Freshwater Wilson Creek 11/23/12
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wilson Creek 11/23/12

Default Wilson Creek 11/23/12

Had a nice morning on the water. Was on the water by about 7:30 and off the water by shortly after 10 just before things got too crazy for my liking around there.

Hooked into more chunk male brookies than ever before. They have to be brood stockers. Most of them has some fresh wounds. Also caught a nice brown towards the end of my adventure. Probably my best Wilson Creek brown.

Every fish today was taken on a red Squirmy Wormie. Started out with glow blue and then an orange and finally started getting into them with the reds. The brookies would chase down the worms and nail them if they made it past them on the drift. Caught a couple of small rainbows, another small brown and a couple of there small brookies to end up with a hat trick for the day.

While preparing for a camera shoot of the last brookie I was hunched down in a couple inches of water and lost my balance. In slow motion I fell over backwards and got some nice cool Wilson Creek water in the back of my waders. The best part was feeling that water hit my feet at the bottom after standing up! It took it a little bit to get down there because of my pack that doubles as a wading belt but when it did, brr! Did manage to save the camera though. It was about the only thing that didn't get wet. Good thing it wasn't a cold day. I guess it is time to really save my cash and get a water proof fishing camera.

Here is the proof.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

looks like a great day, very jealous of you.
    Was this on the Wilson Creek near Linville?

Between Linville and Lenoir. Let me know if you want to go sometime. Do you fly fish?

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Great report and great fishing! Congrats too, those are definately some front page trout!

wings....I believe you were trying to imitate my underwater trout attracting dance. Nice fish and pics. At least you remembered to bring all your gear
    RouseD likes this.

Red X angler

I have a long way to go to catch up to your underwater trout attracting dance skills.

Edit: Wow I made the front page! Thanks!!
    RouseD likes this.

Yup, state is turning over its male brookie brood stock and its entire rainbow brood stock. Very nice for those of us who piddle around on the DH waters.

Had a solid day on the wilson as well yesterday. Here are a few...cheers!Click image for larger version.

Name:	Trout Wilson.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	46924Click image for larger version.

Name:	Trout Wilson2.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	46925
    RouseD likes this.

Red X Angler
    Captains Club

Well Done Doug! that is some pretty fish. Glad to see you using the flyrod some people don't won't to work that hard for them

I guess this means you opted for Wilson instead of Gunpowder? Probably to nice for Stripes anyway.
    RouseD likes this.

Red X Angler

WoollyBugger - what did you get your fish on?

dbeam - Thanks! Too much work.... just keep trying to justify that tackle use on those poor trout. I bet they go back and tell their friends they were just abused after getting release.

Ended up fishing both Wilson and Gunpowder. Lots of bait at Gunpowder. Fished an A-rig and got hit 4 or 5 times and couldn't seal the deal. Each time I came back with a slightly bent hook. I have small slider jig hook on it. Need to find a heavier wire hook for it. I did end up with a nice 15 inch bullhead a bit later. Sacrificed a few minnows too but never hooked up on that. Had a few hits but I think they were small fish.
    dbeam, and RouseD like this.

Red X Angler
    Captains Club

Sounds Good! When do you get out for Christmas?

Darrell
    Red X Angler

Quote Originally Posted by dbeam View Post
    Well Done Doug! that is some pretty fish. Glad to see you using the flyrod some people don't won't to work that hard for them
    I wish I could afford to work that hard for 'em. I've loved my time with the long rod, but I've had to borrow equipment to do it. Everything associated with fly fishing is just so dang expensive, and my budget just won't cover it all at once. Other than the expense, my only complaint about fly fishing is that I think it takes a little too long to land bigger fish on the fly. You have to exhaust the fish more thoroughly than you usually have to do with conventional tackle, and that's not really good for them if you intend to release them.

[QUOTE=dbeam;373478]Sounds Good! When do you get out for Christmas?

Doug, kinda sweet being a state employee, Huh
    Red X angler

If you're looking to get into some deals on fly gear, there's no time like right now. A few places have some monster deals on rods and reels including free shipping.

Red X Angler
    Captains Club

[QUOTE=slickrocktom;373496]
    Quote Originally Posted by dbeam View Post
    Sounds Good! When do you get out for Christmas?

Doug, kinda sweet being a state employee, Huh
    What is your Christmas sch. Tom?

Darrell
    Red X Angler

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast