Ask Dr. H - Page 9
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask Dr. H

Quote Originally Posted by h2ohhh View Post
    I received this request recently via fax machine from Key West, Fla.

Dear Dr. H,

Being an author of some note and with a penchant for providing poetic and prophetic advise to those in need I decided to pen an advice column on Sportfishing, Malt Beverage Manufacturing and Consumption, Masterpiece novel composition and anything else which comes to a readers mind. Ironically I called it 'Ask Dr. H' just as you have! Upon initial issuance and discourse on these and other subjects I received numerous inquiries which, frankly, stirred my creative juices thus resulting in journalistic self-fulfillment both mentally and through the responding word.

Not long thereafter the popularity of the column ground to an inexorable and unexplainable halt. Would you be so kind as to present a strategy to resurrect it's popularity?

Sincerely,

Ernest Hemingway (aka Dr. H)

Dear Son that also Rises,

The original Dr. H utilizes an admittedly questionable technique in which he fabricates letters from famous people and then posts them as genuine. Being an Old Man (who loves) the Sea and recognizing that it is better to Have than Have Not, this method has served him well. Try it sometime.

PS. Utilizing the pen name Dr. H is a copyright infringement. My attorney, Payne and Fears, LLC. is forwarding you a cease and desist letter today.

Dr. H
    Nice try but I think a letter from Papa, or For Whom the Word Count Tolls, wouldn't be so verbose...lol
    h2ohhh, and RouseD like this.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Dr H,

If your lawyer is able to win you an award, I can refer you to an accounting firm (Dewey, Cheatum and Howe). You never rose to the bait responded to an earlier comment, but I guess it wasn't phrased as a question. You always seem so prepared. What can you tell us about your preparation, H?

-Andy

Re: Hemingway reference.... what I think is an amusing aside.

There's a series of books penned by Harry Turtledove (American Empire is the series). It's in a genre known as alternate History... You take a certain historical event, and change it, then write about what would happen if that occurred. He got about 12 books in this series, starting when the Confederacy won it's independence, and ending with WWII being fought as much in America as in Europe. In the series, you run into historical characters in minor different roles.... One of them was Hemingway. In the series, Hemingway was shot in the privates during WWI when he severed as a medic on the Virginia front.... Think of Hemingway, arguably one of the most macho writers, without his Wilkes County oysters for a funny thought....

After all is said and done.... A heck of a lot more will be said than done
    Red X Angler
    "Sublime" - 2013 NuCanoe Frontier in lime green

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Nice try but I think a letter from Papa, or For Whom the Word Count Tolls, wouldn't be so verbose...lol
    Well stated Jay. Being a fishing forum, perhaps For Whom the Word Count TROLLS would have been more appropriate.
    Fish_Fiend, Jay, and RouseD like this.

H2ohhh, Dr. H, Judge H...what the H? Nucanoe Frontier 12.

Well stated Jay. Being a fishing forum, perhaps For Whom the Word Count TROLLS would have been more appropriate.
    I hear ya, I am a rookie at these forum posts. That is why we ask Dr. H. and not Dr. Jay for words of wisdom on NC Angler, lol
    h2ohhh, MOFISH, and RouseD like this.

Quote Originally Posted by OptiMystic View Post
    Dr H,

If your lawyer is able to win you an award, I can refer you to an accounting firm (Dewey, Cheatum and Howe). You never rose to the bait responded to an earlier comment, but I guess it wasn't phrased as a question. You always seem so prepared. What can you tell us about your preparation, H?
    Dear Optimystical,

I've always wondered how to get that line through the text. I still don't know. Relative to my Preparation, H...thank you for the reminder. I have to stop by the CVS on the way home.

Dr. H

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    I hear ya, I am a rookie at these forum posts. That is why we ask Dr. H. and not Dr. Jay for words of wisdom on NC Angler, lol
    Jay, you're Join Date indicates that you are no rookie. Post on!!
    MOFISH, and RouseD like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish_Fiend View Post
    Dr H.

How old is in fact "too old"?

Tapatalk - Galaxy S4
    Dear Mr. Fiend,

Infact Toold was born in 1956. He has never forgiven his parents for naming him this. His father, RouseD of this forum, was 76 when Infact was conceived.

Dr. H

Dear Optimystical,

I've always wondered how to get that line through the text. I still don't know. Relative to my Preparation, H...thank you for the reminder. I have to stop by the CVS on the way home.

Dr. H
    You have to press the dash/hyphen at exactly the same time as the letter you want the line through. For an old far+ elder statesman like yourself, it may take thousands of a few tries to get your timing right, so set aside several days a little time to learn this new skill...
    h2ohhh, Lucky Doug, MOFISH, and RouseD like this.

-Andy

Quote Originally Posted by OptiMystic View Post
    You have to press the dash/hyphen at exactly the same time as the letter you want the line through. For an old far+ elder statesman like yourself, it may take thousands of a few tries to get your timing right, so set aside several days a little time to learn this new skill...
    Dr. H.
    Pretty sure that's an OptiMythical means of accomplishing a strikethrough. How many times did you try?
    MOFISH, and RouseD like this.

All men are equal before fish - Herbert Hoover
    Red X Angler

Quote Originally Posted by SnowCamp View Post
    Dr. H.
    Pretty sure that's an OptiMythical means of accomplishing a strikethrough. How many times did you try?
    Dear Snow,

The answer is zero. It is much easier to ask some technologically savvy young whippersnapper how it is accomplished than to spend any of the rapidly diminishing time I have left on this earth trying to figure it out. I prefer to spend my time trying to figure out how to get that big smallie I just spooked with my canoe on the Uwharrie to strike. Optimanical could possibly learn a thing or two from me on those type issues. In this manner we can survive and learn harmoniously.

Dr. H

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    MOFISH, quest4reds, and RouseD like this.

I am afraid I no longer snap my whip with quite as much enthusiasm as I did before I turned the double nickel (the new 40, right?) but I am still quite tech savvy. If my earlier suggestion did not work, your computer is badly out of tune. But there is a simple solution. Open a program and data file of some importance; at this time TurboTax and your 2013 return are good candidates. Make a few random changes and then reboot without saving. Sometimes you have to repeat this step several times before you achieve the desired result (remind me again exactly what that was).

Oh yes, I forgot - this is your thread and I need to ask a question. What was my point? I really can't remember...
    h2ohhh, MOFISH, and RouseD like this.

-Andy

Very interesting but on mobile device it is not an option ? <{
    RED X ANGLER

H,

On the off chance you really do need advice on that, I would understand if someone already of advanced age felt they never needed to click a button that says "Go Advanced". Besides, it might cause a confusing array of buttons to appear across the top of the post entry box offering all sorts of additional ways to make text incomprehensible.
    h2ohhh, Lucky Doug, and RouseD like this.

-Andy

Dr H, when would a person know they ARE old? A friend of mine asked his grandmother that, and she told him that only people who were 5 years older than she were old. That answer was a little fuzzy to me, so I decided to ask Dr H.
    Lucky Doug likes this.

RED X ANGLER

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast