Show us your fishing kayak setup
Page 1 of 24 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Show us your fishing kayak setup

Sponsor
    Captains Club
    Blog Entries

Default Show us your fishing kayak setup

A member suggested a "sticky" thread in the Kayak Fishing forum where members can show photos of their kayak setup with descriptions of how they set it up and why. If you use it for specific species of fish and change things up for others please include that too. Information on fish finders, paddles, bait tanks, rod holders, etc. will be interesting and helpful to others. So if you own a fishing kayak show it off here!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I recently bought a new kayak for my seat. Thanks to recommendations from Stew Rat and a Jackson Kayak representative , Mark Wheeler, I purchased a Jackson CUDA. This being my first new kayak, I wanted to get the best kayak for where I fish. I have been fishing at the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel, Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel and Rudee. I still love the freshwater too. In my humble and honest opinion, the Cuda is the F/A18 of fishing kayaks. Stable and fast enough to stand up and fish and handle the 3 knot current around the CBBT. Not at the same time of course, well not yet anyway. I haven't modified it at all as it comes ready right off the shelf. But I may add a forward rod holder and other things later after more trips. My behind is what drew me to the Cuda. The seat on my Tarpon was really hurting me. So this is my new kayak and I highly recommend it. Sorry I haven't been around much lately, I have been getting my behind in the brine.

Wayne
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1343174108644.jpg‎
Views:	3005
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	43313

Angler Member
    Kayak Angler

You can pretty much see all the rigging on my Manta Ray 14 in this photo:
    Click image for larger version.

Name:	P6290004.JPG
Views:	2255
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	43314
    Humminbird 385ci with in-hull transducer, and a RAM rod holder for trolling. I have a milk crate with rod holders on it, but I rarely take it on the boat. Now I try to just carry 1 or 2 tackle trays in an old army surplus bag, and usually 2 rods that I'll haul around in the fashion shown in the pic . Sometimes I put a cooler in the back if I want to keep fish.

At first I carried alot of gear, but I've gotten to where I prefer the bare minimum for a given trip. If I had any complaint about the Manta Ray itself, it would be that it is not really suitable for standing in. Other than that it handles rough water great and has a dry ride, and I can paddle near 5mph at full steam ahead. The seat is comfortable to fish in all day, and it has enough stowage space for a TON of stuff.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Default My humble Perception Prodigy 10' SIK

I've posted bits and pieces when sharing ideas but since this is an ideas thread, here's the whole boat.

I never had the intention of overdoing it but I like convenience and toys. I've never considered myself a kayak angler either... More like, "angler with a kayak" (or better yet "just too cheap to fill up the bassboat" lol)

Most interesting is probably the motor, a totally heretical self-engineered BassYaks knockoff with some twists. Started out as a 35lb MK Tiller, bought it on CL for $35 (had a burned out speed coil). Aside from lots of cutting and re-engineering I added a 40lb thrust conversion, Kipawa prop, digital speed control, grounded lower unit and other crap. Steering, tilt, momentary on/off and reverse are all controlled with the foot braces so it's hands-free. It will rotate 290 degrees so curb-to-curb (shore-to-shore?) is 10'. It can be tilted/lowered from the cockpit and can be installed/removed on the boat in about 1 minute. Totally submersible too.

Battery, speed control, biner for tools and umbrella mount on back of the seat. Battery is an AGM Group 24 on a quick- disconnect - Should the boat turn over, the battery will fall to the bottom so the boat can be righted.

Another biner for tools and the motor tilt release - Pull the handle, push both pedals forward and up it goes.

Simple anchor trolley. I've got the typical setup, used an old fishing marker bouy as an anchor float.

Side-imaging sonar with GPS (HB 798ci HD SI). Unit is mounted to an angled piece of aluminum extended from the seat. Transducer mount is 1x1/8" aluminum bolted between the motor mount and the keel peice.

Hardwired 12v LED bow lighting, simple anchor trolley and removable rope and bow handle.

Hardwired 12v LED stern lighting and adjustable rod carrier.

RAM ball mounts, cupholder, RodSaver, lighting switches, 12v outlet, umbrella mount, tackle storage and LED under-dash lighting on both sides of the panel. The dash is cutting board but I added some diamond-tread material and aluminum accents for a little flair. The tackle bag is hanging from hookeyes. Somewhere under there is also a collapsible paddle.

One of the collapsible electric downriggers I built last year from a power window motor. I keep the short shaft on it for that 4lb ball, works like a champ.

Anyway thats it, at least until I figure out something else to install on it

good lord, guffey -- that is a delightfully overthought rig! i love it. // joel
    bwguffey, and oldkayaker like this.

Always under-promise & over-deliver (Fortune Cookie)
    Native Mariner 12.5 Propel / Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Awesome set up ...!!! How is the trolling motor mounted on the rear.Did you get a regular one & cut the shaft yourself.
    bwguffey likes this.

EDDIE TARHEEL FLY FLINGERS " RED X ANGLER "
    "BOWFIN ANGLER "

All yaks are awesome.

Guffey, I should have taken a closer look at your yak when we fished together. Fantastic thinking.
    bwguffey likes this.

RED X ANGLER

Thanks guys! Yall are right, it's definately a little overthought but I've got too much time to tinker

Quote Originally Posted by YAKATTACK FLY FLINGER View Post
    Awesome set up ...!!! How is the trolling motor mounted on the rear.Did you get a regular one & cut the shaft yourself.
    I did, it started as a plane-jane MK 35lb transom mount. I cut the shaft, replaced the cable with 10guage line cord and trailer wiring connectors, then sealed the top with underground shrink tubing. The steering is a mix of ABS plumbing components, ice machine tubing and vinyl coated SS cable.

For the mount, I replaced the pivot pin with a trailer hitch pin so I could remove it quickly. Then I just cut the clamps off and through-bolted it to an aluminum backing plate. Didn't take any closeups of the Prodigy but here are a couple from my Ride (identical mounts).

I have 2 kayaks and I go w/ the philosophy of "simple is as simple does". The first kayak is "Laserhawk" and I got that in Feb 2011. It's a 2002 16' Ocean Kayak 'Manta' model. Basically a touring kayak that had 2 rod holders installed just behind the seat and an anchor trolley when I bought it from a freind. I have since added via bungy hold downs a milk crate that has a 3-rod holder piece zip-tied in front of me and a tupperware carrier behind me for tackle. It's stable yet not comfortable enough to stand in but tracks well and pretty fast. Click image for larger version.

Name:	bass.jpg
Views:	1762
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	43762 This picture shows a milkcrate behind me, not the tupperware but same concept. When I go out and stay past dark, I bring a battery powered stern light that I place in one ofthe rod holders. My other yak I got at the beginning of this summer and it's name is 'Kazoo'. It's a 2008 Wilderness Ride 135 and has 3 rod holders installed on it, 2 just behind the seats and one in front of me. It also had 2 cleats, one in the front and one in the back installed and I have not altered this baot since I got it. I do hope to add a rudder but that's about all the alterations I plan on doing. Both these yaks have served me well and have been slimed plenty. Click image for larger version.

Name:	07121219362.jpg
Views:	1284
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	43763

By the way BWGuffey, WOW! Some impressive stuff there!
    bwguffey, and RouseD like this.

Thanks man! You oughtta post a pic of that Manta's bow... I imagine most guys have never seen a design like that and it's one of the coolest big-water boats out there. Been on the lookout for one for a while now, shame they quit making them

It is a cool bow. I'm ashamed to say I havent taken it in the ocean yet, but it handles big wakes and sound chop well. Here's a picture of my two yaks together as well as a head on picture of the Manta's bow. One thing that I didnt mention about my boats was coolers and on Laserhawk, I have a cooler bag strapped to the side of the front crate ad you can see that in the photos. On Kazoo, I have a bag that came w/ the boat and pretty much is shaped like, and fills the tankwell, it's not shown here.Click image for larger version.

Name:	downsized_0812121610.jpg
Views:	1577
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	43809Click image for larger version.

Name:	downsized_0812121609a.jpg
Views:	1149
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	43810

Red X Angler
    Captains Club

Adding some pictures of my set-up on my OK Drifter. When the crate is removed the trolling rod holders come out of the well with it. The spinning rod holders come off of the set-up and can be left at home or put in the crate. The wheels came off of an industrial trash buggy, they fasten with a wing nut through the unused rudder mounting hole. The front dash holds the net or a couple of tackle boxes. The top of the dash holds 3 or 4 more rod holders for use when I am switching between rods while casting. The depth finder is connected to the thru hull transducer and battery under the front hatch. The seat is an old plastic boat seat with a removable cover. The anchor trolley serves second duty as a paddle holder.

Thanks to Brownale for the rod holder idea and to the makers of NuCanoe for the idea on how to mount the wheels.

Darrell

Name:	100_0380.jpg‎
Views:	1749
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	43871 Click image for larger version.

Name:	100_0381.jpg‎
Views:	1676
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	43872 Click image for larger version.

Name:	100_0382.jpg‎
Views:	1743
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	43873 Click image for larger version.

Name:	100_0383.jpg‎
Views:	1828
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	43874

Red X Angler

Angler Member
    Kayak Angler

....always knew I was something of a minimalist
    mainly 'cause I'm too lazy to make a bunch of modifications, but also learned that a bunch of rodholders and such get in my way and annoy me mostly.
    Here's my 2004ish tarpon 120.
    I usually keep 2 UL rods, and 2 regular rods in my lap.
    Only useful modification is the scotty ashtray. Those flush mount ashtrays are difficult to clean out

They gonna burn a honeysuckle when I die

I would LOVE to be able to build and put things together the way you guys do, but I'm not good at that stuff, so my setup is very simple. Also over the 3 years of doing this I've started bringing less and less on board - like to keep the deck clean and things more organized. I have a side-mounted fishfinder but lately I only fish the coast (very shallow) and it's pretty useless there, plus being side mounted it was a bit in the way, so it's been sitting in the garage. Would love to have one installed in the hull, someday.

My "essentials" - an anchor trolley and a good anchor that will hold in sand (still working on that one). Paddle leash (actually cut mine shorter so all that extra fabric wasn't cluttering the boat). Milk crate mostly to carry water, minimal tackle and rods since I don't have any installed rod holders (wish I did). Scotty rod holder brings one rod closer to me to be able to reach it (I have a stretch to reach the back of the milk crate, even with the Tarpon 140 setup which puts the back hold right behind the seat). A "sticky" pole to anchor me in sand bars - use it all the time. Good compass (Brunton) attaches to front of yak, has gotten me back to the launch a few times when I got turned around. As for the yak, I absolutely love it for speed, durability, ease of paddling (even for a small person like me), comfort (I usually spend 8 to 10 hours on the water), and stability (got rocked by whitecaps off Beaufort once and the Tarpon handled them beautifully). It also has plenty of storage in two front hatches for dry bags. Just wish I could stand up in it to get a better view of the water (am drooling over the new "Slayer" yaks from NW, wonder if they're as cool as they look).

Anyway - simple, but like most yaks it's a great way to catch fish.

Name:	IMG_0164.jpg‎
Views:	1961
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	44488

"Loca" (crazy) Red X Angler
    "Who is this, that He commands even the winds and water, and they obey?"

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 24 12345611 ... LastLast