NC Angler Forums banner

Small stream Jack

3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  dbeam 
#1 ·
I got tired of not catching anything so I went to a stream that holds a few Jack. If you recognize this stream don't post its name as it is small and cant handle a lot of pressure. The lure of choice today was(is) a Jack killer and it is a 1/6 oz super roostertail in red with red hackle(no longer made in that combo).

The stream was a toasty 42 degrees and I got 1 follow and 3 hits. here is my one and only fish of the year.

Insect Arthropod Organism Pest Invertebrate
Hand Arm Sky Leg Water

Mack

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
If you run out of the Roostertails I might be able to tie up a reasonable facsimile with a small willow leaf or an inline blade.

Nice Pickerel I haven't caught any in years but plan on making a trip in search of them of these days. I used to fish a pond in Montgomery County back in the late 70's that was full of good size chain and a few Redfin.

Darrell

#6 ·
Wow! You decided to peak early this year. It's going to be a very long and hot summer for you. I'll have you know a couple of VERY big gobblers took a dirt nap thanks to moi not one mile downstream from where you took that picture. My boss killed a buck about 1/2 mile down one day we were doing a two man sneak and peak drive in very heavy river bottom cover that required FIVE 00 buck and a knife to calm down and then we could not lift it in the truck. A real freak of nature size and rack wise. I'll never ever forget that day. It's a honey hole for sure for fish and game. Surprised it only took you 20 year to find it.

P.S.

this is the Weaver model # 849431 I need. :D

Reactions: dbeam
#7 ·
^^^wrong!..if you read my blog you would see that I have been to this spot before. rookie :rolleyes:

#14 ·
I started using the Vibric Rooster tail years back. it has an offset body and uses an inline (Panther Martin type) blade. When we still had lots of White bass on Hickory it was my go to lure. It was bad to twist even with the offset body, I think I will try a making a couple similar to the "Super" with the inline blade, it doesn't look like it would be bad to twist at all. I guess I could buy a couple but I have blades, wires, etc. burning a hole in the drawers of the fly table. Plus case of Cabin Fever as well.

Mack thanks for perking my interest in then pickerel and the Rooster Tail.

Darrell

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.