NC Angler Forums banner

Dark Side, Here I Come....

6K views 57 replies 23 participants last post by  wademaster 
#1 ·
This is going to be short and sweet. I'm entering into the world of fly fishing tomorrow via Richard at Carolina Mtn. Sports. I'll likely never be the same. Life will be different from now on out. I'll post my progress/fish if any as they are encountered.

#6 ·
With my overall "run it into the ground" and addictive mindset I almost worry that I'll be broke within months of beginning this endeavor. I'm psyched up and can't wait to get this show on the road. Although I may need to get some type of nerve medication for all the screw-ups that I know are going to take place. Got to walk before I run though.

#8 ·
worry that I'll be broke within months ... some type of nerve medication
Not to worry...there is a bank just two doors up...and a a wine and beer store right next door. I'll buy the first round and introduce you to the loan officer. Based on our conversation...I can tell you are interested in either the Lexus or Mercedes fly fishing combo. I'll also measure you for the custom tailored fly fishing vest (with padded Glock pocket) ; the stunning Stetson fishing hat; and the custom crafted chest waders, made in the USA, with relief zipper. A silk ascot for sun protection around the neck and a sterling silver pocket flask for your single malt scotch...and you'll blend right in with the other guys on the DH section of the Mitchell. And, you'll have money left over for a casting lesson and a six pack of Rolaids! Come on down!

#9 ·
I'll post my progress/fish if any as they are encountered.
fish and progress are never to be seen..some may be caught but mostly you get the joys of added expense..the mental anguish of realizing your one fly outfit costs as much as a rack full of nice spinning and casting outfits...and flytying.! tying will draw you right into the straightjacket..
BUT other than that its a hoot! LOLOL welcome to the dark side, its cozy here!

#12 ·
Hmmm....I sense a market niche... Take your standard Fishpond Gore Range Tech vest; remove your large fly box from one of the vertical pockets (left or right for cross draw or strong side draw); and line it with what looks strangely enough like the fleece pouch from a bottle of Crown Royal... I'll order the vest; you provide the "pouch" and leave the bottle in the store!

#20 ·
For me, casting, jigging, pitchin', flippin', and trolling did the 'taking care of'.
I have been known to fly fish, but I have trouble catching the flies first.

Just remember to pause on the backcast and you'll be fine.

Good luck and enjoy - when I do it I do.

Plus Fishin'
RW

Reactions: wademaster
#18 ·
^^^This.

If you want to see a group of wild, young, unpretentious fly anglers, check out the web magazine Southern Culture on the Fly. The face of fly fishing is changing (for the better, I think).

[Disclaimer: I don't condone all the antics represented on that site, but I think it's a good example of the broader spectrum of folks which fly fishing has become popular among, and that's the "better" to which I was referring.]

#28 ·
Congrats and Welcome to FlyFishing!!

I am NOT totally hooked yet, but Richard and I have texted about a "F/W Appropriate Flyrod" for the NC areas I now frequest, and I think in my next trip to CLT or Burlington....I will swing by Richard's shop a grab something lighter weight than my Nautilus 8 WT and 9 WT St. Croix.....which I rarely use down here!!!
Good Luck.....and let us know your progress!!!
John

#35 ·
Well I am in Raleigh but have the Salt bug at the moment. I also have a 6 wt for fresh water, normally trout was my target but have tried for bass a few times but nothing of any size. PM me in the future and we will head out on yaks for some fly only local yak trips. Will help me focus and leave the spinners at home :D.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.