ice ice everywhere

Thread: ice ice everywhere

Default ice ice everywhere

ice makes things challenging, doesn't it? went up to the mitchell river today. the lower section by the dam is completely covered bank-to-bank for a few hundred yards upriver. most of the upper sections are fishable, though there are a few strategic stretches of ice that complicate some of the nicer pools. caught four or five spunky rainbows in the swifter waters, but really had to work for 'em. then, went up to the ararat for the first time. the ice was breaking up there, and wasn't as much of a problem as the murky water. guess it still needs time to clear up. then went to stone mountain park, and the streams there were in pretty much the same situations as the upper sections of the mitchell river. fishable, but limited casting access because of, y'know, ice.

supposed to be pretty cold the next few days, so don't think things will get a ton better anytime soon. which brings me to my question (one i probably know the answer to) ... is there a good centralized location to find out what the ice status is for these rivers? maybe there's a thread on here i haven't seen (i'm still a newbie in that regard). i live in charlotte, so the water/ice conditions here are never the same as they are in the mountains. i know a couple places to call for certain rivers (on wilson creek, for example), but considering i have a couple hours' drive, i like to have a feel for what my best options are before i step out the door.

maybe people can post what they see, ice-wise, here? i dunno. just a thought.

these pics were from my previous trip to the mitchell river, a fun day unencumbered by ice. the brown was a hair under 20 inches, and the bigger rainbow was about an inch shorter. forgot to measure the other one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	photo 1.jpg‎
Views:	101
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	58511 Click image for larger version.

Name:	photo 3.jpg‎
Views:	97
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	58512 Click image for larger version.

Name:	photo 2.jpg‎
Views:	108
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	58513

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I think starting a thread for ice conditions is a great idea. Hope it catches on.
    Red X Angler
    "And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise." Luke 6:31

I hit the Ararat yesterday it was my first time, I got skunked but still had a great time. Let me correct that, I did catch a nice 12x8 chunk of ice.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Contact me before heading up to the Ararat and I'll ride over and check it for you.
    noseman12, and papadave like this.

Red X Angler

Nice!!! Especially considering the weather.

Very nice pigs!
    2014 Native Slayer Propel 13 Lizard Lick
    Wicked Catch Pro Staff

Looking to make a trip to Mt. Airy tomorrow (Saturday). Anyone able to report on snow thawing/river ice conditions?

Evening Gents, this is also my first post and I am also looking to head up to Mt. Airy this weekend to fling some fly line into some trees. First time getting the fly rod out in NC and am excited to try some southern winter fishing.
    I am hoping someone has a report on the conditions on the Ararat.

Cheers

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements