Hour and a half fight for a 17.5" speck... lol

Thread: Hour and a half fight for a 17.5" speck... lol

Default Hour and a half fight for a 17.5" speck... lol

Spent the weekend fishing down at Ocean Isle, pulled a few mullet out of the surf in the AM Saturday before we were run off by rain. Went to the public access inshore pier at the north end of the island in the afternoon and threw a few rods out. I stuck to crabbing, trying to catch a few for dinner. When my buddy pulled up a little pinfish, I told him to hang onto it and threw a carolina rig I made up myself on his rod and used the pinfish as bait. Barely 10 minutes went by before something hit it. He set the hook and started to reel in when it all just came to a stop lol, every bit of line he reeled in was taken right back out by drag. That went on for a little over an hour (no joke), and the only thing I could figure was it was a big skate who was just hunkered down on the bottom. Finally it broke free and he pulled up a pretty speck, the only thing I can figure is the durn thing got wrapped around some structure on the bottom. Anyways he got his first speck and he got a pretty crazy story out of it too!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	1044273_10151783500453530_1776386657_n.jpg‎
Views:	285
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	53442

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

seaweed wrapped on the line?

Years ago, I was fishing with a buddy of mine on the Coast Guard docks in AB. He hooked into something that double him over and kept pulling. He "fought" it up and down the pier for over and hour adn had quite a crowd when he finally beached his fish..

it was a 10' long piece of fire hose complete with brass fittings, with a tiny hog fish on the end LOL.... We cleaned it up, and bleached it out.. then presented it to him when he left the unit.
    mljohnson170, and RouseD like this.

Blog Entries

Default Hour and a half fight for a 17.5" speck... lol

I had a similar experience happen to me a couple if years ago Rye. I was anchored up in the hook at CALO Cobia fishing. I had a spread out soaking bait and was blind casting a bucktail. Something slammed my bucktail hard and started peeling drag. I immediately had 10-15 boats checking me out to see what I had. After an epic battle I pulled in a 10 foot cast net.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements