100-yard gill net setback from most ocean beaches takes effect Sept. 15 - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 100-yard gill net setback from most ocean beaches takes effect Sept. 15

And really. 100 yards is a very small distance for a migratory mammal who swims up to 35 mph, in pods.

Another faux "slap on the hand" to convince the public that they actually care about conservation..
    Brenardo, c.lane, and NCPIERMAN like this.

"Dem Neuse River Boys"
    Ocean Kayak/Johnson Outdoors Pro Staff, Team FINS fishing

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

And strike netting trout should be illegal. I can see it done for mullet but when they go in a creek to lay waste it takes two weeks or more for the trout numbers to come back up and guess what happens then. Did you guess. I'm sure you see where I'm going with this. I ran nets for years with my dad around harkers island and I have seen what they are capable of. Never stike netted just flounder nets but watched it done. The waste from it is crazy when you hit the non target. So if you think for one second that all guys trying to scratch out a living are good salt of the earth people watch a striker or small mesh gill netter knock small trout or drum or a comerant for that matter over the bow of the boat and kill it to keep going at a break neck pace. So no it is not about economics to some of us, it is about the fish. And whitey said it, never seen anyone walk out of a resturaunt because striper was t on the menue.

Dem Neuse River Boys.. . Epicness Always

Lawmakers actually approved the resources and money to study and manage dolphins in the shorebreak...but they killed the legislative bill that would have been beneficial to us as recreational anglers. Gotta love NC
    c.lane, and NCPIERMAN like this.

"Dem Neuse River Boys"
    Ocean Kayak/Johnson Outdoors Pro Staff, Team FINS fishing

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Money talks blank walks. That's what killed gamefish and the trawl petition even though I wasn't all for getting rid of all trawling inside. Just the big boats that pull four hundred foot headropes four or five boats wide threw the sound. I think the little boats working shrimp nets are not that big of a prob.
    Dem Neuse River Boys.. . Epicness Always

Default Re: 100-yard gill net setback from most ocean beaches takes effect Sept. 15

I also agree that the small net trawls are not the issue. The can target a more central area and do not make drastic impacts on the ecosystem.

Sent from my XT926 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Drum Runner View Post
    The point is, not to KILL existing jobs. As I've said before. The coastal regions of the state are some of the least wealthy when it comes to good paying jobs. That is a major reason the recreational anglers will never get what they want when it comes to coastal waters. If it were Research Triangle with 20-40 dollar an hour blue collar jobs....it might be different. All that big money you see along the coast didn't come from the coast. The vast majority of that money was made and brought in from somewhere else. Take all that away and you'll see the real picture.
    I'm sorry, but that argument is sort of counter productive to your point. The money brought in from somewhere else is what's really fueling the economy on the coast. Taking it away would kill many more jobs than a collapse of the commercial fishing industry. Granted it is more about beachgoers than recreational fishermen, but the rec fishermen bring in a large portion of it.

The only thing needed for recreational anglers to "get what they want" (which IMO is sane management of a dwindling resource) is to organize well enough to adequately "influence" a few coastal legislators. We shouldn't fool ourselves into believing that legislation is passed to save blue collar jobs or to save a resource. It's about supporting the interests who best support the legislators. That's why we pay for studies and ignore them, that's why we ignore the success of neighboring states. We can count on our elected officials to do the right thing, for themselves, if that turns out beneficial for the majority of the state it's simply bycatch.

Red X Angler
    "And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise." Luke 6:31

Default Re: 100-yard gill net setback from most ocean beaches takes effect Sept. 15

One of the major problems is NC fisheries are not highly promoted on a national scale. There is no doubt that the old drum is a widely known event, but we are not known as the destination for rich people (athletes, senators, and *most* other well to do people) to come catch trout or reds. If we could somehow change the national, or even just the greater east coasts views on our fishery then things could quite possibly change for the gamefish(that aren't gamefish) of NC.

Who knows the actual economic impact of being a premier sportfishing state, ask Florida or Louisiana or Texas...

I have talked people from around the southern east coast about fishing and catching and in their opinion it "isnt worth it to travel to NC to fish".

Quote Originally Posted by Brenardo View Post
    I have talked people from around the southern east coast about fishing and catching and in their opinion it "isnt worth it to travel to NC to fish".

There aint enough in any of those places you mentioned to draw me there for fishing either and there is an upside to that as well.
    You want to cripple a commercial fisherman. Not to mention a rich and valued heritage of this state, but you would welcome a bunch of jet setters to pressure the same "fragile" fishery.
    Doesn't make sense to me.

Drum Runner, you know full well that is not what he is saying. The point you make is that the coast is poor and the commercial guys are barely making it, so why not welcome an influx of money and the commercial guys can benefit from it by taking advantage of it. They will have to adapt to new industries, but the pressure on the resource will be different and beneficial. I fish many states on the east coast and NC has some specific fisheries that are exceptional at specific times, but in general the neighboring states have much better overall fisheries that are more consistent and have documented proof that eliminating or minimizing netting had a dramatic effect.

If you are bent on preserving the heritage, I suppose you ride a horse to work and row your boat, after all those new fangled machines are just for those rich city folk.
    Brenardo, catfish_hunter, and whitey like this.

2015 Pathfinder 2200 TE, Yamaha VF200 SHO; 2015 Beavertail Vengeance, Suzuki DF90;
    Jackson Coosa FD; Native Ultimate 14.5; CCA Member

Turn a commercial fisherman into a guide?
    Let's take you and turn you into something else that just maybe you don't want to be just so some outsider will come play in your backyard and tell you what is what and that you are or will be better off. All because somebody wants to fish for fun.

I don't think so.
    I wasn't raised that way. I was raised in a family of NC farmers. Go to a farmer with that same line of reasoning...better bring a buddy to carry you off. Why is that?
    Because you are MESSING with someone's livelyhood not somebody's playpen.
    A lot of people can't see past the point of their own nose. You got 30k tied up in that pretty little fishing rig. The commericial fisherman has his whole life tied up in that net boat or trawler. Just like a farmer. People ride by a farm and they have no clue what goes on beyond what you can see from the road. Not a clue. They just know groceries are in the grocery store. Same with seafood.
    They'll talk crap about commercial fishermen while eating a flounder plate just like people will talk crap about a hog farmer while eating a sausage biscuit. CLUELESS
    ecufisherman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NCTribute View Post
    If you are bent on preserving the heritage, I suppose you ride a horse to work and row your boat, after all those new fangled machines are just for those rich city folk.

I am far from a "rich city folk" and I do appreciate tradition and heritage. BUT I also recognize waste at a massive scale.

I don't want to group all commercial fishing into one because not all are wasteful. I have no problem with gigging, as it has been said before it is the most selective form of fishing period.

catfish_hunter likes this.

Many of the guys that commercially fish these waters have no other form of education, nor do they have the means to just open themselves their own business if they couldn't fish.

Drum Runner, I grew up in Iowa and have worked on a farm, so not sure how you know my background so well. Who said anything about being a guide??? Guess you know my thoughts now too. Those who stick their heads in the sand and refuse to change are the ones who are unfortunately clueless.

Also, not sure why you have to be insulting to someone who has done well for themselves. I do not not make smart remarks about someone who is less fortunate. Perhaps you need to take a good look in the mirror, might be surprised what you see.
    Brenardo, mrpossumtail, and whitey like this.

2015 Pathfinder 2200 TE, Yamaha VF200 SHO; 2015 Beavertail Vengeance, Suzuki DF90;
    Jackson Coosa FD; Native Ultimate 14.5; CCA Member

Let's stay track. Farming and commercial fishing are NOT the same thing.

I work for a farm, I see what goes on even behind closed doors.

My family was some of the last hold outs raising hogs on the ground.

Things change, times change and people have to change with them.

papadave likes this.

To offset the loss of income, the bill would set aside $1 million to pay commercial fishermen.

From what I have seen, even divided up across the board, would more than pay for certification at community colleges.

papadave likes this.

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast