NC Angler Forums banner

Show us your fishing kayak setup

186K views 354 replies 130 participants last post by  Smalliesam 
#1 ·
A member suggested a "sticky" thread in the Kayak Fishing forum where members can show photos of their kayak setup with descriptions of how they set it up and why. If you use it for specific species of fish and change things up for others please include that too. Information on fish finders, paddles, bait tanks, rod holders, etc. will be interesting and helpful to others. So if you own a fishing kayak show it off here! :cool:

#32 ·
Tricked out my Old Town 119 river boat a few years ago. I've since switched seats and got a kayak paddle, but this gives you the general idea. Anchor system works great, even in swift rivers. Undressed, weighs about 50 lbs. Slow, but cheap and versatile.

Full build thread here ... http://www.ncangler.com/forums/threads/29635-OT-Guide-119-Modifications

-Jeff

#35 ·
Noticed Jeff's comment in the build thread about getting wet using a borrowed kayak paddle. I discovered years ago that the shorter the paddle, the wetter you seem to get. Although you may be able to paddle just fine with a shorter paddle, the upright stroke required brings the paddle further inside the boat (at the time I paddled a long cockpit SIK) dumping more water. A longer paddle, though it requires more effort, requires a flatter stroke which will keep you drier. PapaDave's got the king of paddles to use with his 119. Not sure how long it is... either 9 or 10 feet.

#36 ·
Noticed Jeff's comment in the build thread about getting wet using a borrowed kayak paddle. I discovered years ago that the shorter the paddle, the wetter you seem to get. Although you may be able to paddle just fine with a shorter paddle, the upright stroke required brings the paddle further inside the boat (at the time I paddled a long cockpit SIK) dumping more water. A longer paddle, though it requires more effort, requires a flatter stroke which will keep you drier. PapaDave's got the king of paddles to use with his 119. Not sure how long it is... either 9 or 10 feet.
I now use a 280 cm BB slice glass. Works great for me and only get's wet up front when I have to really turn on the jets with a high angle stroke!

#41 · (Edited)
I have 2 boats i use the most a wilderness pamlico 100 and a crescent extreme fisher II use try to use the sit on top on bigger waters and in the summer in creeks where i get out and portage the wilderness is my winter tight areas fast boat where if i need speed it is avalible both use scotty rod holders at least 6 rods at any time the wilderness has an anchor trolley and quick acces tools hook removers measuring boards stringers attachments it even has a custom livewell the wilderness is an awsome boat for secret crappie fishing spots with the ability to fish 6 rods down wiht 2 rigged in wait if a rig gets broke off

see the stuf your imagination can get you into .... think of the mess when a biggun gets on and makes a run ..

Attachments

#43 ·
...see the stuf your imagination can get you into...
Truer words have not been spoken brother!

This is my 9'10" Ocean Kayak complete w/ the Bait School Technology* paint job..AKA Valspar glitter spray paint and Krylon Fusion
Okay that's freakin' sweet! How's it held up, or have you had it on the water yet? I'm thinking about sayin' it with Krylon too on one of my other boats ;)

#44 ·
In my experience any spray paint is as good as the next. It may be marketed for plastic or whatever if any of the get scratched- it's coming off. Only 2 things that help are roughing it up and primer but the investment doesn't seem to matter much. It's just something you accept and the newer it is the easier it will come off. You just accept the battle scars and not a big deal to redo later if it bothers you.
No paint on this one but here's my tourer rigged for cast and blast.
With. SIK deck and bungees all I had to add is the crate and a car topper foam for the gun "rack". Boat Water Watercraft Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Vehicle

Www.hardcorekayakfishing.com
Them Hardcore boys

#47 ·
First Gen Perception Caster 12.5 Overloaded
Milk Crate x4 Rod Tubes
Surf to Summit GTS Expedition Seat
Eagle Cuda 300 Front Thru-Hull
Humminbird 570DI Rear In Water Mount
2x Beaver Creek rod holders on sides
1 Scotty Baitcaster OEM center
12 ah AGM battery Up front in Foam Holder
Nerf Ball Scupper Plugs
Werner Camano Carbon Paddle

GHETTO FABOLUS!

#52 ·
hello every one, first off nice yaks guys! does any one have a yak that they would want to sell? I will be willing to come and pick it up and pay cash on the spot I live around the Wilmington area.. just looking for something to get started in yak fishing and just to get back out on the water and local ponds and lakes... and any pointers would be great.. looking for something not crazy expensive but something stable...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.