Shark Attacks - Page 10
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910

Thread: Shark Attacks

This is from Wikipedia:

"Summer of the Shark" refers to the coverage of shark attacks by American news media in the summer of 2001. The sensationalist coverage of shark attacks began in early July following the Fourth of July weekend shark attack on 8-year-old Jessie Arbogast, and continued almost unabated—despite no evidence for an actual increase in attacks—until the September 11 terrorist attacks shifted the media's attention away from beaches. The Summer of the Shark has since been remembered as an example of tabloid television perpetuating a story with no real merit beyond its ability to draw ratings

I lived in Norfolk during that time, and my wife actually took care of this kid in the ICU at one point. Poor guy, Jessie was quite a story in itself. Some was reported accurately, some was not. However, after all the media hype that summer, it turned out there were fewer shark attacks than average during the "Summer of The Shark" as it was called (that actually really was a really common phrase in that area that year, I remember it to this day). I also remember the exact spot where I was standing when I heard about the plane hitting the first tower and then watching the second live on the news, and how everyone including me forgot about the sharks. Now we seem to want to forget those attacks, too... but anyway...

The girls on Oak Island have my prayers and my sympathy, as do all the people who have been bitten or attacked by animals, shark, human or otherwise. That being said, high profile shark attacks with photos and media coverage typically focus our attention on the subject and create observer bias. Most of the attacks reported in the Carolinas have been relatively minor, with several being treated at the scene with a bandaid. Other years they would not have even made the news.

There may be more shark activity than usual, time will bear that out; could be the presence of greater numbers of turtles compared to normal (another seasonal variation, and a popular prey of many shark species), maybe a little higher salinity (more theory than anything), and then add in two really dramatic shark bites at the beginning of summer and a lot more media hype and you have the "perfect (non) storm." Stats will only tell the true tale when it's all but a Bryan Adams song anymore. ("...after the boys of summer have gone..." for all you young'uns).

My sympathies and prayers to the ones injured as we humans foray into the wilderness and get attacked by the animals that live there. More people being attacked by the human animals in any major city than the ones in the water, but it doesn't make ratings anymore. Close the beaches? You going to curfew the cities, too?

Chicago alone:

2015 to date: Shot and wounded 1164, shot and killed 203.

http://homicides.suntimes.com/

I hope everyone stays safe; some of it's hype, but caution is a good idea.
    Brenardo, and grandpaa like this.

- Sam
    "Things are only impossible until they're not!"

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SurfRider View Post
    This is from Wikipedia:

I lived in Norfolk during that time, and my wife actually took care of this kid in the ICU at one point. Poor guy, Jessie was quite a story in itself. Some was reported accurately, some was not. However, after all the media hype that summer, it turned out there were fewer shark attacks than average during the "Summer of The Shark" as it was called (that actually really was a really common phrase in that area that year, I remember it to this day). I also remember the exact spot where I was standing when I heard about the plane hitting the first tower and then watching the second live on the news, and how everyone including me forgot about the sharks. Now we seem to want to forget those attacks, too... but anyway...

The girls on Oak Island have my prayers and my sympathy, as do all the people who have been bitten or attacked by animals, shark, human or otherwise. That being said, high profile shark attacks with photos and media coverage typically focus our attention on the subject and create observer bias. Most of the attacks reported in the Carolinas have been relatively minor, with several being treated at the scene with a bandaid. Other years they would not have even made the news.

There may be more shark activity than usual, time will bear that out; could be the presence of greater numbers of turtles compared to normal (another seasonal variation, and a popular prey of many shark species), maybe a little higher salinity (more theory than anything), and then add in two really dramatic shark bites at the beginning of summer and a lot more media hype and you have the "perfect (non) storm." Stats will only tell the true tale when it's all but a Bryan Adams song anymore. ("...after the boys of summer have gone..." for all you young'uns).

My sympathies and prayers to the ones injured as we humans foray into the wilderness and get attacked by the animals that live there. More people being attacked by the human animals in any major city than the ones in the water, but it doesn't make ratings anymore. Close the beaches? You going to curfew the cities, too?

Chicago alone:

2015 to date: Shot and wounded 1164, shot and killed 203.

http://homicides.suntimes.com/

I hope everyone stays safe; some of it's hype, but caution is a good idea.
    Shock TV not news.

Well anouther shark attack this time in greenvill arm & hand maybe side
    Faith and prayers are strongest things in life we have!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910