A gorgeous day

Thread: A gorgeous day

Default A gorgeous day

After catching 80-100 menhaden we headed about 5 miles offshore and fished out to 10 miles. The water was as clear as it could have been and I bet you could see 35 feet or more down in the water.

We had a double hookup on AJs as soon as we dropped the first two menhaden over the boat and they wouldn't leave us alone the rest of the day. Live bait, Bucktails, jigs, and even a topdog Jr all made the AJs happy.

The one king was caught on a metal jig and he hit it on the way down.

We also caught several black sea bass with two being keepers, sharks of course and one keeper grunt.

We saw a 10 ft tiger shark and another really large shark that we think was a hammerhead. We also saw some flying fish and the water was 78.6 in the morning and crept up to 82 by the end of the day.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Blog Entries

Those AJ's in that size are a lot of fun. Congrats on a good day on the water.

PS, take a lesson from me that I learned the hard way and when playing in the ocean run the collar of your trolling motor all the way down in the event that it decides to come unstowed. I would also highly advise the use of a support arm. Don't ask me how I learned that lesson, my pride and bank account are still upset with me 3 years later...
    led0321, and Scott Hobbs like this.

Quote Originally Posted by trigger22 View Post

PS, take a lesson from me that I learned the hard way and when playing in the ocean run the collar of your trolling motor all the way down in the event that it decides to come unstowed. I would also highly advise the use of a support arm. Don't ask me how I learned that lesson, my pride and bank account are still upset with me 3 years later...
    Noted for sure!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cool shot of the shark! Looked like a top ten day out there!!

Quote Originally Posted by trigger22 View Post

Good advice. You don't have to be in the ocean for that to happen. I was up a choppy creek this past winter. TM popped out of the cradle, busted the shaft. messed up the gps. Good news they are guaranteed not to break. I told the shop owner exactly what happened. To my surprise he said it was still covered. I was very glad. A friend just put one on his boat and they have re engineered with a locking mechanism. IMHO not much better because he had to buy a different cradle just to deploy it. Looks like you guys had a great day fishing. Congrats

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by canoe View Post
    Good advice. You don't have to be in the ocean for that to happen. I was up a choppy creek this past winter. TM popped out of the cradle, busted the shaft. messed up the gps. Good news they are guaranteed not to break. I told the shop owner exactly what happened. To my surprise he said it was still covered. I was very glad. A friend just put one on his boat and they have re engineered with a locking mechanism. IMHO not much better because he had to buy a different cradle just to deploy it. Looks like you guys had a great day fishing. Congrats
    I wish I only busted the shaft on mine..... the head popped off due to the rough wake caused by my reaction to a much larger vessel not giving way when entering the inlet traffic scheme like he was supposed to. Instead he cut me off and I made a last minute effort to avoid collision and ran across the large wake he was throwing at wot. The motor came unstowed, the head popped off, wires connecting the head and the shaft got disconnected and the whole shaft/motor shot to the bottom of the inlet leaving me with a motor head and a bracket. Thankfully, I was already planning on replacing that motor in the near future anyways but happy about the situation I was not!
    Scott Hobbs likes this.

Nice report. Yesterday was truly a beautiful day for sure. We went to AR 330 and it was full of life as well.
    "What we do in life, echoes in eternity." - Gladiator

I can remember when AJs were considered trash fish

Quote Originally Posted by gambusia View Post
    I can remember when AJs were considered trash fish
    It wasn't our targeted species but we couldn't get them to leave us alone. I did some reading yesterday though that they are actually decent table fare if you cut the wormy part out. Next time I will keep one to see.
    Fish_Fiend likes this.

Video is done.

Looking for Kings and finding Amberjacks: https://youtu.be/SUBE9zgiuNk
    Scott Hobbs likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by led0321 View Post
    It wasn't our targeted species but we couldn't get them to leave us alone. I did some reading yesterday though that they are actually decent table fare if you cut the wormy part out. Next time I will keep one to see.
    I was wondering about the possibility of making AJ Kabobs out of one of those.

Gene - Red > < - Asheboro
    Scott Hobbs likes this.

Gene - Red X ​- Asheboro

Nicely done blog. Congrats on the award.
    Aka: Inshorefisher

congrats on the blog award, great day indeed. Shows you don't have to go 20 to 50 miles out to have a grand time.
    Friends, Fishing, Fellowship..RED X ANGLER

16. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements