Big Bad Ms. Leroy Brown

Thread: Big Bad Ms. Leroy Brown

Default Big Bad Ms. Leroy Brown

Well I gone and done it again. The girdle bug should be banned. Those big browns are all over that fly like a hobo on a sandwich. I caught her out of the same tiny creek that I caught the big male out of a couple weeks ago. I saw one even bigger come and check out the fly before ducking back under his rock. I'll be back...

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Blog Entries

Red X Angler
    Captains Club

Great fish

Darrell
    Red X Angler

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I think that fly might be working so well right now because of the caterpillars. The ones I've seen are very spiny looking with big tufts. Doesn't look exactly like a girdle bug but I can see where a fish would confuse the two. Especially in a yellow, black or white color.

I'm going to learn to tie the Girdle Bug. Should do well in eastern NC for bream as well, and next time I go back to do some stream fishing, I'll use it there unless the season I go in dictates another fly.
    RED X ANGLER

Thanks a lot CSA_VA. Now I can't get that song out of my head. Kept me up half the night remembering all the words.

The girdle bug works great year round. It's supposed to be a "stonefly" imitation. It definitely does well in creeks with a good population of stones... Now fish might take it as a sunken terrestrial of some kind as well. It's an all around buggy looking fly. I've had the best luck with a black body and black legs, or a dark brown body and black legs. All with a beadhead. I tie them in size 8-14, all on streamer hooks. I do best with the wapsi "wooly bugger chennile" in small size. That stuff has some flash built into it that seems to make the fly more effective.
    dbeam, Kev2380, and RouseD like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev2380 View Post
    I think that fly might be working so well right now because of the caterpillars. The ones I've seen are very spiny looking with big tufts. Doesn't look exactly like a girdle bug but I can see where a fish would confuse the two. Especially in a yellow, black or white color.
    Like a lot of the best, time-proven fly patterns (for instance, the Parachute Adams or the wooly bugger), girdle bugs are more impressionistic than imitative. It could be stonefly nymph. It could be a caterpillar that lost his grip. Strip retrieve it and maybe it's a little crawfish. It doesn't really matter; a trout is way too stupid to know or care.
    RouseD, and wademaster like this.

Gotta agree with this... This fly is buggy and generalistic. I can see why the fish are all over it in most streams I fish. It's right up there with the wooly bugger and adams for me. Some call it "pat's rubber legged stone", but I just call it a fish catcher!

By the way, if any of you guys want to start tying these like I do, drop me a PM. I don't tie mine like the traditional pattern. I can send you all a fly pattern to copy free of charge.
    I don't use the standard rubber legs, but instead use flex floss or sexi floss. It is flat and ties in neater. more importantly it is durable and doesn't become brittle or break away like other leg materials.

Quote Originally Posted by Dylar View Post
    Like a lot of the best, time-proven fly patterns (for instance, the Parachute Adams or the wooly bugger), girdle bugs are more impressionistic than imitative. They It [i]could[/b] be stonefly nymph. It could be a caterpillar that lost his grip. Strip retrieve it and maybe it's a little crawfish. It doesn't really matter; a trout is way too stupid to know or care.
    RouseD likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CSA_VA View Post
    The girdle bug works great year round. It's supposed to be a "stonefly" imitation. It definitely does well in creeks with a good population of stones... Now fish might take it as a sunken terrestrial of some kind as well. It's an all around buggy looking fly. I've had the best luck with a black body and black legs, or a dark brown body and black legs. All with a beadhead. I tie them in size 8-14, all on streamer hooks. I do best with the wapsi "wooly bugger chennile" in small size. That stuff has some flash built into it that seems to make the fly more effective.
    If you wouldn't mind posting a pic of the fly. I'd love to see it.
    dbeam, and RouseD like this.

awesome job on the brownie congrats

dbeam likes this.

red x angler and tarheelflyflinger for life -red drum its not an obssesion but a passion

Quote Originally Posted by CSA_VA View Post
    Some call it "pat's rubber legged stone", but I just call it a fish catcher!
    This fly does not catch fish. Don't waste your time using it.

I've never seen one tied without flexi floss
    CSA_VA, dbeam, and RouseD like this.

The original fly was tied with white round rubber. My first batch was close to the original with either the white round rubber or the black rubber legs. I wasn't pleased with the way the stuff broke down over time.

Flex Floss is where it's at.

And yeah guys pm me. I got a couple dozen in the box, and can mail out some samples to folks when I get back from charlotte. I don't tie mine like anyone else does, but between all the big browns I've landed(and a 25 inch brown a friend of mine landed 2 weeks ago) I'd say i'm on to something. I tied mine the wrong way by "accident" and it really seemed to work out for the best. Those browns can't get enough of it!
    RouseD likes this.

I'll also post up a fly pic and recipe when I get back from Charlotte next week. Stay tuned...
    NCPIERMAN, and RouseD like this.

17. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements