Ask Dr. H - Page 8
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask Dr. H

Quote Originally Posted by RouseD View Post
    Dr H, how would the unlucky number 13 apply to fishing?
    Dear RouseD,

An excellent question as fishermen are notoriously superstitious. People bringing banana's on boats have been left on oyster bars with the forbidden fruit. Raymond Van Dam Wells wore the same hat fishing for years and never washed it. He finally changed to a new one when competing fishermen could puppy-dog him by smell. NCPierman has a full brim camo hat that has been enhanced with so much Finger Mullet slime that he can dip it in Bear Creek and create a chum slick. Manufacturers stay away from the number 13. Ever notice you can buy 12 or 14 pound test line? Boats run 12, 14, 15 feet in length (except for the Boston Whaler, who has a 13 foot model but they're from Massachusetts where everything is screwed up). Get caught with a 13" flounder and you will have very bad luck. People with size 13 feet are incapable of catching fish. It goes on and on....

Dr. H

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Lucky Doug, NCPIERMAN, and RouseD like this.

H2ohhh, Dr. H, Judge H...what the H? Nucanoe Frontier 12.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Dr. H,

This is my sixth year in college, all due to fishing related absences. What do i do?

Quote Originally Posted by trigger22 View Post
    In other words Jimmy, what Dr H is trying to tell you is that there isn't a way to make a government employee work faster
    This explains why he has so much free time to answer all these questions

-James Peavy-

Using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ecufisherman View Post
    Dr. H,

This is my sixth year in college, all due to fishing related absences. What do i do?
    Dear Pirate,

Immediately change your major to Ichthyology with a minor in Oceanographic Mapping. You will then get credits for 'Field Work'. But don't rush it. You don't realize it now but college is some of the best years of your life.

Dr. H

Quote Originally Posted by fuquay fisherman View Post
    Dr H.
    I am in a waiting room for the department of public health vital records division. How do I make these government employees hurry up so I can enjoy what is left of my day by going to the lake?

-James Peavy-
    Dear Mr. Peeve me,

Thought I forgot about you didn't you? Several hours have passed and you may likely STILL be in the Vital Records office. The records are vital to them but your fishing desire is not. I can tell you how to speed up this process but unfortunately my 'workday' is now over. Of course, I had the day off from my government job. Friday too! Anyway, please return with your question during normal working hours tomorrow.

Dr. H

Dr. H.,

How do you get uppity, effete, and arrogant coworkers that don't fish to become ashamed that they are so, without explicitly telling them? They like nuance, so lets give them nuance.

Jay
    NCPIERMAN, and RouseD like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Solo Skiff Fisherman View Post
    Dr H
    Why did the chicken cross the road.
    I dream of a day when a chicken's motives will not be questioned....

All men are equal before fish - Herbert Hoover
    Red X Angler

Quote Originally Posted by SnowCamp View Post
    I dream of a day when a chicken's motives will not be questioned....
    I still like the Texas answer best - to show the armadillo that it can be done...

-Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Dr. H.,

How do you get uppity, effete, and arrogant coworkers that don't fish to become ashamed that they are so, without explicitly telling them? They like nuance, so lets give them nuance.

Jay
    Dear Jay,

I don't do nuance well. A lizard fish is a lizard fish. I can't call it an 'odd, interesting creature'. It's an ugly toothy S.O.B.

There are methods for telling coworkers (Situation, Behavior, Impact) that won't offend them if you feel its necessary. Shaming them, even as gently as possible, does no good. If you supervise them it is your responsibility to coach them and grow them professionally, but if they are equal in rank ignore their faults and utilize their strengths. We all have some of each. A Redfish doesn't jump but its still awesome. Even the lowly lizard fish can save you from a skunk. That said, you meet very few idiots fishing. Its our great escape from all that work garbage.

Dr. H

Quote Originally Posted by h2ohhh View Post
    Dear Jay,

I don't do nuance well. A lizard fish is a lizard fish. I can't call it an 'odd, interesting creature'. It's an ugly toothy S.O.B.

There are methods for telling coworkers (Situation, Behavior, Impact) that won't offend them if you feel its necessary. Shaming them, even as gently as possible, does no good. If you supervise them it is your responsibility to coach them and grow them professionally, but if they are equal in rank ignore their faults and utilize their strengths. We all have some of each. A Redfish doesn't jump but its still awesome. Even the lowly lizard fish can save you from a skunk. That said, you meet very few idiots fishing. Its our great escape from all that work garbage.

Dr. H

​it has saved the wise one many of times he is the king of lizards

red x angler and tarheelflyflinger for life -red drum its not an obssesion but a passion

Dear Jay,

Dr. H

Ok I guess it helps knowing these people can be compared to lizardfish, lol

Dear Dr. H,

What came first, the Chicken or the egg?

Dr. H

RouseD likes this.

Blog Entries

Dear Dr. H,

What came first, the Chicken or the egg?

Dr. H

If Dr. H starts talking back to himself, we might have to send him to see Dr. Saltwater because he will have completely lost his sanity.

I received this request recently via fax machine from Key West, Fla.

Dear Dr. H,

Being an author of some note and with a penchant for providing poetic and prophetic advise to those in need I decided to pen an advice column on Sportfishing, Malt Beverage Manufacturing and Consumption, Masterpiece novel composition and anything else which comes to a readers mind. Ironically I called it 'Ask Dr. H' just as you have! Upon initial issuance and discourse on these and other subjects I received numerous inquiries which, frankly, stirred my creative juices thus resulting in journalistic self-fulfillment both mentally and through the responding word.

Not long thereafter the popularity of the column ground to an inexorable and unexplainable halt. Would you be so kind as to present a strategy to resurrect it's popularity?

Sincerely,

Ernest Hemingway (aka Dr. H)

Dear Son that also Rises,

The original Dr. H utilizes an admittedly questionable technique in which he fabricates letters from famous people and then posts them as genuine. Being an Old Man (who loves) the Sea and recognizing that it is better to Have than Have Not, this method has served him well. Try it sometime.

PS. Utilizing the pen name Dr. H is a copyright infringement. My attorney, Payne and Fears, LLC. is forwarding you a cease and desist letter today.

Dr. H
    RouseD likes this.

Dr H.

How old is in fact "too old"?

Tapatalk - Galaxy S4
    Gene - Red X ​- Asheboro

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast