Non-Ethanol - What is your opinion? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Non-Ethanol - What is your opinion?

Red X Angler
    Captains Club

I have non-E gas close by so I use it in all the 2-strokes and the lawnmowers, it may help little or maybe even none but since it is close by I would feel dumb for not using it.

Darrell
    Red X Angler

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Island Man View Post
    What do you mean leave gas line open, the vent on the cap?
    yes. This way the main jet in the carb is always wet. I have not had any problems doing that even with the generator sitting for 8 months. (Yeah, I know I am the wrong end of a Mule for not starting it more often than that!)

Also, do not forget you need to run things to circulate the oil, be it two or four strokes.
    Island Man likes this.

I use ethanol in my 250 Yamaha HPDI. I havent seen any fuel related issues. I add Yamaha Ring Free in every couple tanks more to combat carbon build up than anything else. FWIW my fuel usually gets burned within a week or two of putting it in.
    4acres, and sundrop like this.

Take a Bass Boating!!!
    Life Jackets and Kill Switches save lives.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

There is a business opportunity that has sprung up out of all this. You have companies that are pumping fuel out of boats to extract the water and filter it before putting it back in the boat.

When you start talking about large fuel tanks on some of these center console boats, it aint real hard to wind up with 50 or more gallons of unwanted water in the tanks over time.

Some information on fuel tanks condensating.
    http://www.yachtsurvey.com/myth_of_c...fuel_tanks.htm
    sundrop likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 4acres View Post
    the boat will sit on my carport NOV, DEC, JAN, FEB without being used

So if I'm understanding correctly, it would be smarter to top off the fuel tank with 93 octane non-eth, disconnect the fuel line and plug it, run the engine until out of fuel, remove each plug from carb bowl to drain them. Let set until next season with no fuel in the carbs.
    Did I miss anything? Add additive or no? Or am I totally misunderstanding?
    Boats and their engines exist to be on the water. To keep them parked is to deny them their purpose in life. That's just cruel. I think what you're missing is your other alternative. Don't stop fishing! That grass doesn't grow much in the Winter so you won't need to mow those 4 acres, there are still fish to be caught! Make the engine happy, run it!

Click image for larger version.

Name:	01-18-13BelewsRamp Snow2.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	74982 < The ramp . The fish > Click image for larger version.

Name:	01-18-13SamBass2.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	74983 Click image for larger version.

Name:	01-21-13BelewsLMB2.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	74984 Click image for larger version.

Name:	Jim01-04-13a.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	74985 (January 2013)

Name:	02-8-13 Belews Bass 1.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	74986 < Feb 13 Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_1613.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	74987 <- Fish_Fiend, Nov '13 Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_1632.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	74988 < Bronchotwisterjim Nov '13

Name:	IMG_1780.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	74989 <- Jan '14 Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_1786.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	74990 < Feb '14 > Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_1799.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	74991

Name:	BC 11-30 Jerry&Sam1.jpg
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	74992 < Jerry Condrey and me Nov 30th, 2014 Click image for larger version.

Name:	RR Cam 11-8.jpg
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	74993 < Cameron (cjam93) Nov '14

Name:	Badin12.15fivelba.jpg
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	74994 <- Badin Dec 15, 2014 Click image for larger version.

Name:	BC1.25.15.8.jpg
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	74995 < Jerry Jan 2015

Sorry. Nostalgia overload. November through Feb ... gosh, I would hate to have missed all these moments!

- Sam
    "Things are only impossible until they're not!"

Jerry looks REAL COLD. Does he always have that frown? (I couldn't resist)
    Winter fishing, what a concept! If I bought some ski bibs, Gortex boots and... It might work.
    Please Don't block the ramp or the dock. My pontoon and crew cab require a wide berth.
    Dave, Teresa and Greg

Blog Entries

Thought I would throw a few winter pics in the mix...just to add to the discussion and wet the appetite!

Name:  lkn lm winter.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  2.9 KBName:  kelli striper.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  2.6 KBName:  tim trout bear lake.JPG
Views: 100
Size:  3.1 KBName:  wesley lkn bass.jpg
Size:  2.4 KB

Name:  LN_Spot.JPG
Views: 102
Size:  3.3 KBName:  wesley dock lm.jpg
Size:  2.0 KBName:  wylie lm.jpg
Size:  3.5 KBName:  winter norman pic1.jpg
Size:  3.1 KB

Name:  lkn spot winter.jpg
Size:  2.9 KBName:  fish 5.jpg
Size:  12.5 KB
    Red X Angler // Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that is not fish they are after - Thoreau

Non ethanol all the way. Working with outdoor power equipment almost daily(2 and 4 stroke) I have seen what it does to fuel lines and other plastic/rubber parts. The extra cost is worth it to keep from paying 75-85 dollars an hour to have our equipment or my boat worked on(not counting down time during the repair). Needless to say you still can't let it sit around for months at a time like gas from the good old days.

I don't trust the additives that claim they make ethanol gas safe, what's the science behind that? How does the ethanol magically disappear? I use non-ethanol and add a stabilizer. Maybe it's a waste of additional effort but I sleep better at night
    For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? (Matthew 16:26)

I think those additives coat the "innerds" of the fuel system with a micro film lessening the ability for the alcohols to attack things. I think they also can disrupt the water molecules enough for them to blend and burn out with the fuel. (layman's science, no solid info to prove any of this). I read that some also create a vapor barrier that fills the airspace and keeps condensation and saturation at a minimum.
    * Be responsible to the resource, not just obedient to the laws *
    RED X ANGLER* * MEMBER OF THE JON BOAT BASS CLUB OF NC * ARDENT REELS PROSTAFF REEL IT IN BAITS PRO STAFF 1st Tournament win 2/20/16 at Hyco lake 13lb 14.8oz 5 fish.

Red X Angler
    Captains Club

The saddest thing in this thread is the fact that we as a people, should be subjected to Ethanol, when there is no gain from it, even if it did not have such horrible side effects.

Darrell
    Red X Angler

Great thread! I never even thought about non ethanol use in my small engine stuff. Considering the low fuel usage in my riding mower, pressure washer etc. it appears to be a no brainer. I assumed modern equipment would be designed to process that junky gas. Maybe not is what I'm reading. That said I own a '56 Chevy with the original 265 V8 still in it that gets not only just non ethanol, but non-ethanol premium. Lead additive too. I'll start running the non ethanol in my small stuff too after reading all this.
    H2ohhh, Dr. H, Judge H...what the H? Nucanoe Frontier 12.

many of the additives that were placed in gasoline during production have been removed either by the EPA to lower emissions or by the suppliers to lower overall cost. Even supply storage has been lessened because of the lack of long term stability of todays fuels. Diesel is also effected by changes like ultra low sulfur content , soot reducers etc and old diesels don't handle it well either.
    * Be responsible to the resource, not just obedient to the laws *
    RED X ANGLER* * MEMBER OF THE JON BOAT BASS CLUB OF NC * ARDENT REELS PROSTAFF REEL IT IN BAITS PRO STAFF 1st Tournament win 2/20/16 at Hyco lake 13lb 14.8oz 5 fish.

I didn't read all 27 comments but I can say this:

I have relatives that have had line replacements and engine performance troubles with root causes of ethanol fuel.
    I purchased a boat in 2012 and ran non-ethanol fuel only for 1.5 yrs without any trouble or effect whatsoever.
    I have since ran ethanol fuel only for 1.5 yrs including the Merc additives for ethanol fuels--no performance troubles, but everything in the tank compartment of the boat is turning smut black and is almost impossible to remove.

Needless to say, I will be returning to non-ethanol fuels only from this point forward. Hoping to get the 42 tank fully changed over by December.
    sundrop likes this.

I need abouta tree fitty...

The older boats are going to need fuel lines rated for ethanol fuel. That goes for anything whether it's a boat motor or weedeater.
    Having said that, if it's a boat don't buy fuel line from an automotive store. What makes a marine fuel line different is that marine fuel lines are fire retardant. It can be a huge deal on a boat for obvious reasons.
    dbeam, and sundrop like this.

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast