First of the Worst, Best of the Last!

Thread: First of the Worst, Best of the Last!

Default First of the Worst, Best of the Last!

So, there's a little stretch of DH water that I've wanted to try and the opportunity presented itself on Sunday. Now Sunday fell on March 2. That's the March 2 that falls just before March 3. March 3 is the first stocking of the DH water since last fall. So, I think most would say it was about the worst time I could have picked for my first trip there. You know the story.......... it's been fished out, washed out, frozen over and the reasons go on and on. So, we went anyway. First trip to the stream on the worst day to go?

I had my double nymph rig ready and planned on hitting the deeper holes. On this dreaded occasion, I was NOT surprised to see hardly anyone fishing. I surmised the "word" was out. So, I was able to pick my choice of spots and proceeded to jump right in. It took a little time to get the presentation like they wanted it,

Click image for larger version.

Name:	9trout3214.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	59363 Click image for larger version.

Name:	12trout3214.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	59367but when I did, it was on!

Name:	5trout3214.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	59362and on,

Name:	10trout3214.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	59364and on!

Name:	1trout2214.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	59365
    My wife/professional photographer was with me and we had an awesome day! I got an opportunity to try out some new fishing equipment while she broke in some new photo gear and the trout were more than willing to do their part.

Name:	6trout3214.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	59368Click image for larger version.

Name:	7trout3214.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	59369Click image for larger version.

Name:	8trout3214.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	59370Click image for larger version.

Name:	2trout3214.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	59374
    I couldn't believe this morning when I read Richard's(Chiefly Fly'n) post about the popular myth associated with fished out, worn out, empty DH streams. I, for one, can tell you that I am so glad I was there to experience some of the best fishing on the last day before stocking. I had it to myself and like I said, the fish were home and the game was on!

Special thanks to my wife and my NCAngler buds (Chiefly Fly'n, Finstalker, Possum & lostnwilderness) for some really great recent equipment info and general trout info!

BTJ

BroncoTwisterJim
    Red X Angler

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Blog Entries

Awesome report and pics. Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to get out there and get on some of those mountain trout with the long rod

An excellent day indeed!...Glad you were able to break in that new rod and that you had your own, personal photog to document the action. Sweet! Nice post.

Richard
    CarolinaMountainSports.com
    Statesville, NC 704 871-1444

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Angler Member
    Kayak Angler

love your fishing reports, thanks for sharing your photos!
    broncotwisterjim likes this.

2014 freshwater: 15 LMB, 12 crappie
    -Scott

Awesome report and pics. Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to get out there and get on some of those mountain trout with the long rod
    Thanks, Tony! Let me know when you can head this way. I'll take you to the best places I know for trout and I'll even trade ya' for a day chasing reds on the Intruder!

An excellent day indeed!...Glad you were able to break in that new rod and that you had your own, personal photog to document the action. Sweet! Nice post.
    Thanks, Richard, for all your help along the way. You've been an excellent resource for me and all I've sent your way. That Redington is NICE and all you have to do is point that dog and she'll hunt! It was making the job too easy. As for my wife, well I just can't say enough. I'm a blessed man, in so many ways!

love your fishing reports, thanks for sharing your photos!
    smarba- Thanks for the kind words! I have been the beneficiary of such valuable shared information on this site and been blessed to come to know many who share here. It is with great pleasure, that I offer my reports in return.

BTJ
    finstalker likes this.

BroncoTwisterJim
    Red X Angler

Oh man oh man BTJ! Those are some healthy looking bows!

Tapatalk - Galaxy S4

Gene - Red X ​- Asheboro

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by broncotwisterjim View Post
    Thanks, Tony! Let me know when you can head this way. I'll take you to the best places I know for trout and I'll even trade ya' for a day chasing reds on the Intruder!
    BTJ
    That sounds like a plan to me.

DH streams are being stocked this week.

Congrats on the fish!

Oh man oh man BTJ! Those are some healthy looking bows!
    Yeah Gene, they were healthy and jumping like Ladyfish in the ICW!

DH streams are being stocked this week.

Congrats on the fish!
    gambusia- Thanks and I can't wait to try out the post-stocking fishing. Based on this last trip before stocking, these next few should be awesome!

BTJ
    BroncoTwisterJim
    Red X Angler

Congrats, Jim! Sounds like a great trip.

- Sam
    "Things are only impossible until they're not!"

Red X Angler
    Captains Club

Great trip! thanks for the report and pictures. The biggest trout I have ever caught hit the smallest fly I have ever tied toward the last of Feb. 2013

Darrell
    broncotwisterjim, and finstalker like this.

Red X Angler

Congrats, Jim! Sounds like a great trip.
    Great trip! thanks for the report and pictures. The biggest trout I have ever caught hit the smallest fly I have ever tied toward the last of Feb. 2013

Darrell
    Thanks, guys! It was definitely big fun! Can't wait to see how this water fishes with the Newbies dropped in!

Darrell- I'm digging through my box now with the magnifying glass, in search of the smallest fly I have!

As always, THANK YOU SO MUCH to Randy & NCAngler for the Blog Award! It's always an honor.

BTJ
    finstalker likes this.

BroncoTwisterJim
    Red X Angler

Red X Angler
    Captains Club

It was a Zebra midge with white thread head tied on a size 20. Not small by some standards but I can't see to tie anything less, and still broke the first 2 while trying to whip finish.

Fishing for the newies should be a lot of fun.

If you want to hit the creeks North of Hickory let me know I would be happy to share anything I know about them or meet you out on the water if it would work out.

Darrell
    Red X Angler

Quote Originally Posted by dbeam View Post
    It was a Zebra midge with white thread head tied on a size 20. Not small by some standards but I can't see to tie anything less, and still broke the first 2 while trying to whip finish.

Fishing for the newies should be a lot of fun.

If you want to hit the creeks North of Hickory let me know I would be happy to share anything I know about them or meet you out on the water if it would work out.

Darrell
    Darrell-

That's an offer I'll plan to cash in on! I'd love to get out that way and have heard some great things about that area. Weekend or weekdays best for you?

Thanks,

Jim
    BroncoTwisterJim
    Red X Angler

Red X Angler
    Captains Club

weekdays work best because of the crowds, I will send you my days off in a PM.

Darrell

Red X Angler

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements