Shimano Calcutta B

Product: Shimano Calcutta B

Default Shimano Calcutta B

Product Manufacturer: Shimano
    • Cold Forged Aluminum Frame, Sideplates and Spool
    • A-RB (Anti-Rust Bearings)
    • Variable Brake System (VBS)
    • Super Stopper
    • Assist Stopper (excluding 50B, 100B & 101B)
    • Dartainium Drag
    • 3-Bolt Quick Take Down (2 Bolt on 50B)
    • Septon Handle Grips
    • Easy Access Sideplate (100 and 200 sizes only)
    • Lo-Mass Drilled Spool System (200GTB only)
    • Drilled Crossbar (200GTB only)
    • Clicker (400 & 700 only)
    • 3-Position Power Grip (400BSV, 700B & 700BSV only)
    • SV Power Paddles (400B only)
    • Non-Levelwind Version (BSV models only)
    • Manual Return Clutch Lever (700 models only)
    • Non-Disengaging Levelwind System (400 & 700 only)
    • Metal Series
    • Approved for use in Saltwater
    • Rated for use with mono, Fluorocarbon and PowerPro lines
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	calcutta.jpg‎
Views:	2868
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	51449

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Price Paid: $200
    Recommended: Yes
    Cons: - tight tolerances can make maintenance more involved
    Pros: - very tough/durable - smooth casting - lightweight for a round casting reel
    I have the 100b and 200b as my main reels for inshore kayak fishing on the NC coast. These reels excel at casting 1/4oz to 3/4oz lures and can take a beating to the pressures of coastal kayak fishing. I was getting frustrated with spinning reels and the amount of maintenance required after every trip to get the bearings and internals cleaned so put the effort into baitcasting reels not to mention more accurate casting along creek grass lines. While there was a learning curve involved I am really glad I made the jump and invested in these reels. The only downside is that on extremely windy days (15mph+) a spinner can outperform so I do keep a backup spinner in case I get into those situations.

I fish a lot of coastal creeks so placing my lures right at the edge of the grass line is much easier with the Calcuttas. They are also much more durable then the spinning reels I have used in past, lighter and hold more line for their overall weight. I dropped anywhere from 2-5 ounces lighter then the spinning reels I was previously using which makes a big difference after 12 hours in the kayak. The Calcuttas also have a very quick and easy way to adjust the break blocks as the wind conditions change during a fishing trip.

One other note and I will throw this out there since I see a lot of comparisons between the Calcuttas and Abus. I have a couple Abu 5500's that I also use. The Abus cast farther for heavier weights and are easier to clean but the Calcuttas are hands down smoother and excel at the lighter weights.

Default Shimano Calcutta B line

Price Paid: $200
    Cons: Not a single thing so far as I can tell
    Pros: Everything Shughes said
    I second everything written above and exclusively use Calcuttas for my baitcasting. They're IMO the best that money can buy in a round reel, perfect compliment to a custom rod.

Two that shannon didn't mention are the 50B and the 200GTB. Sadly the 50b has been discontinued but if you can find one, snap it up! It was the smallest of the bunch but utterly perfect for shad-raps and weightless plastics, will send both a country mile once you set it up right. The 200GTB is about as big as you need for bass, great for jigging and heavy crankbaits. It has extra bearings and casts like there's butter in your guides!

Great review on a great line of reels!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Price Paid: $230 @basspro
    sold my 200's for some 200GTB's. Really nice inshore reels for the kayak. I was originally concerned about the wiffle spool allowing saltwater to get to bearings but that does not seem to be an issue. From looking at schematics and also casting the reel I believe the extra bearings are in the actual handle which gives the reel a more smooth retreive. If you have 200B's you could probably get the 200GTB handle and it would work. The wiffle spool does add some distance to the cast. I did not do any measurements before selling my 200's but its noticeable and comes closer to the distance obtained from a Shimano 200 size low profile reel. Running the 200GTB's on my 7 foot rods and 100B's on the 6'6" rods. These guys match up well to St Croix Tidemasters...a really good marriage.
    Jackson, and sundrop like this.

7. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements