NC Angler Forums banner

Nantahala Lake Interactive stream channel map (Google Maps)....

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Fishinmagician88 
#1 ·
See less See more
#4 ·
Tech and tips....

At the bottom of the panel on the left of the linked map is a "Base Map" selection. If you want to print this, the other background Base Maps may be better. I used the Topo/Terrain because they are generally more accurate.

Concerning accuracy, it seems every data source is different.

rgarbar, the channels are a kml file, and it will open directly in Google Earth and Google Earth Mobile, so it can be taken with you if you have a smart phone. I have attached a zipped file of the .kml used to create and define the channels. It will open in Goggle Earth if you have it loaded on your PC or Smart phone. Just download it, unzip it, and click on it and it will open if Google Earth is on your device.

BTW, your posts concerning the Kokanee are why I selected this lake. Thank you for your participation in the Forums.

Fishscalz

Attachments

#7 ·
lixir88.

We're all learning, but in my opinion the channels left by flowing water create paths fish generally use when in deep water, and sometimes in shallow water as well.

Especially when dealing with steep, deep, clear water lakes, the fish will relate to the channels or channel edges. They may be 60' or 100' or whatever above the bottom, or to one side, but they will still be associated with the channels most of the time.

A good map is useful to create a game plan. This time of year for Trout I would try the headwaters first, because it's easier to fish shallow as opposed to deep. The headwaters bring in the bulk of the nutrients, cooler well oxygenated water, and carry the food, and provide a bit of forgiveness by providing a bit of water color compared to the main lake which can hide some sloppiness in presenting your bait or lures.

I would do this early and late in the day, and if this did not work, I would go deep then, using the channels as my guide. Deep water fishing is a lot like work, to me, but sometimes it is the only thing that works, so I do it if it is needed to catch fish.

Fishscalz

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.