NC Angler Forums banner

Kayak Striper Season - Kerr Lake?

3K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Jeffonc 
#1 ·
Anybody heading up that way between now and first week of Jan, give a shout (or PM).

I *might* get out tomorrow (Thurs, Dec 5) for the warm weather before the next front... will depend on work, wind forecast, and a variety of external factors. Won't know til the morning.

#2 ·
Hey Jeff.... I would love to head out with you one of these days to try and catch my first striper..... Been on my "Fishing Bucket List" for some time but have never actually targeted them. Hit me up with a PM next time you're going and maybe I can work it out to meet you out on Kerr!!!

Wayne

#5 ·
Kayakers caught a mess of them last Saturday (while I was away on a romantic weekend. I wouldn't rather have been there, but I'd like to be there for a day like that!). Turtlestew made the post about it. They caught em in about every way possible - freelined jumbo minnows on planers, spoons, cranks, lipless, bama rigs, etc...

Kerr Lake 12/7/13-New PB Striper
http://www.ncangler.com/forums/showpost.php?p=435021

#7 ·
Got a report from last Wednesday. Quite a few caught on back in Grassy, along with some quality cats.
We got a group of boaters going on the 27th, not paddlers but friendly company none the less.

Reactions: Spider Crack
#10 ·
i am going up next saturday if weather permitting if any one wants to go, know the stripers are in the creeks now do to the water temp. i am going to grassy or butchers, or if anyone has something differ in mind that wants to go. being new member here pm dont thinks working yet. love to fish with someone with new ideas......

#13 ·
I got out friday. No stripers, but pretty good by-catch day - goliath white perch and a husky LM. They've found the holiday buffet... At times the ff would find a false bottom for minutes at a time due to how thick the bait was underneath.
Water Fish Recreational fishing Fishing Fish products
Yellow Fish Fisherman Tail Gas

My next opportunity looks like day after christmas - Thurs, Dec 26. Going to get my annual stripe yet!

#14 ·
We had the same experience Friday. Baitballs were HUGE. The Humminbird was tellin me 20' on 40' of water due to the thick schools. Caught a few cats and one LMB but no stripers. There were plenty of boats but only saw one near keeper caught.

#15 ·
Another "Bah Humbug" day out there for stripers today. Only 1 by-catch to show for my efforts...
Yellow Fisherman Fish Recreational fishing Fishing

nice enough bass, but wearing the wrong suit again. I did manage to share some Christmas spirit with Bobcat's, which was fun. Pretty, cold and a bit breezy, but all-in-all a good day to be out.

Maybe Monday, Dec 30 for my last try of the year? Anybody else?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.