Musky? Yadkin River? - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Musky? Yadkin River?

Quote Originally Posted by gambusia View Post
    Do you think the Yadkin has good spawning habitat?

Even in the French Broad River, NC's best musky habitat, the population has to be maintained by stocking.
    I wondered that, too. The FB population can't effectively spawn because most of the right sort of tributaries have been artificially straightened/channelized.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

They do spawn in the FB, just not enough for a fishable population.

Apparently if stocking was ceased, musky numbers in the FB would eventually crash.

Somebody posted a report from the State on another thread that said a study showed a 95% mortality rate of Muskies in the New. Not so sure they'd fair any better in the Yadkin. The French Broad however has only a 56% mortality rate. Go figure.
    H2ohhh, Dr. H, Judge H...what the H? Nucanoe Frontier 12.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by gambusia View Post
    Do you think the Yadkin has good spawning habitat?

Even in the French Broad River, NC's best musky habitat, the population has to be maintained by stocking.
    NO....but let the muskies figure it out...I just figure that out of the 5-6 big tribs that they would spawn in one of em but it wont be enough to support the population...
    gambusia likes this.

Mowhawk pack , coleman scanoe, OT 158, 2 OT 119's,
    1232 Jon Boat, Wilderness Systems ATAK 140, Ascend 12T

Any speculation on why there aren't self supporting populations anywhere in .nc?

Water quality issues.....mostly siltation

Red X angler

Quote Originally Posted by Swampin' View Post
    Any speculation on why there aren't self supporting populations anywhere in .nc?
    Fontana Lake and Lake Rhodhiss have self supporting populations and there is some reproduction in the French Broad as stated above.

However NC will never have the musky populations you have in Wisconsin or Michigan.
    froggy waters, and Swampin' like this.

Are they in good numbers in those lakes? I had no idea they were self supporting. I'm dying to go after some one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Swampin' View Post
    Are they in good numbers in those lakes? I had no idea they were self supporting. I'm dying to go after some one day.
    Fontana- No

Rhodhiss- Yes

If your interested in boating a musky (and possibly a big one) Lake Rhodhiss would be the best place to focus imho.

There are some 40-50 inch musky in Rhodhiss for sure.

That said, if musky are stocked into the Yadkin, that would be the closest fishery to most people.
    Swampin' likes this.

Gambusia, according to the NCWRC 2005 Fisheries management plan for the Yadkin River, the Yadkin was stocked in 1981 at Yadkin, Wilkes, Richmond(Pee Dee) counties with Muskies, not Tiger Muskies. I believe however that TGs were stocked in Kerr Scott, but I'm not sure about this.

One of our very own claims to have seen one in the Yadkin last Winter, but he was largely ignored.

NC should consider increasing the size of their stocked specimens and evaluate the success Va has attained with their Musky program.
    gambusia likes this.

I remember reading that post. Really makes you wonder...

I've read they tried stocking Walleye in the Yadkin, also.

If VA can load the James up with them I don't see why NC can't at least get a fishable population going in the Yadkin.

Burke Lake in overpopulated Fairfax Co. VA has had musky for 50 years. If Burke Lake can have a musky fishery then Jordan could be another Cave Run.

Someone on here posted the results of a study on smallies and water temp and found they did fine in hot water. They only go deep in a lake to occupy the areas the more aggressive largemouth crowd them out of shallow.

I'd like to see NC start thinking outside the box when it comes to stocking. Musky and smallies would do well in the Piedmont lakes and rivers! Shoalies would be worth a go too in a couple of the local flows.

How in the world did anyone at NC think stocking spotted bass anywhere anytime was a good idea?!?!?!?

I follow my own Blog
    Man can build a lake, but only God can make a river

Mrpossumtail,

I saw an article and picture from the 1980s that showed a 17 pound musky caught out of the Yadkin. The article says it was a tiger musky and that they were stocked at one time.

So maybe the 'muskellunge' stocked into the Yadkin were actually hybrids?

Checked NWRC docs. It mentions specifically that tigers were stocked in Kerr Scott and muskies in the Y. This TM stocking was highly publicized and probably why the aforementioned article had it wrong. The Musky stocking in the Y was not publicized at all. I suppose it is possible for a tm wash out of the dam but I suspect the article was flat wrong.

Back in the 80s, I was a subscriber to all the the local publications and never once read about the Musky stockings in the Y. Did read about all the Tiger stockings however, this probably due to the fact they were mainly stocked in lakes.
    gambusia likes this.

Do you know how many musky were stocked into the Yadkin?

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast