Big Helton Delayed Harvest 10/22

Thread: Big Helton Delayed Harvest 10/22

Default Big Helton Delayed Harvest 10/22

I was in West Jefferson overnight and decided to wake up early and fish the Big Helton Creek near the VA line. Got to the water around 8ish and began casting left and right. Not much luck for the first little bit and no bites in the first spot. Moved up stream to another hole and found two small rainbow's in the fast water. Tied some new gear on and moved up into a big hole near a bridge (the one they must have dumped them from) Right next to the bridge I caught 4 nice brook trout, all over 12in. I seen one come out of the dark and look at my fly that could have pushed 18-20 in. All in all I had a great trip with good weather and scenery. Glad to know those fish will be in that delayed harvest water till the spring time.. I hope...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	DSC01612.jpg‎
Views:	141
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	56483 Click image for larger version.

Name:	DSC01615.jpg‎
Views:	162
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	56484 Click image for larger version.

Name:	DSC01619.jpg‎
Views:	150
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	56485

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Red X Angler
    Captains Club

I have had going to Helton on m mind for awhile now.

Darrell
    Whitewater, and wingsdlc like this.

Red X Angler

nice work, what were you catching them on? also nice sticker on the back of that truck, go cats!
    Whitewater likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Started catchin the brookies on an orange squirmy worm, twitched in a big slow hole.. no hits on the dropper, they just wanted the meat..

Helton has been interesting this fall. Although folks have caught fish, most of the reports I've heard have not been about large numbers. Most number have ranged from a couple of fish up to about 15. I didn't get to fish it until about a week after stocking and I did not see the usual big concentrations of fish. Water has been low and very clear (which seems to be the case in a number of streams) and fish in some areas are pretty spooky and stubborn. Last Sunday, for me, longer cast and greater stealth were prerequisites for catching fish. I fished from about 11-1:30 and then the action seem to come to a halt. I found fish where I had found only 1 or 2 the previous weekend and in places where I had found fish a week earlier there appeared to be none. However, I am told by a guy that lives there and helped stock that they put a lot of fish in and that within a day or two the large concentrations in some of the popular stocking spots were nowhere to be found???...and he has seen no evidence of poaching/netting etc.(but certainly that is a possibility) (fish movement perhaps???...and one of the reasons that several studies of fish movement are being done this fall)

Effective flies for me and a couple of customers have been Prince Nymphs and Tellico (bead and non-bead); Red Copper John and Red ***, Pheasant Tails and Egg Patterns and some olive and black wooly buggers.
    dbeam likes this.

Richard
    CarolinaMountainSports.com
    Statesville, NC 704 871-1444

Richard, they've seemed more dispersed down on the E. Fork French Broad the couple of times I've been in there. Looks like a slightly different mix of fish in comparison to last year's fall stockings, as well. More big (mostly male) brookies, fewer big rainbows.

Are there many otter in the EFFB and Helton? They are multiplying in the Little and I'm sure they eat plenty.

I haven't seen a ton of evidence of otters on the EFFB, have seen some signs of them on several other streams in the FB drainage, including some of the other forks. I see more of what I believe to be minks than I do of otters.

I've never seen a Otter in western NC or a mink either. Sure they could be around but they are not prevalent enough to be seen often or ever in NC. Just my opinion and I do spend a good amount of time in the field. (on water) I agree with ya'll that this years stockings of DH waters are a bit different. The spots I fished the WF of the pigeon and Helton creek DH waters last year had many more fish in the water and they seemed to be more concentrated overall. Maybe they will do another stocking in a few weeks of DH waters?

They stock DH streams in October, then again in November. As for otters, they're not all uncommon around here. You don't necessarily see the otters themselves, but you'll see plenty of scat, and occasionally come across a den as a wading angler. If you do most of your fishing from a drift boat or yak, you're far less likely to encounter evidence of otters.

I do most of my fishing from an Appalachian Old Town Whitewater canoe that's modified for fishing.(i'm to big for a yak) That might be the reason for not seeing those critters. I have seen a good bit of sign from either beavers or musk rats in the Tuck and this past week at big Helton. And that's good news that they are going to stock DH waters again in a few weeks!

I've not seen otters on Helton but haven't really looked for sign. Do see some muskrats (and another critter two I didn't get a good look at) on the New and it's forks and a good bit of beaver activity in some nearby streams in Ashe County the last year or so, and previously on Helton. However, two spots I was watching have been abandoned (or "terminated')

All the DH streams should be stocked during the first week of Nov.( Hope we get some more water.) Specific dates are posted in advance on ncwildlife.org
    dbeam likes this.

Richard
    CarolinaMountainSports.com
    Statesville, NC 704 871-1444

I ve observed them numerous times and are not easily mistaken for beavers or muskrats. They behave much differenty and tend to emerge in a very unique way. More often than not there will be more than one.
    dbeam, and Fish_Fiend like this.

16. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements