Are there too many gar?? - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Are there too many gar??

Maybe so.. So are you saying if the limit of Red Drum was 5 fish instead of 1 they would just grow and reproduce faster? We are a predator right?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

just saying killing a fish isnt needed since MOTHER NATURE does that for us but too many panfish definetly stun the growth of panfish same way with bass sen it in way too many ponds and lakes this has nothing to do with drum they are where they should be for now
    dbeam likes this.

red x angler and tarheelflyflinger for life -red drum its not an obssesion but a passion

Quote Originally Posted by roostertail24 View Post
    Maybe so.. So are you saying if the limit of Red Drum was 5 fish instead of 1 they would just grow and reproduce faster? We are a predator right?
    I don't think we can conceivably be considering the effects of gar eating enough fish to survive (typically small bream and shiners) being anywhere NEAR comprable to thousands of fisherman any given week being able to consume 500% as much of a resource as before, especially a resource which has already been critically damaged once. Until you can walk across the neuse on the backs of gar I don't think that argument can be plausible in any way
    dbeam, NCPIERMAN, RouseD, and Willbum92 like this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I happily target gar, and keep some for dinner

I love gar fishing, And I saw a huge increase in their numbers recently, especially in mill creek. Farmers drained the creek almost dry during the drought a few years back and they survived when most fish did not. Now the creek seems to be recovering with increasing bass and panfish populations. Give it a few more years and it will sort itself back out. until then, just enjoy the gar for what they are, a beautiful creature and a fun catch. I hate it when people kill gar and bowfin for no reason, i feel like they need to show respect for the animals God put on this earth. I love deer hunting but to me it feels like going out and shooting deer and leaving them laying on the ground to rot.

Quote Originally Posted by Swampin' View Post
    I love gar fishing, And I saw a huge increase in their numbers recently, especially in mill creek. Farmers drained the creek almost dry during the drought a few years back and they survived when most fish did not. Now the creek seems to be recovering with increasing bass and panfish populations. Give it a few more years and it will sort itself back out. until then, just enjoy the gar for what they are, a beautiful creature and a fun catch. I hate it when people kill gar and bowfin for no reason, i feel like they need to show respect for the animals God put on this earth. I love deer hunting but to me it feels like going out and shooting deer and leaving them laying on the ground to rot.
    x2.............
    dbeam, NCPIERMAN, and RouseD like this.

PB Common: 34.15 lbs, PB Mirror: 35.5 lbs, PB Grasser: 27.10 lbs, PB Smallmouth Buffalo: 48.8 lbs

simply my response to this is, I only kill what I eat or give to someone else to eat. I would love to catch gar for the fight foremost, but would try it for table fair (if the water quality allows) and then decide how often I would release them. Killing anything outside of defense or sustenance is just wrong.

I remember going to Yellowstone and seeing that lake trout were to be killed upon catch as they are invasive. I would adhere to this regulation by eating them and do so happily knowing that more knowledgeable people in this field and area have made this decision.

So until someone of much greater knowledge on the issue posts a mandatory kill order on gar, they will get released.
    dbeam, and NCPIERMAN like this.

"You no longer see water, You only see where fish live...." J. Berman
    Red X Angler

Quote Originally Posted by Swampin' View Post
    couldn't have said it better man. where about on mill creek you live. im just down the road from the lower section of mill creek.
    dbeam likes this.

Almost no one fishes for them and when they are caught they are tenderly released. Wouldn't a little thinning of the herd help the baby bass and bream population? Lots of posts on here about how bassin the Neuse River Basin isn't too hot. People blame it on the hurricane but how come we have SOO many gar?? You see posts about people catching and keeping 40+ bream a day but what about the gar that are reproducing like rabbits?? Enough rant. What are your thoughts?
    Gar are the apex predators in their environments. As such, their numbers are entirely dependent on the prey populations. If there are an a**load of gar in a body of water, it probably means that there are an a**load of whatever they prey on in there, too. Sounds more like the problem is excessively large numbers of smaller bass and bream, stunting those populations and allowing gar to proliferate. If that's the case, the key would be to cull as many bass and bream as you can; culling the predators would just make the situation worse.

I have heard from some people that gar are very good to eat, but never tried it myself. For those who have cooked them, how is the taste, and how many ways have you prepared them?
    dbeam likes this.

RED X ANGLER

I've never fished specifically for Gar but they are plentiful in water I fish frequently. They are fun to catch and you won't hear me complain when one hits. I release them on those rare instances when I actually land one.
    dbeam, NCPIERMAN, and RouseD like this.

So many rivers... so little time. Long may you run.

Its amazing how many gar lovers are on here but go to your local boat ramp and take a poll on how many people like to catch gar.. I think it would be a bit different response than this thread indicates....
    NCPIERMAN, and RouseD like this.

Its amazing how many gar lovers are on here but go to your local boat ramp and take a poll on how many people like to catch gar.. I think it would be a bit different response than this thread indicates....
    Most likely, and most of those people probably wouldn't have very good supporting arguments for their case
    Brenardo, RouseD, and Swampin' like this.

Maybe its not that we are "gar lovers", maybe someone is just a "gar hater"?

O I would like to catch one myself just to see what its like. But if they have been here for "millions" of years why do they have a trash fish reputation? Why don't we have the Gar Masters Classic lol? I'm just saying people in general should have it figured out whats good and whats not since columbus came to america in the 1500s or whenever it was and we have been here ever since... Ok i'm done. I want to be a able to fish with any of you guys when the opportunity rises without getting punched lol! Hey!... Even if it is for gar!
    Catawba, NCPIERMAN, and RouseD like this.

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast