Mo' Better Belews Friday and Sunday 2-7 and 2-9

Thread: Mo' Better Belews Friday and Sunday 2-7 and 2-9

Default Mo' Better Belews Friday and Sunday 2-7 and 2-9

My wife was gracious enough to offer to keep our toddler for two days this week so that I could fish. As a trade, I let her sleep in both days and got started late morning Friday and again Sunday.

Fished Friday with Jim joining me about mid day, and it was a bit tougher than it had been previously. Caught 3 in the last 1/3 of the day; I had one on Texas rig from a laydown (this shocked no one) and he had the better two on fish busting shad near the surface out on the main lake as it got into the last hour of daylight. The fish were breaking all over chasing shad, and the object is to try to reach the spot before they go back down again... a tactic we dubbed "Whack-A-Mole fishing" after the arcade game where you try to beat the moles on the heads with a mallet as they pop up and then quickly disappear. The hard part when the bass are surrounded by shad is getting them to hit something artificial. We probably saw a hundred bass hitting surface (not really exaggerating) in the last hour and a half of the day, but either couldn't reach them in time or couldn't get them to hit. Jim got one on slashbait and one on a wacky rigged worm.

Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_1780.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	58828 Water temp 61, cool, partly sunny, light breeze with mild chop

So today, I got back out about 1030 again. Decided to test a theory / hunch and look at some different points, ones not as much on the main lake but a little closer to spawning grounds. Thought I was onto something when in the first hour I caught two on C-rig with Berkley Power worm off a secondary point. Both about this size

Name:	IMG_1783.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	58829

Hit another point, then tried a main lake area that had been active recently but didn't get any takers. Headed back up to the ramp to pick up Gene (Fish_Fiend). He's been wanting to see Belews and our schedules finally crossed paths. We picked up where I had left off, trying a couple of pre-spawn staging areas, and even took a look back into one of the little creek arms. Gene was intrigued by all the shoreline shallow cover and I had just finished telling him that Belews is weird, you typically wouldn't expect to catch them up shallow pitching at visible cover, when he snatches one out of some emergent brushy cover in 3 feet of water. It shook the hook boatside so no pic, but was a keeper sized 1.5lb'er. So much for what I know about this lake! We tried some more of that pattern and didn't get any more bites, though.

We struggled a bit after that, and my hunch didn't pay any more dividends. Hit a few more points that seemed similar to the first one earlier in the day, but no love ... even went back to that spot but it had gone quiet. So with fading daylight and fading optimism, I took us back to some main lake points that had been producers a week or two ago but not so much the last couple of trips, hoping for something to happen. I was about to give up on the first one, when Gene switched to C-rig Speed Craw and boated number 4 on the day

Name:	IMG_1784.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	58830

We moved to another main lake point, where he hooked another on the C-rig, and then we got to see some of the surface activity we'd been hoping for all afternoon. In the last 40 minutes, fish were breaking all over the place chasing shad, and we managed to cash in on a couple - they would not hit the slash baits or A-rig, so I pirated BTJ Jim's idea on the wacky worm and boated two as dusk was settling. They were hitting it as it sank with only an occasional twitch. Sorry about the last pic's quality, not sure what happened to it.

Name:	IMG_1786.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	58831

We ended the day having done some head scratching and using a mixed bag of tactics to finally tally 7 bass, only one was not keeper size but none were over 2lbs. I've certainly had much slower days, and I was excited to end the day catching fish. Had a great time fishing with Gene!

- Sam
    "Things are only impossible until they're not!"

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Good job guys. Baffling Belews gave up a few secrets. I got skunked my last time going to some deeper spots than usual. Maybe we ought to get everyone out there at once throwing different lures to the same spot. Somebody would be bound to have the right setup.
    Marc
    RED X ANGLER

I'm intrigued by Belews now. It's poison I know! But with all the shoreline cover you see it amazes me that we only caught one fish jig or t-rig

Tapatalk - Galaxy S4
    Gene - Red X ​- Asheboro

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I thought it was just me.
    Fish_Fiend likes this.

Red X Angler
    Guide 119 Camo

Looks like a great couple days! Nice job
    Red X Angler
    There is always a way

Quote Originally Posted by Abert43 View Post
    Looks like a great couple days! Nice job
    I'd say we worked for it, but it was a nice couple of days on the water. Any time I catch some fish in Winter, I'm happy.
    Abert43 likes this.

- Sam

Default Belews, Belews, Belews.......

I'm intrigued by Belews now.
    The health dept up here used to give shots for that, but it never helped!

with all the shoreline cover you see it amazes me that we only caught one fish jig or t-rig
    intrigued by all the shoreline shallow cover
    I admire the tenacity of you shallow water anglers. Anywhere but here, I'm right there with ya', but at the Belew Lagoon, if you're looking for me, I'll be in the deep end!

Glad you guys are picking up some fish!

BTJ
    Fish_Fiend likes this.

BroncoTwisterJim
    Red X Angler

Quote Originally Posted by Fish_Fiend View Post
    I'm intrigued by Belews now. It's poison I know! But with all the shoreline cover you see it amazes me that we only caught one fish jig or t-rig

Tapatalk - Galaxy S4
    I beat my head against that wall more days than I remember, Gene... I think I have caught or seen caught maybe three fish doing that (yours being the third, and the first one being me way back when). If I can see the branches at the end of the laydown, I have very low confidence of catching fish in them. I have seen fish in them many times, but I think they can just see you before you can get in range of casting to them, and once they see you they are unlikely to hit. Now, as we talked about the deeper laydowns that sit or project below the visibility limit of the clear water, they will sometimes give up fish and I continue to target those when I find them, but even that has been spotty. To date my largest bass there was on a T-rig worm but that was not from a shallow / visible laydown, it was on the edge of a secondary channel that at the time I didn't know has a brushpile. I thought it was a tree branch from shoreline stuff originally but it's actually further out than that and I have subsequently found the brushpile on sonar recently. And I have been back to it several times and not gotten bit there again.

I did watch a guy pull a couple buck bass out of the laydowns just North of the 65 bridge on flukes one morning, but despite trying I have not yet been able to duplicate that with any consistency. Coming from fishing Randleman especially, it's really hard to turn a blind eye to all that great looking cover along the shorelines, but except on certain (otherwise read as "steep") shorelines, it just isn't a very good producer at Belews.

The fish really orient heavily to the shad themselves out there, especially during Winter (you saw a little of that too... fish breaking surface chasing bait in everything from 15ft of water out to 80 feet).
    Fish_Fiend, and oldkayaker like this.

- Sam

I think I'm gonna try Belews again on Monday if the weather holds out before the next system comes through. I am going to fight the urge to go shallow and just search the depths.
    Marc
    RED X ANGLER

Hello....My name is Gene and Im addicted to laydowns and rockpiles.
    Gene - Red X ​- Asheboro

Quote Originally Posted by threeoh8holes View Post
    I think I'm gonna try Belews again on Monday if the weather holds out before the next system comes through. I am going to fight the urge to go shallow and just search the depths.
    Be on the lookout for surface activity in the last hour of daylight. The bass have been running shad up the surface and if you're quick on the draw you can drop a bait where they hit the shad and sometimes get bit. Wacky rigged weightless senkos' in natural colors were working fairly well last week. Throw them into the rings where the fish just hit, and let it sink like dying bait, maybe an occasional twitch. I was using smaller hooks than I normally do, 1-0 circle type hooks... I think the less visible hardware the better for slow moving or stationary baits at Belews.

Sending a PM. Good luck and I hope the weather holds for you!
    - Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Fish_Fiend View Post
    Hello....My name is Gene and Im addicted to laydowns and rockpiles.
    Maybe we should start a support group.
    Fish_Fiend likes this.

Marc
    RED X ANGLER

15. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements