MUCH needed Father/Son Fishing trip

Thread: MUCH needed Father/Son Fishing trip

Default MUCH needed Father/Son Fishing trip

A trip to the salt was sorely needed and I hadn't had the opportunity to fish with my dad but twice this year, something had to give!

Gave Dad a call Friday to see if he wanted to head down to Charleston to do some fishing Sunday. He jumped at the opportunity and I started getting my gear ready that day. I will say I am SO glad I made the investment to grab a sea striker pier cart, I can't imagine if I had carried everything around all day.

Surf setups:
    Penn fathom 25n - star stellar lite 10'
    Penn fathom 12 - star stellar lite 9'
    Daiwa Revros 3000 - star aerial steelhead 8'6

Left Anderson around 4am and was on the sand around 8am right as the tide started to receed. Went ahead and stopped the cart about 50 yards from the access where we parked to rig up the rods so until we could find a nice trough or hole to fish. Tied a stingsilver on for dad so he could start fishing and hopefully catch some blues for fresh red bait and he started working down the beach a little ways. I got everything rigged up and started to text him to head back down so we could head to the point at the south end of the island but I looked 50 yards down the beach and see him walking back with a good sized fish in his hand, great way to start the day with a 17" trout before a baited hook hit the water!

Headed down to the small jetty where he caught the trout but managed only a few blues on the bottom rig. After 45 minutes or so we started the long walk to the south end of the island, stopping at a couple promising spots along the way with nothing to show for it. When we got to the point I spotted a nice sand bar running perpendicular to the beach. At this point the water was running pretty good and water was pushing pretty hard across the top in to the deeper backside, perfect ambush spot for a predator. Tossed out a cob mullet head right on that edge and picked up my artificial rod, midway through the cast ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Game on boys! Circle hook did the job and after a great fight memories were made high 5s were had and smiles all around! 33" Red hit the sand. Snapped a few pics grabbed a measurement attempted the revive which was apparently offensive as the fish splashed the heck out of me and took off

After that things slowed until after low tide and the water started to come back in. During that period I caught 6 or 7 sea mullet (biggest 13") a lovely pinfish, and a VERY lost oyster toad. As the tide started coming in the blues got thick and you couldn't keep a big bait out at all. Caught several of the little blues and missed one good hit that very may well have been a smaller drum.

Had to get back on the road right as things were looking good, all in all had an awesome father/son fishing day that created a ton of memories. I've never been much of a surf fisherman but the time I've put in to researching and my gear has paid off. Sorry for the novel I don't think I've written a fishing report since May... Hopefully in about a month I'll have plenty of striper stories

Click image for larger version.

Name:	Folly2.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	74777Click image for larger version.

Name:	Folly1.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	74778Click image for larger version.

Name:	Folly3.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	74779

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Nice job saw the pics and as always a nice write up. We need to get a fall fishing trip going for down your way
    2020 LMB Total :130; largest 6# 5oz! Total over 4:14; lifetime largest 9.25
    2020 Crappie Total:75 biggest:1.5#

Nice work! I hit the sand this weekend and didn't have any luck on the reds but the blues kept me satisfied. Congrats on a good day with your pops!
    quest4reds likes this.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity." - Gladiator

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Great report! Glad to see you had a good day fishing with your dad. Nice work on the fish too. Congrats on the post award.
    zky1812 likes this.

Matt ~ 15' 6" Gheenoe Classic, Olive Green
    Red X Angler

Red X Angler
    Captains Club

I am so glad you got some time on the water, esp since you got in some time with your Dad! Great report and pics James, and congratulations on the blog award, a well earned reward.

Darrell
    Red X Angler

You got to have those days with dad. You probably wouldn't be doing this if it wasn't for him.
    Howard Red X Angler
    If you are going through Hell, Keep going.

That's very true Hank!! no telling what I'd be up to.

Thanks for the blog award and the kind words everybody, was a good warmup for a week in MHC in november
    dbeam likes this.

Red X Angler
    Captains Club

MHC in NOV that sounds like fun. I am going to be in Atlantic Beach next week.

Darrell
    NCStateFisher likes this.

Red X Angler

good deal Darrell give me a shout sometime this weekend and we'll go over some likely fishin holes
    dbeam likes this.

Red X Angler
    Captains Club

Will do. I will let you pick a time good for you. I will be up by 4:00 pm both days and will be up till 8:00 am

Thanks
    Darrell
    Red X Angler

im good any time either day except saturday after 7
    dbeam likes this.

Awesome fishing!!
    dbeam likes this.

Red X Angler
    There is always a way

15. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements