100-yard gill net setback from most ocean beaches takes effect Sept. 15 - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 100-yard gill net setback from most ocean beaches takes effect Sept. 15

Quote Originally Posted by whitey View Post
    Papadave for president.
    No prob, send your generous contributions and I'll make sure you boys are taken care of .............
    (How'm I doin' so far?)

Red X Angler
    "And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise." Luke 6:31

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by c.lane View Post
    Are you serious man. Dr I want to make something clear to you. I'm a fourth gen hog farmer. The last faimly farm I know of in enc that raised breeding stock independently until Murphy farms killed the family farmer. That is the same thing happe ing to comm fisherman. Big guys, most from out of state are putting the little 18 foot trawlers out. Go look. We had to change with the industry as well. We are a contract farm now. We had a back up. We netted all those years to make ends meet. I know a lot about the comm fishery and farming. We now run another busness as well and do very well with it. May dad is not a scholar or anything but knew how to roll with the punches and conform to what it would take to go on and make a living. You see, there are a lot of people out there that just don't care what they do in the name of a dollar. If it means culling out dead trout for the larger ones or number 11 drum comes in the boat alive but is bigger than number 10 dead it stays and the other is thrown out. I know most don't care where that flounder or shrimp came from but that is bra cause most aren't aware of what was destroyed or killed to obtain it. At some point the fish will deplete to a level that can't be brought back. Look at croakers spots gray trout. Most are gone in any numbers at all. It is obvious as to what happened. I don't want to kill the comm industry but it has to be substainable to some level. As long as the money and intemidation keeps coming from dare co it s gonna keep going unchecked. Nc has the best science data in the states on the fishery and the worste management. It is a problem. If you can't see it I'm not gonna try to force it on you but the day will come when it won't be worth getting in your truck to a good old trip to "the salt" to catch a fish.

I live on a 2000 sow breed to finish independent operation.

Default Re: 100-yard gill net setback from most ocean beaches takes effect Sept. 15

Independent, contracted with who?

Sent from my XT926 using Tapatalk 2
    c.lane likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Nobody. Independent. Seen it go from hog lots to hog houses over the last 40 years.
    Johnston county. Right off 701 hwy 6 miles from circle city.

Default Re: 100-yard gill net setback from most ocean beaches takes effect Sept. 15

I gotcha. I know exactly now.

You know the GIS gentlemen then.

Sent from my XT926 using Tapatalk 2

I'm not involved. I don't have the nerves for farming.
    I'm somewhat familiar with GIS. I know on a farm this size you about have to employ somebody just to keep up with the paperwork involved.
    A very costly regulatory nightmare.

I just saw a teeny tiny article buried deep in the News and Disturber yesterday about a large sewage spill in Raleigh.
    Had it been a hog lagoon of the same magnitude it would have taken the whole front page and the fines would have have put the farmer out of business and then some. Government gets away with it with the media as it's protector.

Brings back a memory from 2001 or so.
    I was doing some electrical work in the Cardinal Club (top floor of the First Union tower).
    Jim Hunt has his office I think on the 4th floor of the same building.

He came up with the lunch crowd stepped off the elevator and said, hello, how are you doing?
    I said, Probably be doing a helluva lot better without that hog moratorium you concocted. I **** sure wouldn't be up here hanging out with all the crooks that come and go in and out of here.
    He and his entourage quickly tucked tail and hit the dining room.

Classic moment of quick wit. I smiled as his smile left his face.
    c.lane likes this.

We use to do it that way sow to top but ours was breeding stock we sold on market to use as breeders. Now you can't make a living that way selling breeders. It's a shame too. Loved the farring houses as a kid. We built five topping floors in 1999 and only do that now. The old farm sits slowly going the way of the dionosaur. We raise about 5000 head with three to four clean outs a year. They will are prolly tied in to someone with a contract for the market.
    Dem Neuse River Boys.. . Epicness Always

I looked em up. They are tied in with Smithfield foods. So not so independent. They are and independent contractor so to speek a d so are we but do not own there hogs or put them up on the market by themselves and and independent marketer. It just is t done that way any more. I do agree with ya on the Raleigh crooks
    Dem Neuse River Boys.. . Epicness Always

I have no idea who you looked up but it wasn't this operation. Nary a hog has ever left here for a Smithfield plant.

13. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234