Introducing Lefty - novice angler

Thread: Introducing Lefty - novice angler

Default Introducing Lefty - novice angler

Howdy all -- this looks like a great site.

I'm very much a novice at this fishing thing. Drowned a few worms as a kid but that was about it. Some guys from Church set up a weekend fishing the surf at Cape Hatteras each year, and this year it's finally starting to grow on me. I landed a Red Drum right at 18", if my finger spread is close enough to accurate. (Threw him back anyway -- don't have anything to do with a keeper, even if he was within the slot.)

First thing I'm trying to figure out is how to keep this hobby alive. Can't afford to spend a weekend every month at Hatteras -- it's over a 4 hour drive from Cary. Can't afford to buy a boat to hunt for bass. I've enjoyed my saltwater experience, but I don't figure I've given freshwater a fair shake -- but I'm not sure where to start.

On top of that, the cooler weather is coming up pretty quick. Did I pick the wrong time of year to spark some interest?

All I've got gear-wise is a fairly light (by Hatteras standards) spinning combo (rated to throw 3 oz). I'm hoping to be able to incrementally build around that as a foundation -- I doubt I can afford a new rod for each new outing...

So I guess the first question is... is this a decent subject for this forum?

Thanx
    Spider Crack, and wademaster like this.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Blog Entries

Default Re: Introducing Lefty - novice angler

Hi Lefty. Welcome to the site! I think anytime is a good time to get interested in fishing. You've got some of the best fishing of the year now into December on the coast if you can make it down there. And you've got all winter to research and connect with other NC anglers to get up to speed and ready to hit it next Spring. And there is at least one striper fishing group that fishes Lake Jordan that you might check into. I'm sure some of the other guys will weigh in with some advise but I just wanted to say hello and welcome!

Randy

lefty--- Welcome to the site. I think you came to the right place. Although. Cape Hatteras is rated tops, there are other places in NC that offer excellent surf fishing this time of the year and not as crowed. Just pick one of our beaches and go there. As for equipement, there is no limit as to how high or low you can go. An old buddy of mine on the west side of the Pamlico fished from a row boat, used a cane pole, cut bait with a float fishing for and catching speckled trout and puppy drum. I didn't want to use my Fenwicks and Penns around him. What some us old timers are finding out is that we over shot one one the best and fun modes of backwater fishing, kayak and canoe fishing and its fuel is cheap. There's a link on this site where can rent kayaks in Oriental to get a taste of it. I'm just an old salt water fishing junky. I'll let some of the fresh water guys jump in for that area.

Good Luck, Forrest

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Hey Lefty, Welcome to the site. In NC there are always fresh water opportunities. As long as the water is not covered with ice you can catch fish. Things do slow down considerably though and you have to change your approach and presentations. Think deep water, smaller lures / flies / or bait, and super slow retrieves. Personally the colder months of the year are my favorite times to fish. I enjoy the lack of other fishermen and the quietness during this time of the year. Be sure to dress warm and bring an extra bit of patience.

Lefty, welcome aboard. Fishing is really just what you turn it into. It can be just as fun with minimal equipment as with a tackle shop full to choose from. Trust me, I for one would know. One of the best ways to enjoy the winter time is by fishing farm ponds and smaller bodies of water with natural baits. This doesn't cost a fortune and the fish have fewer places to hide than those in a large body of water. If at some point you feel inclined to increase the challenge then you can either add artificial lures to your equipment or fish in larger bodies of water. You can make whatever you want to out of fishing. It can be an important part of your life or it can be just an occasional diversion. Now having said that some of us just don't know how to control ourselves when it comes to fishing. I honestly would live offshore if I could afford to. To me even the worst storms seem peaceful when compared to being onshore. Probably the most enjoyment I get from fishing is just observing and learning. The biggest thrill comes from hooking a fish that makes you wonder if there is enough line on your reel to hold him. If this ever happens to you watch out this can be the start of an unshakeable addiction. Stick around and read ask questions and pretty soon you might learn the meaning of addiction. AL

Greetings, neighbor,

Thanks for the reminder about this site ... what with football season I haven't had much time for fishing. Now that November is here and it looks like my team isn't going to the playoffs, I'll be heading to Dawson Creek and the area around Oriental.

As for local fishing, get up with me and we can get out to Jordan or Harris for some 'yak fishing (not to catch kayaks but to fish from them). You can rent them locally at REI.

Its good to have someone to share fishing lies ... I mean stories with.

Coach
    Today we get another trip around the circle.
    Let's make it better than the last.

Lefty,

Fish don't care what you paid. I have on old boat that has been worth every cent I spent ...$1500. You can easily get one for less if you learn and shop, shop and learn. However, with your one rod and no boat at all, you can enjoy some of this state's fine fishing opportunities right from shore. Heck, since labor day, I've caught big tarpon, black tip sharks, big catfish, alot of bluefish, some big slot limit puppy drum, and others right from shore! The same rod you use on the banks will work great for fighting big catfish. You can catch big catfish all year round..even on cold winter days. They will eat about anything, but I prefer to fish for them with white bread especially in winter (remove crust, fold into thirds, pinch one end and fold over pinching as you go, insert hook into hard center and fish with little or no weight... using the whole piece folded this way is enough weight to cast well provided the line is not too heavy..12 lb is good for most fishing situations), night crawlers, or cut bait, also chicken liver in little sacs made of panty hose is reportedly a good way to go. A buck's worth of fresh shrimp is good too. Small fish caught with a cane pole can be kept on ice, then frozen for cutbait later on. Supermarkets every day throw out fish excellent for cutbait. Speak to the butcher. Look on the web for North Carolina Public Fishing areas listed at NC Wildlife Resources Commission website. They are good places to catch fish being located behind dams and at other fishy locations. Get some simple topo maps showing the creek channels in your area lakes and find places where long casts can be made to the channel edge. This is a killer tactic for monster cats. You might even catch the next state record for under $100 total. Even if you don't break the record, you'll have a great time catching dinner. The screamin drags Sinkerman mentioned happen from shore too. You can do it!
    Andy
    Relay 4 Life
    May the sea lice of a thousand striper infest your fishbox!

Welcome, Lefty. Afraid I cant give you any advise on lake fishing or spinning rods im a fly fisherman myself. However I am also realitvy new to the sport as well and wanted you to know that you found a great spot. The people here are super nice and have helped me so much As far as cost of gear higher $ dosent always mean better. I got my first reel and line for $60. I saved up and went exspensive $200+ only to find that I liked my old setup better, lol. So enjoy what you have the gear dosent make the man.

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements