Show us your fishing kayak setup - Page 2
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: Show us your fishing kayak setup

Red X Angler
    Captains Club

That is a nice set-up Linda It wouldn't be that much trouble to mount a couple of pieces of PVC pipe at angle on the front of your crate so that they would be closer and sticking out to each side of you making it easier to grab them. A drill, hacksaw, and some big ty-raps. let me know if I can help any way. I have cut up a lot of PVC and fittings to get things to suit me, but I have learned few tricks.

Darrell
    LocaLinda, and RouseD like this.

Red X Angler

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Both sides of the crate have stuff attached already (bags, knife holder, pocket for sunglasses) and the front is flush right against the front of the kayak hold compartment. I've thought about turning it around so the rod holders are closest to me, but then the rods would be in the way of opening the top of the tackle box (and I do open the top a lot). Isn't much extra room on the darned thing, we barely found a spot for the GO guys to attach the Scotty rod holder that's on there. I keep telling myself I'll get Scotty flush mount rod holders installed but haven't gotten around to it. Or, I could mount a rod holder on one of the groove tracks on the side of the yak, but I've discovered it's harder to cast while sitting down when you have stuff pointing up in the air all over the place around the yak.

In the meantime, I tell myself it's good aerobic exercise to have to stretch ALL the way back to grab my rods. I don't want to get lazy out there.
    dbeam likes this.

Linda, you may have room enough behind your seat to use for a tackle bag, and a small ice bag for drinks. I do this with my Ride 135. Haven't lost any of it yet. It fits snugly between the back of my seat, and the office crate. I'll take the handles on the tackle bag, and put that over my seat, so my back is resting on it. Couldn't see a Scotty rod holder mounted in front of you. I like the ones where you can put the rod holders up higher, instead of the flush mounts because if you get a wavbe over your boat in the salt, your reels could get submerged, and it just keeps them up from any spray also. I have arthrits, and am short, so I had to get things further forward from my tank well, so I could reach them easier. I also use one of the ice bags from Sams Club. They have a failry long handle, so I'll put it behind the office crate, and throw the handle forward, si I can put fish that I would like to keep in it. I had enough room for a 25 quart Igloo ice chest in my tank wekk, behind the office crate, but had to get out of my yak to put fish in it. Maybe some of these ideas will help, or help you think of other ways.
    dbeam likes this.

RED X ANGLER

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

All great ideas! I did try one of those Sam's club bags, put a red in it and tried to store it and a flounder in my big hatch (with some "freeze packs" in there). It was about 95 on the water that day and the red was rotten by the time I got back to shore (the flounder was ok). From now on if I catch a red I'm going to use a stringer until shore, then do a quick cleaning and put filets on ice immediately for the 4 hour drive home. Might even get a Yeti to keep in my SUV so I have ice ready right away. I gave up trying to keep ice on the yak a long time ago - am just drinking bottled water and it's fine warm.

Tackle bag loops over the seat is a great idea, especially if I get the new Slayer yak someday which has a bunch of room (wasted, in my opinion) behind the seat where they put that little cup holder (for what??). On my Tarpon there's not much room there (I can jam one bait bucket there, barely), but I could use that space better. And good point on the flush mounts, though my rods/reels get soaked on every trip anyway. It would be nice to have adjustable/removable holders. Attached a pic where you can better see the one Scotty holder I currently use. Should just get a couple more of those and attach to the track, now that I'm looking at the pic. Duh.

Sorry to take up so much space on this thread talking about myself - there are way cooler rigging ideas out there, I'm just a beginner. Great to hear from friends, though - thanks guys!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	DSCF0092 - Version 2.jpg‎
Views:	1027
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	44523
    dbeam, Deckape, JBassAssassin, and suds67 like this.

Default Show us your fishing kayak setup

Seems you could keep an igloo in the car and buy a bag of ice on the way out of town... As seldom as I catch keepers, it would take me a long time to break even on the cost of a yeti.
    dbeam, LocaLinda, and NCPIERMAN like this.

"God grant me the serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
    the courage not to fib about it, and the wisdom to know that
    nobody would believe me anyway."

This is a setup I made to fish the ocean & inside . The little top is for my little Yorkie that always goes with me. Except in the
    ocean.

Yak-A-T-Yak Fishing Team , Tandom / Ocean Malibu Two XL and Nautic Star 21 Bay

Good to see you are doing well with the kayak fishing Linda. I was beginning to wonder if you had moved on to something else.
    dbeam, and RouseD like this.

So many rivers... so little time. Long may you run.

Breeze! What a great setup! You got a life vest for the yorkie?? Too cute!
    dbeam, and RouseD like this.

"Loca" (crazy) Red X Angler
    "Who is this, that He commands even the winds and water, and they obey?"

Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Good to see you are doing well with the kayak fishing Linda. I was beginning to wonder if you had moved on to something else.
    I'm not online often, my friend - if I'm not working or playing Black Ops, I'm probably fishing and that takes a whole lot of time and energy! But yep, still loving it. No regrets.

I just posted mine, look in the boats section. After seeing this, I see I need a LOT more stuff in mine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	The Carp1.jpg‎
Views:	950
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	44761
    bwguffey, Jackson, LocaLinda, and RouseD like this.

It's a fine line that separates a fisherman from a fool standing next to the water.

Red X Angler
    Captains Club

What is that? Very cool paint job!

Darrell
    RouseD likes this.

Red X Angler

Quote Originally Posted by lefty View Post
    Seems you could keep an igloo in the car and buy a bag of ice on the way out of town... As seldom as I catch keepers, it would take me a long time to break even on the cost of a yeti.
    I agree, but just caught a keeper red on Sunday and realized why a Yeti with ice in it might be helpful - I kept the red alive until shore, then cleaned it on shore, then had to pack up all my stuff, tie down the yak, etc. etc. and by the time I got to a gas station with ice (and sometimes they're out of ice, by the way, when the fish are hitting) it was almost an hour later. My red was fine (got him on ice asap in the cooler bag) but on a hot day, that extra hour of baking could be a problem. If I had had ice in the car he would have been on it almost immediately (and then I could take my time loading up and getting out of the launch). Plus sometimes I bring shrimp home that weren't used for bait, and they start to stink very fast if they aren't iced.

Could be dreaming, but I'm hoping to catch more keepers.
    dbeam, redspringsfisherman, and RouseD like this.

Well after working on it throughout the week, I think I have the cuda set up the way I want it "for now" (cause that always changes)

Click image for larger version.

Name:	Cuda Rigged.jpg
Views:	1069
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	46381

2012 Jackson Cuda - Black Widow

Quote Originally Posted by ferggiej View Post
    Well after working on it throughout the week, I think I have the cuda set up the way I want it "for now" (cause that always changes)
    That's a great setup - everything reachable. Looks like a fishing machine! Thanks for posting!

Here's mine: Native 12' Ultimate, anchor trolley, 2 lb claw anchor(works great in sand or mud), and the Stinger which is a shallow water stern anchor system using a steel pole you lower by way of a line(not shown).
    the trailer is a steel jetski trailer and can handle up to 4 yaks with a removable frame i had made for it.

lets go fishing!
    Click image for larger version.

Name:	das_boats-1.jpg
Views:	873
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	46468
    2840-FISH, and oldkayaker like this.

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast