Randleman 3-15-14: Skunked no more

Thread: Randleman 3-15-14: Skunked no more

Default Randleman 3-15-14: Skunked no more

To my dismay and frustration I had not touched a fish since November 17, 2013. I had gone to HPCL several times and only come up with one bite. I had a planned trip with SurfRider derailed by a bad back and had a trip to RRR last weekend stopped by downed trees and no power. Needless to say I was thrilled to get on the water last Saturday. I was so jacked-up that I woke up at 5:00 AM and couldn't get back to sleep. I arrived at the gate at 6:50 and waited anxiously for the lake to open at 8:00.

Finally on the water, I headed to my favorite early spring spot. The water was 'Carolina Murky' or as most other places would call it: muddy, about 1.5 feet of visibility. I fished for 90 minutes in my favorite spot without a nibble. I headed to another spot I wanted to try and you could almost plow the water. At this point I decided to head up lake. It seemed every decent spot in the mid-lake area had a boat so I kept driving almost up to the 68 bridge. I fished about 30 minutes and missed a couple bites before I finally hooked up. Ended up being a very nice 4-10 at just a hair over 19".
    Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_1104.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	59833
    I continued fishing the area with no more bites so I headed across the lake to a steep bank. I got a nice bite and hooked up to a healthy 3-1

Name:	IMG_1105.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	59834
    Just 10 minutes later another good fish 3-4

Name:	IMG_1106.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	59835
    Just a few minutes after that yet another cookie-cutter 3-2 (I swear these are not the same fish)

Name:	IMG_1108.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	59836
    That was as happy as I have been on the water in some time. I applied my pattern in other areas nearby and managed one more bass. This fish was long and had the head of a 4 lb class fish but very thin. It appeared to have been wounded by a very large fish or a bird and only weighed 3-2.

Name:	IMG_1110.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	59837
    I got 2 more bites on the day but missed them both. I landed 5 fish on 9 bites and had a total of 17-3. It was a beautiful day on the water.

Tight lines,
    Andrew

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

nice work man! looks like you had an awesome day!
    Bleedingblue likes this.

Cali bred hawg hunter!!

Good job man!

Tapatalk - Galaxy S4
    Bleedingblue likes this.

Gene - Red X ​- Asheboro

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Awesome day on the water!
    Bleedingblue likes this.

Red X Angler
    There is always a way

I didn't include it in the story but here are some details for those considering heading out there.

Water temp on the lower end: 45-46
    Water temp on the upper end: 46-48
    Visibility was no more than 2 feet anywere I fished. This current round of miserable weather will not help either condition. Water temps are about 2-3 weeks behind based on last year.
    I got bit on a chatterbait, a Excalibur XR-50 one-knocker, and a swiming jig with a fluke trailer. I tried fishing a jig, shakey head, and a jerk bait but the wind was a bear.
    All bites were on main lake points, channel banks, or secondary points in pockets off the main lake with the boat in 7-15 FOW.
    Spider Crack likes this.

Tight lines,
    Andrew

Good job man. I was out there all day Friday (the 14th), and got two bites on a jig. Missed them both to keep the skunk alive. It was a windy day out there, I quit around 3:30 because the trolling motor battery died after running full blast most of the day to keep up with the wind. Another boat was loading up, and they said they got one bass total, about 5-6 lb, on a jig. Some other guy was pulling up and he said he got a couple 4-6 pounds, on a jig, and that was it. The conditions are quite goofy all around. Exactly this time last year I was getting a lot of big pre-spawn bass, on a spinnerbait or jig.

Nice job, Andrew. I was thinking about Randleman during the slow times while we were at Belews, and I wondered how you were doing. Glad you got in some fish, I can only imagine the water clarity is pretty dismal this week, so kudos for fighting the wind and the stain for what sounds like a very good day for quality!

Jay, I can't imagine how hard it was to fish on Friday, it was really blowing hard that day.
    Bleedingblue likes this.

- Sam
    "Things are only impossible until they're not!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Good job man. I was out there all day Friday (the 14th), and got two bites on a jig. Missed them both to keep the skunk alive. It was a windy day out there, I quit around 3:30 because the trolling motor battery died after running full blast most of the day to keep up with the wind. Another boat was loading up, and they said they got one bass total, about 5-6 lb, on a jig. Some other guy was pulling up and he said he got a couple 4-6 pounds, on a jig, and that was it. The conditions are quite goofy all around. Exactly this time last year I was getting a lot of big pre-spawn bass, on a spinnerbait or jig.
    Sorry to hear you didn't land a fish. That's pretty unusual for Randleman. I think a jig or plastic would fish very well right now and in an ideal world I would have liked to fish my moving lures down the more sparse cover and pick apart the heavier cover with a jig. The problem was the wind. I couldn't stay off the button for more than about 10 seconds from about 11:00 till I left, not to mention the 5-foot belly in your line. Sounds like Friday was even worse.
    Tight lines,
    Andrew

Thanks for the Blog Award, I really appreciate it. I guess you could say that this trip eliminated two skunks because I've never gotten the award before.
    Tight lines,
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Bleedingblue View Post
    Sorry to hear you didn't land a fish. That's pretty unusual for Randleman. I think a jig or plastic would fish very well right now and in an ideal world I would have liked to fish my moving lures down the more sparse cover and pick apart the heavier cover with a jig. The problem was the wind. I couldn't stay off the button for more than about 10 seconds from about 11:00 till I left, not to mention the 5-foot belly in your line. Sounds like Friday was even worse.
    Yeah getting skunked at Randleman makes you question your abilities, but it sounded like it was a very tough day for everyone that day (one fish for one guy, two for another) - I had two bites and I just didn't get the job done. I think I set the hook too quick on them, as the trailer craw was about ripped off the hook each time. I should have let them take the jig.

Anyway, yes Sam and Andrew the wind was bad. It didn't start that way, though. I wanted to fish points but I couldn't stay on the main points because of the winds. The wind was out of the south, which blew straight up the main lake. It was doable in most of the sheltered side pockets/coves, which is what kept me motivated. After a while I decided to go from the main lake down to the Muddy Creek arm, straight into the wind until I turned up Muddy Creek, and I'll tell you it was rough. Its just my little aluminum non-bass boat with a small motor, and I was taking a pounding even in that. The bolts holding down my depthsounder stand were coming loose so I stopped, removed the unit from the stand, and kept on going. When I got to my area, the battery died shortly after and so I gave it up and went back to call it a day. I have yet to get that stand bolted back on there tight again as I was out of town all weekend while you were enjoying your better day on Randleman!
    Bleedingblue likes this.

Nice job. I am going Sunday if it kills me. I am gonna get me a pig or three at HPCL!!!!!!!!!!
    Bleedingblue likes this.

14. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements