NC Angler Forums banner

100-yard gill net setback from most ocean beaches takes effect Sept. 15

7K views 54 replies 13 participants last post by  Drum Runner 
#1 ·
MOREHEAD CITY – A 100-yard gill net setback from most North Carolina ocean beaches will go into place Sept. 15 for the protection of bottlenose dolphins.

N.C. Marine Fisheries Director Louis Daniel issued a proclamation today that will prohibit setting small mesh gill nets within 100 yards of the beach, except for the areas between Cape Lookout and Bogue Inlet and between Carolina Beach Inlet and the South Carolina line.

The measure was recommended by a National Marine Fisheries Service Bottlenose Dolphin Take Reduction Team after observer and stranding data collected for several years indicated small mesh gill nets in North Carolina continue to seriously injure and kill bottlenose dolphin at levels higher than allowed by a federal plan to reduce interactions.

The take reduction team recommended trying the two exempted areas for three years to allow officials to assess potential economic impact and conservation efficacy of the 100-yard setback. But the take reduction team also recommended that the state implement the setback in both these areas if there is one bottlenose dolphin interaction.

The N.C. Marine Fisheries Commission endorsed implementing these measures at its August meeting.

The restriction applies to commercially- and recreationally-set gill nets with a mesh size of 5 inches or smaller. The restriction does not apply to strike nets used to surround a school of fish and immediately retrieve the catch.

For coordinates and other specifics of the regulation, see Proclamation M-26-2013 at http://portal.ncdenr.org/web/mf/proclamations.

For more information, contact Chris Batsavage, with the Division of Marine Fisheries, at 252-808-8009 or Chris.Batsavage@ncdenr.gov.

See less See more
#6 ·
I'm one of the idiots that has a problem with the strike nets as well... After being in a small boat near someone zooming around strike netting without any consideration for the boats near him.... Well, we'll just say my opinion of jet ski drivers went up by comparism.

Reactions: c.lane
#10 ·
As far as economic impact I honestly believe rec guys bring far more $$$ to the state and don't cause nearly the detrimental impact.

I dont think this is even remotely arguable.

My question is how inflated/warped are the numbers that you see from both sides of the plate?

Anyone with a decent amount of statistics background understands numbers can be extremely manipulated.

As in most things there are extremist on both sides so that is why you have to pick and choose what you believe.

Sent from my XT926 using Tapatalk 2

#12 ·
The point is, not to KILL existing jobs. As I've said before. The coastal regions of the state are some of the least wealthy when it comes to good paying jobs. That is a major reason the recreational anglers will never get what they want when it comes to coastal waters. If it were Research Triangle with 20-40 dollar an hour blue collar jobs....it might be different. All that big money you see along the coast didn't come from the coast. The vast majority of that money was made and brought in from somewhere else. Take all that away and you'll see the real picture.

#14 ·
This is true unless you take other states as an example. Most other states have much smarter management of gamefish. The recs. and comms. live together in peace. It's all about the gamefish...Our state fails to recognize these gamefish at all, so it's easy to be on the fence about the issue. That's why netting is even an issue with anglers. We aren't used to being so logical, the ignorance has become normal. And the money would not be lost. Even the analysts at Forbes think it's wrong.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/montebu...ion-to-ignore-the-economic-value-of-gamefish/

#17 ·
And strike netting trout should be illegal. I can see it done for mullet but when they go in a creek to lay waste it takes two weeks or more for the trout numbers to come back up and guess what happens then. Did you guess. I'm sure you see where I'm going with this. I ran nets for years with my dad around harkers island and I have seen what they are capable of. Never stike netted just flounder nets but watched it done. The waste from it is crazy when you hit the non target. So if you think for one second that all guys trying to scratch out a living are good salt of the earth people watch a striker or small mesh gill netter knock small trout or drum or a comerant for that matter over the bow of the boat and kill it to keep going at a break neck pace. So no it is not about economics to some of us, it is about the fish. And ****** said it, never seen anyone walk out of a resturaunt because striper was t on the menue.

#19 ·
Money talks blank walks. That's what killed gamefish and the trawl petition even though I wasn't all for getting rid of all trawling inside. Just the big boats that pull four hundred foot headropes four or five boats wide threw the sound. I think the little boats working shrimp nets are not that big of a prob.

#22 ·
One of the major problems is NC fisheries are not highly promoted on a national scale. There is no doubt that the old drum is a widely known event, but we are not known as the destination for rich people (athletes, senators, and *most* other well to do people) to come catch trout or reds. If we could somehow change the national, or even just the greater east coasts views on our fishery then things could quite possibly change for the gamefish(that aren't gamefish) of NC.

Who knows the actual economic impact of being a premier sportfishing state, ask Florida or Louisiana or Texas...

I have talked people from around the southern east coast about fishing and catching and in their opinion it "isnt worth it to travel to NC to fish".

#23 ·
I have talked people from around the southern east coast about fishing and catching and in their opinion it "isnt worth it to travel to NC to fish".

There aint enough in any of those places you mentioned to draw me there for fishing either and there is an upside to that as well.
You want to cripple a commercial fisherman. Not to mention a rich and valued heritage of this state, but you would welcome a bunch of jet setters to pressure the same "fragile" fishery.
Doesn't make sense to me.

#24 ·
Drum Runner, you know full well that is not what he is saying. The point you make is that the coast is poor and the commercial guys are barely making it, so why not welcome an influx of money and the commercial guys can benefit from it by taking advantage of it. They will have to adapt to new industries, but the pressure on the resource will be different and beneficial. I fish many states on the east coast and NC has some specific fisheries that are exceptional at specific times, but in general the neighboring states have much better overall fisheries that are more consistent and have documented proof that eliminating or minimizing netting had a dramatic effect.

If you are bent on preserving the heritage, I suppose you ride a horse to work and row your boat, after all those new fangled machines are just for those rich city folk.

#26 ·
If you are bent on preserving the heritage, I suppose you ride a horse to work and row your boat, after all those new fangled machines are just for those rich city folk.
:)

I am far from a "rich city folk" and I do appreciate tradition and heritage. BUT I also recognize waste at a massive scale.

I don't want to group all commercial fishing into one because not all are wasteful. I have no problem with gigging, as it has been said before it is the most selective form of fishing period.

#25 ·
Turn a commercial fisherman into a guide?
Let's take you and turn you into something else that just maybe you don't want to be just so some outsider will come play in your backyard and tell you what is what and that you are or will be better off. All because somebody wants to fish for fun.

I don't think so.
I wasn't raised that way. I was raised in a family of NC farmers. Go to a farmer with that same line of reasoning...better bring a buddy to carry you off. Why is that?
Because you are MESSING with someone's livelyhood not somebody's playpen.
A lot of people can't see past the point of their own nose. You got 30k tied up in that pretty little fishing rig. The commericial fisherman has his whole life tied up in that net boat or trawler. Just like a farmer. People ride by a farm and they have no clue what goes on beyond what you can see from the road. Not a clue. They just know groceries are in the grocery store. Same with seafood.
They'll talk crap about commercial fishermen while eating a flounder plate just like people will talk crap about a hog farmer while eating a sausage biscuit. CLUELESS

#28 ·
Drum Runner, I grew up in Iowa and have worked on a farm, so not sure how you know my background so well. Who said anything about being a guide??? Guess you know my thoughts now too. Those who stick their heads in the sand and refuse to change are the ones who are unfortunately clueless.

Also, not sure why you have to be insulting to someone who has done well for themselves. I do not not make smart remarks about someone who is less fortunate. Perhaps you need to take a good look in the mirror, might be surprised what you see.

#31 ·
Drum Runner, I grew up in Iowa and have work on a farm, so not sure how you know my background so well. Who said anything about being a guide??? Guess you know my thoughts now too. Those who stick their heads in the sand and refuse to change are the ones who are unfortunately clueless.

Also, not sure why you have to be insulting to someone who has done well for themselves. I do not not make smart remarks about someone who is less fortunate. Perhaps you need to take a good look in the mirror, might be surprised what you see.

So everybody that will not change is a just a mere problem? If we changed at every whim of every person or entity in this country, we wouldn't be here. You look at one side. You come from Iowa and obviously have done well to have a home around the coast. It's not your livelyhood. It's your playpen.

As far as me being insulting to someone who has done well for themselves? Who is talking down to who with this statement.
I don't care how little or how much you have, you still put your pants on just like I do...one leg at the time. And I'll still tell you what I want to tell you whether you are begging for a dime or burning 100 dollar bills.
Yea, I aint done too shabby for myself either. AVIATION. I'd be all over the fool that tried to turn me into something else that suited them so they could play. Like white on rice. The sad part is....you would too but you ignore that for argument sake.

#29 ·
Let's stay track. Farming and commercial fishing are NOT the same thing.

I work for a farm, I see what goes on even behind closed doors.

My family was some of the last hold outs raising hogs on the ground.

Things change, times change and people have to change with them.

#35 ·
The material used to make nets has changed. What nets do hasn't.

It is wasteful, to a disgusting level. Not all are so wreckless but most of what I see tend to be.

Just pull into an area where a net has been pulled. You WILL see waste.

#36 ·
Regulations both fed and state create the bulk of that waste. The fisherman doesn't.
Regardless of regulation that trawler still has to trawl. If he brings up a 1000 pounds of flounder federally protected that has to go back overboard some will die...what caused that? Regulation. The trawler can't discern what is trawled.
Time is money. Commercial fishing is no different.
Commercial fishing is what it is. A necessity.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.