What does Line Capacity: 12/120 mean for a baitcast reel?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What does Line Capacity: 12/120 mean for a baitcast reel?

Default What does Line Capacity: 12/120 mean for a baitcast reel?

Looking at replacing some OLD baitcast reels I have and while shopping I've noticed some with this detail:

Line Capacity: 12/120

Does that mean the max for this reel is 12lb and can hold 120 yards? Here's the particular reel I saw this on from BP:

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shop...1092105011121/

Finally, any recommendations for a good reel for a budget minded angler?

Thanks,
    Kevin

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

12/120 means at 12 pound test you can get 120 yards of line on the reel
    dbeam, and wademaster like this.

red x angler and tarheelflyflinger for life -red drum its not an obssesion but a passion

Generally you would want to stay within a couple pounds of the 12lb recommendation. For a reel that says 12/120 I would use either 10,12, or 14lb test line to get the best performance out of that reel. Same for the rods line recommendation.
    dbeam likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Keep in mind that's a mono. recommendation. You can put a lot more 15 pound braid on that reel if you wish. Just put a few yards of mono backing to help prevent slippage from the braid.

A note on the BPS reels, of which I own a few. They are good performing reels with good drag systems, however you will likely only get a couple of years out of them with regular use. Because they change models so often, parts will not be stocked for your reel at the local BPS a year or so after you get it. You have to have them shipped from Missouri. I've also been disappointed with the BPS rods from a longevity/build quality perspective. You don't have to spend a lot more to get better equipment IMO. An All Star/Shimano combination is an example.

H2ohhh, Dr. H, Judge H...what the H? Nucanoe Frontier 12.

and generally when you see say 12/120 mono and then a braid recomendation of say 20/160 for example. More times than not you WILL NOT get the amount of braid on there that is says will fit.. Just take that into account beforehand
    dbeam likes this.

BORN 2 FISH...forced to work!!

Blog Entries

This may be just me, but I never fill my spool completely up...I actually find that it works smoother with less tangles or headache when I fill it 3/4 of the way or less....

I'm referring to a spinning reel instead of a baitcaster here....
    2840-FISH, dbeam, and roostertail24 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by wademaster View Post
    This may be just me, but I never fill my spool completely up...I actually find that it works smoother with less tangles or headache when I fill it 3/4 of the way or less....

i fill a spinning reel aprox 1/8 in from the lip of the spool.........

Mowhawk pack , coleman scanoe, OT 158, 2 OT 119's,
    1232 Jon Boat, Wilderness Systems ATAK 140, Ascend 12T

Quote Originally Posted by Mack in N.C. View Post
    i fill a spinning reel aprox 1/8 in from the lip of the spool.........
    Ditto. If you fill it less than that you're going to lose some casting distance.
    catfish_hunter, and dbeam like this.

Blog Entries

I haven't noticed a difference in casting difference but I'll keep that in mind when I respool the next time...
    dbeam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by h2ohhh View Post
    Ditto. If you fill it less than that you're going to lose some casting distance.
    I've never encountered a situation in the type of fishing I do that requires casts of longer than 30-40 ft. 15-20 ft casts are the norm.

Blog Entries

Default What does Line Capacity: 12/120 mean for a baitcast reel?

Quote Originally Posted by Dylar View Post
    I've never encountered a situation in the type of fishing I do that requires casts of longer than 30-40 ft. 15-20 ft casts are the norm.
    This could be the reason I haven't noticed any casting distance loss....

Sent from my kayak....
    dbeam likes this.

A couple comments...

1.) The 12/120 is a generalization becuase not all 12 lb monofilament is the same diameter and 12 lb flurocarbon won't be the same diameter as mono. A lot of companies now put something like 0.015/120 which means that you get 120 yards of 0.015 diameter line. In the grand scheme there won't be much difference probably a few yards +/- unless you are using 12 lb test braid which would have like a 6 lb diameter so expect to use about twice as much.

2.) I personally, have had good experiences with both the BPS reels and rods. Admittedly, they are not top of the line but you are not paying top of the line prices. I think that their reels stack up very favorably against any brand name reel in the same price point. I love the Pro Qualifier reels and I got some of the Johnny Morris reels on sale which also appear to be excellent. As for rods, the bionic blade and extreme rods have worked very well for me. I'm sure you could get many different opinions on the BPS gear but most of what I have seen/heard is positive.

3.) When filling the spool on a baitcaster you should fill it till there is just a sliver of spool showing anything less hurts casting distance. On spinning gear you should be about 1/8" below the lip. This also hurts casting distance some but the advantages of not having the line spill off the spool (and the resulting mess) outweigh the loss in casting distance.

4.) Unless you are fishing for large fish like cats/stripers or saltwater fishing, don't stip off all the line on your reel when you change. You don't make many casts over 30 yards and even big bass don't run 100 yards, so 70 or 80 yards of line is plenty. On a 12/120 size reel strip it down to about 1/3 left on the spool, tie a double Uni knot (just in case you hook something giant that knot is almost as strong as the line) and fill back up. If you are super cheap and have an empty spool you can wind the line off on the spool and just reverse it. The line on the bottom is like new.

Sorry that was so long....I never said they would be quick comments!
    Abert43, dbeam, h2ohhh, and wademaster like this.

Tight lines,
    Andrew

I agree regarding casting distance if you're trout fishing, bass fishing etc. Most of my casts are short in those situations. But if I'm redfishing and trying to drop a light offering to these spooky fish from a long ways off it makes a big difference. At least to me.

I wasn't trying to bash BPS products as I do own and use some. But I've had issues with the handles on 2 bionic blades and the plastic screw that sits opposite of the reel handle breaking in two on a Pro Qualifier reel. That reel is $70 nowadays and for another $20 you've got a Shimano Sahara. For $10 less you can get a Sedona. Personal preference for sure but I've still got Shimano's that have been flawless for 20 years.

That said, BPS has an Ultralight (they call it a Microlite but it's really not that) that sells for $50 every day that is awesome. Don't know who makes this rod but it's got some backbone. It'd be just the kind of thing Dylar would want when he's fighting those big trout he's been known to catch. Anyway, it's a beautiful rod. And I like the BPS spinnerbaits for bass fishing. I've taken some pigs on those including that monster spot in the avatar.

And I'm definately cheap enough to reverse the braid on my reels after about 2 years!
    Abert43, dbeam, and wademaster like this.

Quote Originally Posted by wademaster View Post

yeah i never fill a spinning rod to the top. but for my Abu Black max bait caster, i learned that the more line i have on there the easier it is to cast.

Quote Originally Posted by h2ohhh View Post
    I agree regarding casting distance if you're trout fishing, bass fishing etc. Most of my casts are short in those situations. But if I'm redfishing and trying to drop a light offering to these spooky fish from a long ways off it makes a big difference. At least to me.
    I'll be honest, most of my redfishing has been done stalking fish on foot and sight casting to them on grass or mud flats. I can usually work to within 15-25 feet—depending on water clarity—without spooking the fish. They don't seem nearly as spooky as trout or smallies in similarly shallow, still water, at least not in my experience. I make a habit of trying to get pretty close with spinning gear, as this often allows me to pitch the lure rather than casting it overhand, allowing for a more delicate presentation. I would assume that fishing from a boat would require longer casts, though, considerably longer, in fact.

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast