Elizabeth River Trip

Thread: Elizabeth River Trip

Default Elizabeth River Trip

Pulled out from Grifton Monday morning at 5am heading north. Had the boat in the water around 8:30 and started fish right away close to the dock. Tide shifted and the specks started feeding right away. Casting mirrolure 52's across a hump and letting the tide swing the bait off to the deeper water and they would smoke it. Switched over to the 18mr and they would nail those also. No big fish at the first spot(18"19") so we moved on to look for larger trout. Hit some of my partner's regular spots and found some more takers around the same size so we kept on moving. Finally found a little better spot with some solid 3lbers so we hung out there for a while. Another shallow point so we switched over to some hot olive twitchin raps and some 17mr's. Before we decided to stop my buddy took me to the cove just to show me this local hot spot. We got there late but just in time to see two 6lbers caught in the first five minutes. This is mainly a live bait spot for the locals but we chunked some lures for about 20 minutes with no luck and headed in to the dock.

Day two we hit the water around 7am in the snow/sleet mix. Fished up Deep Creek for a while and hung some really strong fish on 52's but couldn't keep em hooked up. We moved back out in the main river to check the spot from day one and the fish were still there chewing again. Stayed on em a little while and moved again to look for bigger fish. The next spot we hit I get slammed right away and it's definitely a better fish. A little over 24" so we got a pic and let her go. About a minute later Tommy hooks up in the same spot. It's another 24.5" speck. Get the pic and let her go to. Thought we had found the spot and I think we did but we got there a few minutes late. We kept fishing and a got a few more strong hits but no more fish. Talked with a guy that released a 30" and some more pigs before we got to that area so I guess we should have gotten there faster. Finally went back to a spot from the first day and caught our limit of nice eating size trout before loading up for the ride home. It's an awesome place and I can't wait to get back up there. I will get a 10lber this year!! Here's a few pics from the trip and my poor Rapala x rap shad shallow that will most definitely get a new paint job this week..... it was brand new when I started Tuesday morning. Happy New Year everybody and tight lines in 2014!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_20131231_105808_419-1.jpg‎
Views:	342
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	57956 Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_20131230_160614_410.jpg‎
Views:	323
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	57957 Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_20131230_131859_139-1.jpg‎
Views:	327
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	57958 Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_20131231_104901_127.jpg‎
Views:	311
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	57959 Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_20131231_192027_984.jpg‎
Views:	337
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	57960 Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_20131231_192121_755.jpg‎
Views:	308
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	57961 Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_20131231_192116_166.jpg‎
Views:	311
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	57962

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thanks for the report sounds like a good trip.

Joe, I bought one of those Rapala X Rap Shad Shallow while they were on sale at NSS. Haven't used it yet. Do you have a particular time and water depth you use it in, or just fish it in any conditions? Also do you use this same lure in NC?
    RED X ANGLER

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

RouseD that lure in the photo had been sitting in my tackle box for years brand new. I know they work well around here but I have never used them. The regular x-rap 10 is a go to bait up there for a lot of folks but I don't own any of those and didn't want to buy more tackle so I used these with 2 suspend dots added to help keep it down in the current. They work really well for me on this trip and I think I may need to try them in some of my local spots in the Neuse. The current is super strong in the river up there when it starts flowing so almost all the baits we used we added 2-4 suspend dots to and sometimes that wasn't enough. Don't go up there without some Mirrolure 18's 38's and 52's. You can probably use any hard bait you like just ad some extra weight to it to hold it down. Not sure about soft plastics but I would imagine you would need a lot heavier jighead than the ones we use here. Good luck if you go...........
    hoodlum, papadave, and RouseD like this.

Thanks Joe. I'll try the one I have and maybe add some lead dots to it if necessary. Only bought one just to try it. I think it may be good in warmer slower water without altering the weight.
    RED X ANGLER

Joe did you launch at Great Bridge?
    I marvel how the fishes live in the sea.
    Why, as men do a-land; the great ones eat up the little ones.
    William Shakespeare

Chesapeake Yacht's. My buddy has a pass for there. Nice ramp and no worries like I hear about at some of the parks.

Quote Originally Posted by joe the plumber View Post
    Chesapeake Yacht's. My buddy has a pass for there. Nice ramp and no worries like I hear about at some of the parks.
    Awesome that puts you what 500ft from the hot hole lol
    William Shakespeare

We never fished by the "Hot Ditch" at all. Went up Deep Creek once each day and the rest of the time we satyed above the ramp in the main river. That ramp is right in the middle of all the action and well worth the $10 a day fee to launch. Not sure how you get a pass but I'll find out from my buddy in next few days.
    Island Man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by joe the plumber View Post
    We never fished by the "Hot Ditch" at all. Went up Deep Creek once each day and the rest of the time we satyed above the ramp in the main river. That ramp is right in the middle of all the action and well worth the $10 a day fee to launch. Not sure how you get a pass but I'll find out from my buddy in next few days.
    If you ever need a partner during the week let me know.
    joe the plumber likes this.

William Shakespeare

Think I saw you on Monday I was in a 19' Tidewater. The Chesapeake Yacht Club is the ticket for getting in the action. Only got a couple trout this trip one on a MR18 and One on a 6" swim bait. Not my best trip up there but beats sitting at home.

Seems like I remember seeing a Tidewater boat Monday. I was fortunate to go with my buddy that knows the place pretty well or it could've been a lot different result for the trip. I left the bay boat at home and we took his little 16' Bass Tracker. It's a pretty well protected area from the wind but you have to look out for those dang tugboats!!! lol . Island Man as soon as I can build up some leave time at work I'm going back up there. Maybe we can organize a group trip of ncangler members....

Nice report, I have to make some time to go again. We fish the Eliz all the time in a 16' double wide jon. You do have to watch for the tugs and bridge construction boat traffic. Fun place to fish knowing that a 8-10lb speck is always a possibility!!

Nice job Joe. My step grandfather used to fish the Elizabeth River...he lived up there for 40 years. It's a great fishery for sure...

Thanks for an awesome report, I always look forward to them. Never had the chance to fish up there but I hope to before it warms up.

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements