How I have spent the last 34 New Years Day
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How I have spent the last 34 New Years Day

Red X Angler
    Captains Club

Default How I have spent the last 34 New Years Day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtsfzbZfcXA

Please watch till the end so that you can hear the chant that goes with the tradition. Started in the early 1700's by German settlers that came to Penn. then moved south to settle in Western Mecklenburg County, Later to become Tryon County in 1768 (Now Lincoln, Gaston, Cleveland, Lincoln, Rutherford, and Cherokee SC counties)

From 12:00 AM till 6:30 PM New Years Day. 50 or more shots made (same houses every year, some for 5 or 6 generations or more). Better than 50 miles covered mostly in circle. Better than a 100 shooters and at time 3 or times that number of spectators. Rain or Shine in all conditions. Canceled in 1865 due to lack of powder and nosy Yankee troops at the rail head, and only 7 shots made New Years day 1945 because all powder was headed to the Pacific.

I hope you enjoy the video it was shot in 2000 more than a few that I had he pleasure of knowing have passed on since then.

By the way take a 2nd look at the kid with the camo hat and green jacket at 2:19 the pic was taken in 1981.

Thanks, and a Happy, Blessed New Year to all.

Darrell

The entire Chant https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuglyXMhmMg

Red X Angler

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Red X Angler
    Captains Club
    Kayak Angler

I never heard of this tradition and really enjoyed the video. Was that you at the 2:19 mark? Anymore info on this as I would like to do some reading on this to better understand the tradition. Thanks for posting this.
    Old Coot Red X Angler with a in my dreams only Bucket List
    2013 Hobie Pro Angler 12 & 14

http://www.cherryvilleshooters.com/
    Cant wait to shoot for the second time
    GreyGhost likes this.

Red X Angler - When we catch and release we don't want to eat it, we just want to make it late for something.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Red X Angler
    Captains Club

Ted New Years Shooting, Cherryville Shooters will bring up lots of stuff. The Mummurs in Philly derived their tradition from the same German Settlers. Originally it involved string and bras instruments along with the muskets. over the years the Philadelphia Mummurs stuck with the bands and parades around town and the southern Germans kept the Chant and Gunfire. Somewhere I read an account of George Washington First New Years in Philly " New President of our new Confederacy was rousted from his sleep last night at the first minutes of the New Year, Well wishes, blasts of horns, and gunfire had him out of his home to greet the revelers."

Some more links http://www.ourstate.com/cherryville-new-year/

http://www.cherryville.com/history/shooters/

http://www.germanculture.com.ua/libr...y/aa121999.htm

https://books.google.com/books?id=Hd...ooting&f=false

Darrell
    GreyGhost, and papadave like this.

Red X Angler

Awesome tradition Darrell. 1st time I have heard of this also. Let me know if your parents had pictures in the vid.
    GreyGhost likes this.

RED X ANGLER

Red X Angler
    Captains Club

No my folks didn't participate in the shooting, but the shooter stopped at my Great Grandpa's place for several generations before him. My Dad remembered it well.

Darrell
    GreyGhost, and RouseD like this.

Red X Angler

I had seen this on a documentary when I was a teen back in the early 80's.
    dbeam, and RouseD like this.

Red X angler

Cool video. Love the Braveheart sound track as well.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity." - Gladiator

growing up in TN , we (my moms brothers Pruett family, and my dad etc) always fired a gun at midnight for good luck and to drive away evil spirits. I never knew the whole tradition behind it or "the chant"... I still pop off a few rounds at midnight myself for the memory. Nice to know where it all comes from.

* Be responsible to the resource, not just obedient to the laws *
    RED X ANGLER* * MEMBER OF THE JON BOAT BASS CLUB OF NC * ARDENT REELS PROSTAFF REEL IT IN BAITS PRO STAFF 1st Tournament win 2/20/16 at Hyco lake 13lb 14.8oz 5 fish.

Used to shoot at midnight too. Be careful not to waste any .22....never know when you'll find more. Might ring in the year with my new G 30. It's probably cheaper, too.
    dbeam, RouseD, and sundrop like this.

Red X angler

I either use varmint shot in a pistol or #8 birdshot in the shotgun. Wouldn't want a stray bullet doing any harm.. I love the old black powder rifles they use!!
    dbeam, RouseD, and SnowCamp like this.

* Be responsible to the resource, not just obedient to the laws *
    RED X ANGLER* * MEMBER OF THE JON BOAT BASS CLUB OF NC * ARDENT REELS PROSTAFF REEL IT IN BAITS PRO STAFF 1st Tournament win 2/20/16 at Hyco lake 13lb 14.8oz 5 fish.

Wouldn't want a stray bullet doing any harm

Never shot into the air....our dad's would have lit us up for it

Red X angler

Just spent New Year's Eve in West Monroe, LA. Didn't hear any chanting, but thought there was a firefight going on about midnight. I've always worried about shooting guns in the air. Years ago there was a boy on a trike in his back yard in Chapel Hill killed by a guy firing a gun more than a half a mile away. They'd never have known if the guy hadn't come forward. We need to make sure there's a backstop for any bullet or shot shell before we fire...
    dbeam, GreyGhost, RouseD, and sundrop like this.

All men are equal before fish - Herbert Hoover
    Red X Angler

Red X Angler
    Captains Club

Just got in, we started at 9 am Wed getting ready for a New Years Eve supper at Mom's with some of our firends and neighbors. Then we shooting with a few local people for our neighbors and relatives that prefer a small crowd and like to go to bed before the morning hours. Finished up in Cherryville around 7 pm today what a great day not too cold to be comfortable all night, or too warm all day. An NO precip!

I will post some pics tomorrow not thinking of nothing but some sleep right now.

Darrell
    GreyGhost, RouseD, and sundrop like this.

Red X Angler

Fell asleep last night just after the news. About midnight, the new dog woke me up barking and shaking like a dog pooping peach seeds. Take off the cpap and I thought Black Mountain was re-enacting the '68 Tet Offensive. Guy up the road was putting his carbide cannon a workout. Wife didn't even know it happened
    dbeam, GreyGhost, RouseD, and sundrop like this.

Red X angler

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast