Labor Day on the New

Thread: Labor Day on the New

Default Labor Day on the New

Fortunately the weekend schedule changed at the last minute and Monday was looking like a "free day."

Called and set up a shuttle at 8 am Mon. morning and met them at 8:30. Me and the canoe and fishing gear were slipping thru shallow chutes and channels by 9:10. Water was low as it has been...dropped back down after a couple of slight spikes in the river level. Clarity was good....still some color and visibility was about 5-6 feet.

First fish on topwater on the flyrod by 9:30....then one on the spinning rod... It was off and on for the rest of the day. Catch a few on topwater bugs tossed on the 8 wt....then the action would slow. Then pick up a few on soft plastics on the spinning rod. Then back to topwater. Sometimes it was an isolated fish. Other times you'd pick up several in one area. No big fish this weekend...but fat, hard fighting fish that mostly ran 10-13 inches. Some of the areas that usually produce fish provided no action. But several other spots that have not produced fish this summer were holding fish eager to pounce on a floating "bug" on the surface. The two 8 wt fly rods certainly got a workout...casting and landing these aggressive, hungry smallies. Several times the fish missed the popper, or I missed the fish...but a quick cast back to the spot would usually result in another strike.

The river was deserted except for two guys in float tubes in front of their cabin...and two kayakers that came thru. Otherwise it was just 2 osprey, one eagle and lots of eager smallies. Weather was great with no wind. A good day to be floating on the river.

Richard
    CarolinaMountainSports.com
    Statesville, NC 704 871-1444

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I'm often asked where the fish were.... I meant to add that to the original post. And, as is often the case, they were in a wide variety of locations. I found them in a few inches of water next to the bank; in several feet of water in the middle; up under overhanging trees; in spots that looked too shallow to hold fish; in deep cuts in the rocks; up under ledges; in between grass beds; in shallow depressions mid-river; behind rocks that created a pool or eddy behind them...

Richard

There everywhere if you're looking! Any trout?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefly Fly'n View Post
    I'm often asked where the fish were.... I meant to add that to the original post. And, as is often the case, they were in a wide variety of locations. I found them in a few inches of water next to the bank; in several feet of water in the middle; up under overhanging trees; in spots that looked too shallow to hold fish; in deep cuts in the rocks; up under ledges; in between grass beds; in shallow depressions mid-river; behind rocks that created a pool or eddy behind them...
    So you mean they were in the water?

Gene - Red > < - Asheboro

Gene - Red X ​- Asheboro

Red X Angler
    Captains Club

Thanks Richard great report!

Darrell
    Red X Angler

There everywhere if you're looking! Any trout?
    Exactly. No trout for me on this stretch in quite a while...and I've not heard of others catching trout on this float this summer. But it has happened in the past.

So you mean they were in the water?
    Well sometimes they were in the air...

I mention that cause often folks continue to fish the shorelines...cast after cast after cast...and neglect other spots that may be productive. I sat thru a presentation several years ago and the advice given was to focus on the banks and cast as close as you could and then try to get even closer. If you consistently do that....I think you miss a lot of fish.
    dbeam, EvBlue, Fish_Fiend, and quest4reds like this.

Richard

Red X Angler
    Captains Club

Not claiming to know that much about moving waters or smallies, but I usually catch bigger fish behind structure away from the bank, unless there is a thick overhang of limbs or tall grass.

Darrell
    Chiefly Fly'n, and Fish_Fiend like this.

Red X Angler

My biggest smallies have all come from away from the bank.

Gene Red >X< Asheboro
    quest4reds likes this.

Gene - Red X ​- Asheboro

Quote Originally Posted by Fish_Fiend View Post
    My biggest smallies have all come from away from the bank.

Gene Red >X< Asheboro
    In deeper pools and pockets? I've caught plenty, but never any of decent size. Do you think they like to hang out in the current or in the eddies more?
    Matt (Red X Angler)~ 2013 Hewes Redfisher 18, 115HP Yamaha 4 stroke, Ice Blue

The biggest fish will ALWAYS live in the prime habitat, that perfect spot where they dont have to work to hard to stay there and there will always be egress and food. You will know these spots because you always...ALWAYS catch a good fish from that hole. I cant explain it very well, I would be able to show you on a river much better than I can tell you.

Gene - Red > < - Asheboro
    dbeam, EvBlue, mikeski, and quest4reds like this.

Gene - Red X ​- Asheboro

Invitation accepted.
    dbeam, Fish_Fiend, and mikeski like this.

Matt (Red X Angler)~ 2013 Hewes Redfisher 18, 115HP Yamaha 4 stroke, Ice Blue

Red X Angler
    Captains Club

Quote Originally Posted by quest4reds View Post
    Invitation accepted.
    Good Choice,

I can't believe I have been too slack to take Gene up on a chance to fish with him. Top of the to-do list though.

Darrell
    Fish_Fiend likes this.

Red X Angler

I know that at the New, (where I am headed Monday) I have always caught the bigger fish in pools near the numerous ledges near the middle of the river.
    dbeam likes this.

Why do you use a 8 weight as opposed to a 5 or 6? seems like a pretty heavy stick for the average size fish that are normally caught there. Thanks ncfish.

8 weight as opposed to a 5 or 6?
    Good question. It has to do with the size of the fly rather than the fish. The bigger and more wind-resistant the fly, the bigger and heavier the fly line needs to be to drag and carry the fly thru the air easily and efficiently. Add some breezy conditions and the heavier line is less influenced by the wind. Having fished for smallies with 5, 6, 7 and 8 wt outfits for a few years, I evolved into using the 8wt cause it is easier and more efficient for me to cast hour after hour...with bigger flies..and it's capable of longer casts when you want them.

Recently, by mistake, I wound up in the mountains with only 1 8wt outfit. (Fortunately, it was my favorite 8wt for smallies with a little more flex in the rod and tip...). To have a second fly rod, I took a 6wt outfit along. I loaded the 6 with a slightly smaller "bug" (less wind resistance) than the 8wt. And, although the 6 was capable of the casts that I wanted to make, the 8wt (with a much bigger "bug") did it so much more efficiently with a lot less effort...especially on roll casts and roll cast pickups and "continuous tension casts..."

For me, a 10-14" smallie gives a pretty good account of himself (herself?) on an 8wt... And, often enough... there are a few bigger fish that will really give an 8wt a workout...
    dbeam, and EvBlue like this.

Richard

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements