NC Angler Forums banner

Fly lines

6K views 62 replies 14 participants last post by  RouseD 
#1 ·
Just wanted to hear some discussion on WF floating fly lies. I have been using Scientific Angler brand, and the line costs about $25. Forgot the name. One of my friends uses Cortland 333, which is about the same price I think. Wondering if anyone likes the slightly higher priced lines better than either of these. If so, what floating fly lines do you like best? If you use a higher priced line, which of those l;ines do you like best, and is it worth it just to get out 10 more feet?

#53 ·
If you want the best fluorocarbon leader, buy the FC Sniper made by Sunline. Not easy to find, may need to order it online, but it is the best out there. Great knot holding strength, stealthy (of course), and very strong line. The guys up in Alaska turned me on to this stuff a few years back fishing for pressured fish on the Upper Kenai River. Made a believer out of me, prior to that I was in the 'flouro don't matter' camp. Live and learn. If fishing to wary or pressured fish, give it a try. On sink tip lines, I use 3-4' of this in 8-10 lb. Good for tippet in all applications. Seems pricey till you think about the fact you are buying 200 yard spools.

Reactions: RouseD
#55 ·
+1 for the GPX the best I have EVER used. I have had "nicer" lines (as noted above) but they do not work as well as the GPX. I use sharkskin, GPX and a streamer express on my 3 flinging sticks. I'll keep the SS and I like it better than most folks but I still like the GPX better. The streamer express is a machine.

FWIW - I know this is a snobbish opinion but I have never used a good floating line (for the kind of fishing I do) that cost under $60. Second thing, good lines enhance your casting. How far you can cast a line is the single worst factor of how good a line performs and WAY over rated in general IMO. Second - CLEAN YOUR LINE. No one ever does. Use a line cleaning kit $10ish dont use dawn and car wax. Amazing how much it helps and how cheap it is.

Also, stretch out the first 20 or so feet of "floating line" everytime when you start. Most folks never really do this. You will be amazed how much it helps especially if it is cold or if you don't get to fish as often as you would like. Do the same with your leader (use a line stripper, tshirt or your hand). It makes a big difference.

Hey RouseD, shoot me another PM and I'll send you some hand tied leaders

#56 · (Edited)
Second - CLEAN YOUR LINE. No one ever does. Use a line cleaning kit $10ish dont use dawn and car wax. Amazing how much it helps and how cheap it is.
So as a newbie, your suggestion might answer my question. I have an inherited 7wt Browing complete fly rod. I have no idea what the line is, it's not supple, but it seems to shoot through the guides. Will the line dressing or cleaning help, or do fly lines age and need to be replaced? I too have one of the walmart combos, just so I could try out the idea without worry of breaking my rod. If you want to get folks into fly fishing for cheap, that's a fun combo for some baby sunnies! If I replace line, it sounds like the 333 is the way to go? (I hope to use the fly rod a lot more this year). Thanks!!

#57 ·
Fly lines do wear out and how long depends on how much you abuse them + how often you clean them + what kind of fishing you do. A line floating perfectly for sunfish is not quite as important as for say trout. So if you got the kit and it is new it probably has a functional fly line on it. If it is shooting through the guides well then it is most likely in good working order but cleaning it could help it float better. It never hurts to clean it so just give it a go anyways. If it were me, and I was just using it for sunfish type critters, I would leave it on there and use it through the spring. If you use it a lot and like it or the tackle monkey has a hole burning in your pocket then I would upgrade the line. A 333 line is not a bad line at all - I am a big believer in Scientific Angler Lines. It is all personal preference. Check online and you can find a lot of mid-range lines on sale for a good bit less than normal. I am sure a lot of the folks on here can give you some advice on specific brands in that range :)

As far as it breaking your rod, as long as you replace a 7 weight rod/line with another 7 weight then you will be fine. No need to worry. A number of folks put a larger line on their rod to improve casting and performance. While this does work, I compare it to putting a $2k Leupold Scope on an inaccurate rifle. You better off taking some casting classes to improve you over the performance of your line combo. There are some instances where this is not true but those are specific to small stream casting, sinking lines, big heavy weight fly rods, chucking REALLY big flies and a few unique other situations. 95% of people don’t really need to but they do and that’s ok! That is part of the fun of fishing with the long rod!

As far as walmart combo's go, they used to sell a full outfit eagle claw for like $60. Wiht a good line on it, it was one of the best casting rods I have ever put into my hands. Lastly, sunfish or bluegill on the fly = FUN afternoon no matter how old or experienced you are! :D

#59 ·
lostwilderness, PM sent

Thanks to lostwilderness, danattherock, and Chiefly Fly'n, and others for all the help. Hope this discussion continues.

I got my Rio Gold on my 4 wt rod. Tried it out yesterday, but yesterday wasn't a good one to try it. Wind was probably blowing steadily at 15 to 20 mph. Still, I could cast that line easily 30 to 40 feet, fairly accurately. With a 4 wt in those conditions, and with my casting abilities, it outdid my expectations. Can't wait until a less windy day to try it again. Hope to have my 7 wt rod ready soon, with the Rio Gold.

#60 ·
inherited 7wt Browing
walmart combos
I've seen some older fly lines that have been stored in drawers and age doesn't seem to have affected then at all. Stretch out the coils, clean, and they work pretty well. Others seem to have deteriorated over time and have gotten stiff and brittle and really need to be replaced. Some are old technology and you'll benefit from a new, modern line. It's hard to go wrong with a premium line...but some of the less expensive new lines do quite well. Sometimes with older rods, that tend to have a lot of flex compared to today's newer models and actions, folks will actually drop down a line wt.

The combos on the market, like those from Wal-mart, sometimes leave a lot to be desired with inferior quality lines and reels, and reels that are too light to efficiently balance the rod. And, in some cases, we've had to change line weights by 2 or 3 wts heavier to get a rod to perform properly. In those cases, what seemed to be an economical outfit, wound up costing much more by the time a servicable line and reel were purchased. Combos from Sci. Anglers, Redington, Temple Fork, in contrast, are decent outfits with line and reels that are matched or balanced, and can perform quite well.

The line wt designation on a rod is frequently only a guide and today's rods can easily and safely be uplined 1 or 2 (or more line weights) to get them to perform better or better for the conditions/distances that you are using them for (e.g. short distances on small streams...or loading the rod with less than 30 feet of line for a quick cast/speed cast in a saltwater situation.) Designations of line weights on some of the really inexpensive rods may not even be close...

#62 ·
Check out this link by Rio: http://www.rioproducts.com/fishing-tips/cleaning-fly-lines/

Most folks use something like this: (mine usually last 10 year or so - or until I forget to put the cap on good/step on it/lose it etc...)
http://www.basspro.com/Scientific-Anglers-Fly-Fishing-Line-Dressing-Cleaning-Kit/product/43179/
http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=68r9

I like this as a cleaner "box" it makes it easier for significant others and non-fishing friends to help:
http://www.intheriffle.com/store/Glide-Fly-Line-Cleaning-Box.html

BUY LOCAL IF YOU CAN! Support your local shops!

I take a rag and as I am stripping my line off of my reel, run it through my hand and the rag to get the worst of it off. Dap some cleaner/waxer on the foam in the box, close the box and strip it back through. On a 100’ line I might add cleaner/waxer 2-3 times depending on how much I am paying attention.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.