Wanted: Citation Bluegill - Page 7
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: Citation Bluegill

Quote Originally Posted by Mack in N.C. View Post
    Maybe I missed it in another post but how are you catching these fish????? rigs, depth etc...tks mack
    wondering how Rt is catching them...
    I catch them in the summer in the Neuse and 1 creek off the neuse using bait on the bottom in 18-20 FOW. my bait rig is about a 1/2 oz bell sinker on bottom and 2-3 hooks above it on dropper loops. I use crickets or catalpa worms. Shellcrackers on 20 FOW is awesome but I would like to know setup. th naks Mack
    RouseD likes this.

Mowhawk pack , coleman scanoe, OT 158, 2 OT 119's,
    1232 Jon Boat, Wilderness Systems ATAK 140, Ascend 12T

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

yur rite about BigBluegill.com, some very informative info there. I've been chasin brim over 50 yrs and learn a lot from that board! I'm gonna try 1/50 an 1/100 oz jigs soon as they arrive! I found them in Cabela's Ice Fishing Catalog. I got one of the 7ft UL custom rods from the Ohio Rod Shop, its a #2 flyrod blank with spinnin rod componants. I've got 2lb test Nanofil spooled on a #1000 Shimano Stella reel on the rod. I've caught some 9 inch 'Gills on it usin a 1/32 jig head on a cricket. they fight like a 2 lber!
    NCStateFisher, and RouseD like this.

Quote Originally Posted by fishdoctor View Post
    yur rite about BigBluegill.com, some very informative info there. I've been chasin brim over 50 yrs and learn a lot from that board! I'm gonna try 1/50 an 1/100 oz jigs soon as they arrive! I found them in Cabela's Ice Fishing Catalog. I got one of the 7ft UL custom rods from the Ohio Rod Shop, its a #2 flyrod blank with spinnin rod componants. I've got 2lb test Nanofil spooled on a #1000 Shimano Stella reel on the rod. I've caught some 9 inch 'Gills on it usin a 1/32 jig head on a cricket. they fight like a 2 lber!
    For the sake of others who go browsing there, look at photos, especially Jeffrey Abney's. Lots of discussions are photo comment threads instead of being in the forum.
    -Andy

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Opti, who is the guy from Albermarle on BigBluegill .com. and others from NC
    RED X ANGLER

Blog Entries

Default Wanted: Citation Bluegill

Quote Originally Posted by RouseD View Post
    Opti, who is the guy from Albermarle on BigBluegill .com. and others from NC
    Jeffrey Abney

A 5,000 fish year might sound like a lot if you only fish 20-30 times a year, but if you're like me and fish 150-200 days a year it really isn't. Most days of pan fishing will yield 50 or more fish easy.
    dbeam, and RouseD like this.

The other nice thing about the tiny jig idea is I won't get bothered so much by those pesky LMB that keep slamming my tiny lipless cranks, which became my favorite for actively feeding fish when it is warm. A lot of guys keep fishing the tiny stuff all year though and keep catching large panfish.
    dbeam, and roostertail24 like this.

-Andy

I've got 2lb test Nanofil spooled on a #1000 Shimano Stella
    A stella on your ultralight? That's Awesome!
    dbeam likes this.

I just looked that up. Holy carp! They want reel money for that quality! Nice! Is the weekend here yet? I wanna go perch jerkin' and maybe hook a surprise big bluegill down in the depths.
    roostertail24, and RouseD like this.

-Andy

Here are some sweet jigs and this is a pretty good deal. But still over a buck a piece. http://www.ebay.com/itm/TUNGSTEN-ICE...item4ae28d4334
    OptiMystic, and RouseD like this.

Those do look nice. I bought a handful to try that were reasonable:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/191477267546

Not as nice as what you are looking at, but I am planning to tie and/or paint and use them as bases. Though I imagine a couple will hit the water in all their splendor (the glitter finish isn't terrible, just not as nice as the ones you are looking at). The same seller has 10 for $9 shipped but they aren't tear drop; they are off center spheres that look funky to me. EDIT - and I notice the seller also has some of the Russian ones with the funky through hole.
    -Andy

This:
    http://www.in-fisherman.com/panfish/panfish-hair-jigs/
    is exactly what I am planning to do much more of this year.

-Andy

Yall love to complicate some simple stuff. Sometimes I wonder if you really want to catch fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Drum Runner View Post
    Yall love to complicate some simple stuff. Sometimes I wonder if you really want to catch fish.
    Absolutely want to catch fish, often overcomplicate but enjoy it. Some of your fancy surf rigs blow my mind.
    roostertail24, and Swampin' like this.

-Andy

Red X Angler
    Captains Club

Aw come on DR it gives you something to plan for and ponder on when you not out on the water. sometimes the planning is a big part of the fun.

Darrell
    roostertail24, and RouseD like this.

Red X Angler

Quote Originally Posted by OptiMystic View Post
    Absolutely want to catch fish, often overcomplicate but enjoy it. Some of your fancy surf rigs blow my mind.
    Yea, but this is bluegill. Creek worm, cricket, and a cheap ol black gnat fly. You'll kill em.

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast