NC Angler Forums banner

Neuse shad!!

59K views 303 replies 54 participants last post by  Gremlinsrus 
#1 ·
Ok lets start the annual Neuse river shad report. last year we were cathing BIG american shad in goldsboro on the first weekend of February. with the fairly warm winter and the first high water of the winter im pretty sure the shad should be moving up soon. let the reports begin.

#89 ·
Fished goldsboro yesterday morning. water was to high and only saw one other boat catch a fish. headed to pitchkettle for the last bit of the day. we were in the hole for a hour and pulled five. the ole lady even caught her first shad. her first time shad fishing and first shad. would have tried to get down there at first light but SOMEONE wanted to sleep in. Ill be down there again this weekend in a 18 foot sea ark with my old man. by the way thanks to the guys that helped me with trailering my boat, you guys were great.

Jeans Smile Boat Plant Sky
Wood Seafood Wall Fish Food

#94 ·
I fished up there yesterday too...but only for an hour or so without so much as a bump. Never realized how cold 40 degrees and a slight northerly breeze can be. The river was about 2 ft. above what I consider a good flow for shad but not too muddy. The four other half-frozen guys I spoke with had a total of two bucks for and entire morning of casting. If we can squeeze by today's storm without torrents of rainfall, things will improve - I hope!

#95 ·
I was hoping you would get on the shad Steve. I feel lucky that I caught the one shad I got yesterday. The temp felt more like freezing then 40 degs. After my feet got cold, and with no more hits, it was time for me to go home. If you had called me, I would have gone back to fish with you.

#97 ·
Kinston got a lot of rain yesterday, but upriver will be the deciding factor of how high the Neuse gets. More rain/snow coming, but hope it isn't a lot. Hmmm, wondering if the river height, and water temps are holding on to be good for the Red X Angler M&G.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.