The Fish That Broke the Spell!

Thread: The Fish That Broke the Spell!

Default The Fish That Broke the Spell!

From 2010-2012, I caught more bass at Belews on a 1/2 oz. Red Eye Shad lipless crankbait than ALL other lures combined! As a matter of fact, it's arguably the most phenomenal single bass lure I've used. I have fished it every way you could ever imagine fishing a lipless, and probably a few you wouldn't imagine and I've caught fish with all of them. In that 3 year span, I probably wore the paint off 2 dozen of these lures. Then came 2013........

I have tried, with every ounce of fishing knowledge that I possess, to understand what changed. But, I have nothing! All I can tell you is from the fall of 2012, transitioning through the winter and into the spring of 2013, that bite STOPPED. I mean STOPPED! I have been so fortunate to have continued to catch more than my share on a wide variety of baits and presentations during all seasons and in a multitude of conditions. But, I have not been able to dispense with the desire to solve the Red Eye mystery. From early 2013 til now, not 1 Belews bass came to my boat by way of the Red Eye shad, and it was NOT for lack of trying.........

It is with great pleasure that I introduce to you the fish that changed it all:Click image for larger version.

Name:	Belews Ditch Bass.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	59267
    And wow, did he do it in style! I was fishing an area with good current flow, casting upcurrent and letting the lure work in the current back to me with a steady crank. This fish hit the Red Eye from behind, running it down and inhaling it. I have long loved the sensation of having a bass "stop a crankbait in it's tracks". This is the typical crankbait bite. I detected this bite when this bass knocked slack in my line, knocking the lure toward me when he crushed it from behind! I was cranking like a mad man trying to catch up with him, charging the boat with his new Red Eye prize! It seemed like he wanted to show me what he had done to my lure and I couldn't wait to see! Awesome!

So, I still have no clue as to why this lure seemingly lost it's appeal on this fish population. But, I'm now okay with that. If this fish's reaction to seeing ol' Red Eye is any indication of the 2014 bite on this lure, I can't wait to see the rest of the story unfold of how the bass are again seeing Red at Belews!

BTJ

BroncoTwisterJim
    Red X Angler

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

gotta love that lipless crank! excellent work I really enjoyed reading this..tight lines bud!
    Cali bred hawg hunter!!

Nice fish, I've been doing the best with other methods. It's good to see someone catching them on lipless

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Nice job, Jim... I know that's been vexing you, and me as well, since I have thrown that same lure after watching you boat so many last season with it.

Congrats, nice fish!
    - Sam
    "Things are only impossible until they're not!"

Awesome! Congrats, I hope you get some more!
    Red X Angler
    There is always a way

If the red eye stops working for ya again you can send me all of them they are junk . Glad ya got one again.
    2020 LMB Total :130; largest 6# 5oz! Total over 4:14; lifetime largest 9.25
    2020 Crappie Total:75 biggest:1.5#

Default Return of the Red Eye!

gotta love that lipless crank! excellent work I really enjoyed reading this..tight lines bud!
    Thanks, Big Dawg! There is no bass lure that I enjoy fishing more. If you really get creative about it, you can fish this thing in so many different ways and be effective in many different scenarios. The action is awesome and the bite, never subtle! I'm thinking with some new custom paint from Joe at Contentnea Creek Customs, I can take the performance of this already incredible lure, to an all new level! Stay tuned......

Nice fish, I've been doing the best with other methods. It's good to see someone catching them on lipless
    Thanks, John! Those "other methods" are an essential ingredient for success at the Belew lagoon! Welcome to NCAngler!

Nice job, Jim... I know that's been vexing you, and me as well, since I have thrown that same lure after watching you boat so many last season with it.

Congrats, nice fish!
    Thanks, Tex! The Lord works in mysterious ways. What a blessing in disguise this has been for me. It had become too easy, I suppose, with this lure. So, when it shut off, it forced me to spend a great deal of time working, working, working on different methods with different lures and different presentations. Some of these were familiar to me and had produced elsewhere, but some were all together new and uncomfortable and lacking in the confidence department. That is no longer the case, as the time invested has paid big dividends in the fish caught and the confidence gained in this unfamiliar territory. Looking back, it's amazing how this has helped me and my fishing.

Awesome! Congrats, I hope you get some more!
    Thank You, Abert! I sure hope this is a sign of renewed interest in the ol' Red Eye. As mentioned above, I have been blessed with some success in using a variety of other methods during the Red Eye slump, but that method is definitely among my favorites!

If the red eye stops working for ya again you can send me all of them they are junk . Glad ya got one again.
    Spidey, I'm learning from your success and mine: I'm currently working on the design of a Red-Eye/Bream tandem rig! I just have to figure out how to get Joe's custom paint work to stick to that bream!

BTJ
    Abert43 likes this.

BroncoTwisterJim
    Red X Angler

Randy-

Thank you very much for the Blog Award!

Jim
    BroncoTwisterJim
    Red X Angler

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements