1 Fisherman, 1 Rod, 1 Lure, 1 Spot, 2 Hours, 0 White Perch!!!

Thread: 1 Fisherman, 1 Rod, 1 Lure, 1 Spot, 2 Hours, 0 White Perch!!!

Default 1 Fisherman, 1 Rod, 1 Lure, 1 Spot, 2 Hours, 0 White Perch!!!

Belews was living up to it's TOUGH reputation again today! I was busy all day, but saw a 2 hour window this afternoon that I could get in a few casts and the thoughts of fishing in January in my t-shirt was more than I could turn down. Put in at Piney Bluff @ 2:45 and fishing by 3pm. First fish on by 3:30 (Make that first 2 fish!)

It slowed then to only one at a time, but they started getting larger.

Then, they started getting faster! This was #3 of 3 fish in 3 casts.

Finished up with #9, largest of the day, just before 5pm. Looked like something tried to take a bite out of his backside!

So, Belews was so tough today, I fished on til almost 5:30 trying to get to double digits, but had to settle for 9! Best part: After Doc & I cracked the code recently on Belews' White Perch infestation, I managed to be bothered today by 0 WP!

All bass today ranged in size from 3/4-3 1/2lb and were caught in 15-30FOW on a Strike King 1/2oz lipless crank in Char Sexy Shad. The water was slick! Water temp 54. My kind of winter!

BroncoTwisterJim
    Red X Angler

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

That's a good day of fishing to me! Nicely done
    broncotwisterjim likes this.

Red X Angler
    There is always a way

Thank ya', Sir! It was fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Abert43 View Post
    That's a good day of fishing to me! Nicely done
    Abert43 likes this.

BroncoTwisterJim
    Red X Angler

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

We appreciate your sacrifice.
    broncotwisterjim, and Doc_Love like this.

There ya go, catching em 2 and a time again ... showoff!!! LOL!!

Nicely done Jim!!!! You Da Man!!!!

Central North Carolina Bass Anglers Trail - facebook Cncba Trail & twitter @cncba_trail

If memory serves, you're off tomorrow....... No fishing?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Love View Post
    There ya go, catching em 2 and a time again ... showoff!!! LOL!!

Nicely done Jim!!!! You Da Man!!!!
    BroncoTwisterJim
    Red X Angler

Do I have access to a guide?
    Central North Carolina Bass Anglers Trail - facebook Cncba Trail & twitter @cncba_trail

Thanks for the replies, folks! Just noticed the blog award and homepage posting! It's a first for me and I am truly HONORED!!! This is an awesome site and I am a very proud member!

Doc-

Checking my availability now. Stand by!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Love View Post
    Do I have access to a guide?
    Abert43, and Doc_Love like this.

BroncoTwisterJim
    Red X Angler

If I had a baby sitter tomorrow I'd be out there for sure. This post doesn't make my inability to get out and fish any easier!

Nice catch, Jim... way to go. I got my order from Bass Pro today, it includes a couple of the baits we talked about and a couple I want to try. There *might* be a couple lipless cranks in that box.

Now I just gotta find time to get on the water. I'm almost pacing with frustration over not being able to get out there tomorrow but so far I'm not finding a way. Hope you guys get to catch some!
    Doc_Love likes this.

- Sam
    "Things are only impossible until they're not!"

Sam-

Don't wear a hole in the carpet Just yet! So far this fall & winter, the fishing @ Belews seems to keep getting better. I think, as long as the weather doesn't turn too nasty for too long, the fishing should remain pretty solid. Nice work on the crank purchase!

Jim
    BroncoTwisterJim
    Red X Angler

Part 2-

2 Fishermen, 10 Rods, 100 Lures, 20 Spots, 5 Hours, 10 Gallons of Fuel, 2 Bass!!!

After reading this post from yesterday, my old pal, Doc took the bait and decided to come fishing at Belews today. Well, the monster reared it's ugly head and all returned to normal today at Belews! We fished hard for 5 hours, multiple areas, multiple baits, multiple presentations, 2 fish! What a difference a day makes. All the surface activity of the shad was GONE! We marked bait balls deep and very few fish scattered and inactive. Talking to other anglers on the water, we kept hearing the bass today described as having "Lockjaw"! (Note to self: Never good when you hear that.)

Oh well, we had a blast and fished hard. Lots of casting practice, strategizing, fisherman-self-analysis, etc...... Doc's fish was caught dragging a secondary point with a Tx rig junebug worm and mine on the trusty old lipless crank in 25fow.

Interesting observation: Water temp difference from hot hole to upper end is normally 10 degrees. Only 5 today (59-60 @ NC65 bridges & 64-65 @ boat barrier). There was some current in hot ditch, but not as strong as normal, so I'm thinking Duke had the flow cut down, affecting current and temps. I know tomorrow is forecast to be cooler and rain showers tonight and tomorrow. Not sure, but wondered if this weather change had the activity slowed. Something sure did!
    Doc_Love, and wademaster like this.

BroncoTwisterJim
    Red X Angler

dragging a secondary point with a Tx rig
    Of all things this was what jumped out at me. Not that it's observer bias.

Thanks for the report. And this will sound hard to believe, but I am both genuinely sorry you guys didn't have the day pan out as expected, and genuinely feel better that it's at least conceivable that while pacing the floors today entertaining a 5.5 month old, I wasn't missing quite as much as it *felt* like I was missing.

I am guessing that since next weekend will be my next day off, there will be a big cold front like say... Friday.

- Sam

Quote Originally Posted by SurfRider View Post
    Of all things this was what jumped out at me. Not that it's observer bias.

Thanks for the report. And this will sound hard to believe, but I am both genuinely sorry you guys didn't have the day pan out as expected, and genuinely feel better that it's at least conceivable that while pacing the floors today entertaining a 5.5 month old, I wasn't missing quite as much as it *felt* like I was missing.

I am guessing that since next weekend will be my next day off, there will be a big cold front like say... Friday.
    Nah Tex, never thought you would've noticed that part about the Texas rig!

Your investment of time on Thursday stands to pay much greater dividends than that of Doc and myself!

Long range looks good for Friday - Sunny & 53!
    BroncoTwisterJim
    Red X Angler

Wife has to work, but grandmother (so far) wants to keep the little guy from about 1230 to 5 or so Friday, so I may get to go. We'll see

- Sam

17. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements