Finally a successful report for me! New PR too!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally a successful report for me! New PR too!

Default Finally a successful report for me! New PR too!

Sooooo......since we FINALLY had a break in the weather, I headed out this evening for an hour of catching (not fishing for a change) before dark. Was on the water at 615pm. Fished for about 30 minutes with no takers. Was throwing mr17 and a mirro top water I just bought. Was working the shoreline with the mr17 and noticed a huge swirl by my lure, twice....so I paused my retrieve.......then WHAM.......FISH ON!! After a 5-8 minute fight (i'm using a light action Pflueger president reel) I landed the first upper slot drum......24in! Nice!

Very next cast......about 30ft to the right of where I just caught the 24in.......WHAM! Fish on again! another 5 minute fight and on board comes a 25in drum! Both these on a mr17 mind you.....a lure that I've had for a while, but never really use as I have no confidence in it. My first fish with this was a couple weeks ago when I managed that fat trout with it. So my confidence is building with this lure! I was using it hoping to find some trout that might have started working their way into the rivers/creeks.

About 4 more casts after the 25in drum.....WHAM......Fish on again! This fish was heavy! Fighting like an over slot drum! Every time I get him close to the boat to try to see him.....the drag started screaming. BTW.......by this point, I had waved over a little Jon boat that was across the river from me. Was a guy with his whole family (wife and like 3 little kids). Told him to come over as I found some nice drum. So they were fishing about 25-30 yards from me when this 3rd fish hits. Anyways.......I finally get him to the surface.......and it's the biggest trout of my life! Finally got him in the net and on board.......24in, 4.4lb pig!!!

Was getting dark at this point, but I didn't want to give up.....so switched over to my new mirro top water lure (3 casts later)......WHAM! Fish on again! The smallest of the evening, a 23in drum (who thought he was like 30in the way he fought!)

The only bad part (and it's VERY BAD), was my pic of my personal best trout never turned out! Got back to the dock and the family in the Jon boat just loaded up and asked to see my fish....so I whipped out the phone and showed the drum, then another drum, then MY FREAKING FACE (the trout was cut out of the pic!!!!), then the third drum.......NOOOOOOO!!! I almost cried in front of them! I know, I know......pics or it didn't happen. They can vouch for me though! I promise! lol. At least the 3 drum came out. I need to invest in a go pro!!!

Anyways, looks like this weather has turned up the bite! Get out and get in on the action!! Good Fishing all!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_20150929_185127058_HDR.jpg‎
Views:	259
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	74538 Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_20150929_184619029_HDR.jpg‎
Views:	221
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	74540 Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_20150929_191119449.jpg‎
Views:	228
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	74541

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Nice work Danno!
    danno2301 likes this.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity." - Gladiator

Pretty spots on that first drum, and nice work on all the catches. That trout is a pig! I'm terrible at taking pictures, I just want to cast again and catch more fish. Recently got my first inshore slam and don't have a single picture to show for it.
    danno2301 likes this.

Matt ~ 15' 6" Gheenoe Classic, Olive Green
    Red X Angler

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Nice job buddy way to get it done. What region you fishing in?
    danno2301 likes this.

That's awesome. Any day where your SMALLEST red is 23 inches is a good day!
    danno2301, and rmhpmi like this.

- Sam
    "Things are only impossible until they're not!"

Very cool of you to call the other boat over.
    What color MR ? ....... ICM

My wife keeps saying I don't listen to her .... or something like that.

Thanks all. I fish new river Nick. ICM, I used the white body red head. Was throwing the 808 as well but with the water so stained figured they could see the white better. Guess so! Same color for the top water too. Broke in the new mirro lure the first day out!
    dtroutman, and Nickp like this.

Blog Entries

Nice work on a memorable afternoon I'm sure!
    danno2301 likes this.

Danno - great, well written report. Always great to see everything click for someone who has been at it for awhile. Definitely echo ICMs sentiments - most people would have tried to keep the fish to themselves. Says a **** of a lot about you that you called that other boat over.

Congrats on a great day on the water.
    danno2301 likes this.

Friends, Fishing, Fellowship..RED X ANGLER

I've had one day like that fly fishing for trout. Lost count. Hope I am blessed with another soon. Fish ON!

Congrats on the post award, well deserved sir.

Matt ~ 15' 6" Gheenoe Classic, Olive Green
    Red X Angler

Quote Originally Posted by quest4reds View Post
    Congrats on the post award, well deserved sir.
    Thanks! Didn't know it was worthy of that! Lol.

I forgot to mention the most important part! All fish successfully released to fight another day.... Even the pig trout!
    Birdman571, and quest4reds like this.

Great post and beautiful fish. Good job
    danno2301 likes this.

Howard Red X Angler
    If you are going through Hell, Keep going.

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast