NC Angler Forums banner

Dark Side, Here I Come....

6K views 57 replies 23 participants last post by  wademaster 
#1 ·
This is going to be short and sweet. I'm entering into the world of fly fishing tomorrow via Richard at Carolina Mtn. Sports. I'll likely never be the same. Life will be different from now on out. I'll post my progress/fish if any as they are encountered.

#43 ·
I missed at least 20 hits due to my not holding the line tight enough to set the hook quickly.

My casting hand's thumb is sore from keeping it on top of the rod and involuntarily squeezing the grip too hard.

I lost the foam bug pictured.
Sent from my kayak...
Yep, sounds like fly fishing to me. All that was missing was the amount of trees you usually catch on your back cast. You must have been in a nice open area. I'm glad you're having success so soon.

#55 ·
I've had Orvis, Korkers, Cabela's and Chotas, My Simms Guide Boots beats all of them hands down. No comparison. They are lighter, drain water faster and are more comfortable. Of course they cost more but they are also supposed to last longer. My Cabela's and Orvis boots lasted barely 2 seasons. I do wade fish quite a bit though. Over 50 times a year. I still say a good boot should last 200 wading trips at least. I could still wear my Chotas but the inside soles are gone and the outsides have pealed really bad. The laces on the Chotas died in less than two years but that seems to be the norm with most wading boots now days.

#57 ·
I was going to start fly fishing since one of the gifts I could choose for a 25 year with a company was a fly rod. So I get official catalog and fly rod has been removed. All the rest of the stuff is useless so going to get the LG 47 inch TV and sell it and maybe buy a fly rod :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.