Nucanoe Frontier

Product: Nucanoe Frontier

Default Nucanoe Frontier

Product Manufacturer: Nucanoe
    It's not something that will appeal to the kayak purist.

But I have to say, I'm loving my NuCanoe Frontier.

I wanted to kayak fish for years... But my great size (I'm about 6'6" and 330), body structure (very top heavy, huge chest and belly), bad hip (replaced right one twice) and my poor balance kept me off the water. I had demoed half a dozen different kayaks (there really aren't that many more with 450+ lb weight limits), but only 2 of them provided me with the stability and upright seating position that I needed.... The Diablo Adios and the NuCanoe Frontier.

The Adios was a nice boat... I considered buying a used boat from a very respected member of this board, but the seat was too narrow.... My shoulders were about a foot wider than the supporting poles of the seat, and they dug into my back after a little while. That left me with one choice, which I selected.

Pros: Great capacity. 650lbs (about 375 before water comes in the scuppers, which I must keep plugged).
    Easy to modify - Gear tracks run the length of the kayak.
    Wide open - I can stretch or cross my legs, or kneel. Most normal sized people can stand.
    Single or tandem, same yak - If you're normal sized, you can bring along another person with you.
    Comfy seats - Native & Jackson owners can go on about their comfy seats.... I'm in a padded jon boat seat with my legs in a normal seating position. You don't get much more comfortable than that.
    Great tracking
    Insane stability... I'm not talking only for 5'3" gymasts. My 6'1" 15 year old can stand on the gunwales or the prow and not flip this boat
    IF you are a motorized kayak guy, this will accept a trolling motor or up to a 2.5HP gas engine without modification.
    Support - I can't say enough good things about NuCanoe's factory support. Way exceeded my expectations.

Cons - Speed... But not as bad as you might think. People who are experienced with wide kayaks (and this beast is 43" wide) expect slow. But the channelled hull means that not as much of the width is in contact with the water as you might think. I've had it over 4MPH on a sprint, and can keep it over 3 for an hour without much problem. Paddle it before you dismiss it.
    Paddle - You need a 275cm paddle. Relatively hard to find.
    Weight - This is the biggest problem with this kayak. Without a seat or seat base, it weighs 75 lbs. Add those in, and we're talking a 100 lb kayak. I car top it solo (90% of the time), and it's very possible with the use of a transom cart, to solo load it.

In short: If you're willing to accept a heavy kayak, which can keep up with other fishing kayaks (Slayer, Cuda, etc) but not the speedy ones (Manta Ray, etc), and you want good tracking, standing capability, stability beyond anything you've ever been on before, and great flexibility, try this puppy out. You just might get over your prejudices that have dismissed these over the years.

(I'm not affiliated with the company, just a happy customer)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_0840.JPG‎
Views:	3267
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	65476 Click image for larger version.

Name:	Photo Mar 23, 12 36 29 PM.jpg‎
Views:	546
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	65477 Click image for larger version.

Name:	Photo Mar 23, 12 36 18 PM.jpg‎
Views:	506
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	65478

After all is said and done.... A heck of a lot more will be said than done
    Red X Angler
    "Sublime" - 2013 NuCanoe Frontier in lime green

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Red X Angler
    Captains Club

Recommended: Yes
    I have one, I can't quite make the same long distance speeds as Len, but it is a great platform. You can really spread out the gear and move around in the seat. I feel like anyone with a degree of balance could fish standing as well as if they were on a pier.

Darrell

Red X Angler

I've had the Frontier 10 for about a year and a half now. Love it. I keep saying I'm gonna sell it and get something faster, but I can't bring myself to it.
    Click image for larger version.

Name:	BR.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	65556Click image for larger version.

Name:	LW.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	65557Click image for larger version.

Name:	Midnight Madness.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	65558
    biglenr, boredgunny, and GreyGhost like this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

One issue with the NuCanoe...Their only dealer in Eastern NC recently went out of business.

I can honestly say that I've had people stop me on the water, and back at the ramp, to ask me about my Kayak and how they can be bought. For example, I had two different people on Dawson's creek stare at me when I paddled past their properties, and both were waiting for me at the boat launch when I returned to the dock a couple of hours later to ask me questions about this yak. The biggest diasppointment is when I tell people that the nearest NC dealer is in Hickory.... While they're a great place, not many people in Oriental want to drive 5 hours each way to demo/buy a kayak. I

These things are absolutely perfect for sounds and marshes....

If you're connected to a dealer in Eastern NC and you want to sell a bunch of these, please go to the NuCanoe website and reach out to them.... I really think they're well suited to the trout/redfish/flounder group, and some crazier owners take them through the surf, but with only 2 scupper holes, I don't think that it's a particularly good use for this kayak.
    boredgunny, dbeam, GreyGhost, and Ichthus like this.

Red X Angler

Update... I have found that this is an incredible river boat as well.

It has a much shallower draft than most kayaks on the market, even with a 300lb guy in it. You go over rocks that other kayaks get stuck on. I've had it on the Yadkin and New River half a dozen times now, and I haven't come close to flipping it. That's not saying it won't happen one day... but it probably have already happened with me in another boat by now.

Remember... it is not fast... you're not going to be paddling upstream against really fast current. But it drafts great, turns fairly well, and is sturdy enough to bounce off rocks when needed.
    dbeam, GreyGhost, and kevcoachk like this.

Red X Angler

8. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements