quote Originally Posted by BCdogs14 View Post
    there is one caveat that i read about, however......

you do not have to pay for your license if you receive any sort of government assistance. Reasoning behind that is that you would be feeding a family.

not making judgments, just putting that out there

Correct. You have to have a written waiver from your County Dept. of Social Services.
    "Do yourself a favor. Take a kid fishing." - Franc White

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements