A few trips to Jordan this winter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A few trips to Jordan this winter.

Default A few trips to Jordan this winter.

Been a pretty busy winter crappie season with work and family, but have made several trips to Jordan this winter for the crappie. Usually just fish around the 64 bridge every year.
    First trip was on New Years Day and fished by myself catching 23 with only 5 keepers. There was a lot of current flowing under the bridge. More than I've ever experienced. It was a very busy day controlling the boat in the current and wind.
    Second trip was Jan. 4 with Zachary. We caught 66 with 14 keepers. My buddy Jesse was also up there with his boat and he caught a few as well. Again, current under the bridge was horrible. Made me start checking the water flow charts before heading up to make sure there wasn't too much water moving through the lake.

Third trip was on Jan. 21 with my friend David from church who loves to fish, but doesn't get a chance to do so very often. Again the current was there, but not as bad as before. We caught 101 for the day and had 21 keepers. His face says it all. My favorite fishing is taking kids and adults that don't get to fish much.

Took Zach and Emily on Feb. 8 and we caught 107 crappie, 40 white perch, and one catfish from 8:30 a.m. to 1pm, and had 14 keepers. Current was still there, but I started figuring out how to work with it better.

Went again today with my friend (and taxidermist) Mike and we caught 101 with 19 keepers. We caught several from about 8am to 9:30 or so and when the wind picked up we took off looking for some in some more protected waters. Didn't do any good so went back to 64 and fished from about 11 to 2. Current wasn't bad first thing this morning, but picked up in the afternoon.

Lots of current under the 64 bridge this year seemed to keep the fish messed up a bit making them inconsistent. Saw water temps ranging from 41 - 48 degrees and up until today the "magic" depth seemed to be 28', today it was 22'. Lots of 9 1/2" to 9 15/16" and they have been thick healthy looking fish. Should be a good spring.
    Also made a trip to Tillery with Zach for some cats catching 4 on Jan. 16 with the best being right at 20 lbs.

Got to fish in the snow when it hit. Put on the Blewitt Falls Lake on Jan. 31 with Zach, Mike, and Jesse with air temps at 16 degrees when we launched. No problem catching bait other than having to dip the net between throws to thaw it out. LOL We caught 28 cats ranging from 2 - 18 pounds with most in the 8-12 lb. range. That was a cold, but very fun day on the water.

Mike
    Take a kid outdoors!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Nice catching.
    Take a Bass Boating!!!
    Life Jackets and Kill Switches save lives.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by michaelg View Post
    My favorite fishing is taking kids and adults that don't get to fish much.
    Hooray and Amen for that, Mike! Keep up the good work.

Do you think the ratio of keepers to shorts is worse than previous years? I drive over the 64 bridge quite a bit, and never saw more than half a dozen boats out there this year. I understand that different spots get hot and not based on a lot of factors, and there was some catching over by Ebenezer, but the reports do seem to have a lot of throwbacks and not as many easy limits as a they used to.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Definitely saw a decline in the keeper ratio a couple years ago, but seems to be holding steady and increasing a bit since. My best day was 3 or 4 years ago we caught 250 in one day with just over 100 of them being keeper size (no, didn't keep them all, not even our limit) and since then we were catching over 100 a day and lucky to have 10-12 keepers.
    Mike

Take a kid outdoors!

Red X Angler
    Captains Club

Great pics thanks for sharing and congratulations on the blog award

Darrell
    Red X Angler

Wow that's some great fishing!!
    Red X Angler
    There is always a way

Great fishin. Keep those nice pics coming!
    Aka: Inshorefisher

Nice work Mike. I think the size is starting to come back some down there.
    dbeam likes this.

ive never crappie fished before. that looks like a lot of fun. what depth are you looking for to fish in? what types of lures? can you give a couple quick tips to a beginner?

The fish were in about 28' of water, but the last couple trips 22' worked better. I use a double rig with a 3/4 oz. wt. on the bottom and 2 hooks tied above using loop knots. We use minnows this time of year.

Fished Saturday afternoon and caught 97 with 15 keepers, wate temp. about 48 degrees.
    Mike

Take a kid outdoors!
    dbeam likes this.

Do u ever fish harris or blewetts for crappie

Never been on Harris, but planning on hitting Blewett this spring for some crappie.
    Mike

Take a kid outdoors!

Thanks Mike. I always enjoy your reports and pictures.

Fish are usually stacked up in 20'-30' of water in Harris. No size or creel limits. Better size fish in Jordan, 10"/20 per limit in Jordan. Same setup as Mike. Double drop with minnows. Gold #6 or #4 wire J-hooks work great in case a large mouth decides to have a snack.

Quote Originally Posted by Calabash513 View Post
    Fish are usually stacked up in 20'-30' of water in Harris. No size or creel limits. Better size fish in Jordan, 10"/20 per limit in Jordan. Same setup as Mike. Double drop with minnows. Gold #6 or #4 wire J-hooks work great in case a large mouth decides to have a snack.
    Thanks for the info. How far apart do you tie the hooks? I think Id like to try taking my dad out crappie fishing. He needs to get out of the house and would probably enjoy the weather thats coming.

Good luck out there everyone! Love seeing the posts.

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast