Non-Ethanol - What is your opinion?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Non-Ethanol - What is your opinion?

Default Non-Ethanol - What is your opinion?

Just wondering. I have never used non-ethanol in any of my equipment, boat, weed wacker, edger, blower, generator, cars, trucks, ..., but I will add Sea-Foam, Marine Sta-Bil, fuel injector cleaner or equivalent type additives, and have not had an issue.

If something sits for a while you are going to get condensate in your gas tank. I have not had a problem with gas lines or any seals an even used Gas-ahol in the 80's in a new '81 Olds Omega and did not have any problems.

I think if you use your equipment often enough, you will not have a problem.

That's my thoughts, what is yours?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Other than some power loss and less mileage, as long as the equipment doesn't sit, allowing the fuel to absorb moisture, and as long as you have additives to help prevent the corrosion and buildup, ethanol blends are ok. I have seen where over time ethanol fuels can cause "non ethanol" fuel lines to deteriorate inside, but once again using additives gives those lines some protection, and using the equipment often helps as well as it allow minute amounts of this decayed material to pass through and get caught by the filter rather than big chunks from sitting which would clog things up. I still recommend replacing the hoses on older stuff. Fuel pump diaphragms and carb needle/seat assemblies also need to be ethanol compatible to really avoid problems. All of the carb and fuel pump rebuild kits I buy now seem to come with the gaskets and parts needed for ethanol protection both marine and small engine stuff.
    RouseD likes this.

* Be responsible to the resource, not just obedient to the laws *
    RED X ANGLER* * MEMBER OF THE JON BOAT BASS CLUB OF NC * ARDENT REELS PROSTAFF REEL IT IN BAITS PRO STAFF 1st Tournament win 2/20/16 at Hyco lake 13lb 14.8oz 5 fish.

I'll have some occasional probs with non ethanol gas. One 6 gallon tank will last me a while with my 25 HP. I always use a Sta Bil product, and a little Sea Foam in every tank.
    sundrop likes this.

RED X ANGLER

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I'm glad you started this thread Bob. Most everyone has an opinion. I will share personal experience and keep and open mind. Perhaps someone here can change my mind. Until I have a problem, I tend to stay with the tried and true. But I want to avoid a problem if I can so looking to learn from others experience. I use 87 octane in the outdoor power equip with an additive. Feel free to stop reading here if you don't want to read why.

In 2012 we bought Greg a new 26HP JD rider with a Kawasaki engine. Before it was four months old, while it was being used three hours every week, the carb began leaking fuel. I took it back to James River and they rebuilt the carb, showed me the damaged seals/gaskets and billed us $258 because it was not covered. So now I use Stabil or Seafoam or the JD brand in all my outdoor power equipment. I also have a nine year old Husqvarna rider with a 2013 Briggs engine so it's important to me to keep them both running at optimum, after all Greg and I mow 4 acres just about every week.

My pontoon boat was 10 years old when I bought it, used once in two years. The fuel tank was half full of two-year old 93 non-ethanol gas and it smelled foul, the fuel tank above the fuel line had some algae. I drained the fuel into my gas jugs and used it in the mowers with Stabil added. Boat mechanic did a fuel system and carb flush before I refilled the boat tank and told me to use non-eth fuel only so that is what I do. No additives to the boat fuel tank have ever been added as far as I know.

The boat will sit on my carport NOV, DEC, JAN, FEB without being used so I plan to disconnect the fuel line and run the engine out of fuel when I park it for the winter. In March I plan to drain remaining fuel from the tank (to use in the mowers) and refill it with fresh 93 octane non-eth fuel. Unless you or one of our readers change my mind, I don't plan to introduce a fuel additive.
    Please Don't block the ramp or the dock. My pontoon and crew cab require a wide berth.
    Dave, Teresa and Greg

I agree with Sundrop, as long as you add Sta-bil, Star-Brite, SeaFoam, or other additives you are good to go. Thankfully I have never had any ethanol fuel related issues in any of my equipment but I ALWAYS use the additives and some engines may sit for many months without being started. It helps to always store stuff with full tank to minimize condensation too.
    Lucky Doug likes this.

Cash poor. Tackle rich.
    Red X Angler

Quote Originally Posted by 4acres View Post
    I'm glad you started this thread Bob. Most everyone has an opinion. I will share personal experience and keep and open mind. Perhaps someone here can change my mind. Until I have a problem, I tend to stay with the tried and true. But I want to avoid a problem if I can so looking to learn from others experience. I use 87 octane in the outdoor power equip with an additive. Feel free to stop reading here if you don't want to read why.

In 2012 we bought Greg a new 26HP JD rider with a Kawasaki engine. Before it was four months old, while it was being used three hours every week, the carb began leaking fuel. I took it back to James River and they rebuilt the carb, showed me the damaged seals/gaskets and billed us $258 because it was not covered. So now I use Stabil or Seafoam or the JD brand in all my outdoor power equipment. I also have a nine year old Husqvarna rider with a 2013 Briggs engine so it's important to me to keep them both running at optimum, after all Greg and I mow 4 acres just about every week, except when we'd rather be fishing.

My pontoon boat was 10 years old when I bought it at absolute auction. Husband was getting treatments and auctioned off his well drilling equipment, and all toys. The boat was used once in two years. The fuel tank was half full of two-year old 93 non-ethanol gas and it smelled foul, the fuel tank above the fuel line was green with algae. I drained the fuel into my gas jugs and used it in the mowers with Stabil added. Boat mechanic did a fuel system and carb flush before I refilled the boat tank and told me to use non-eth fuel only so that is what I do. No additives to the boat fuel tank have ever been added as far as I know.

The boat will sit on my carport NOV, DEC, JAN, FEB without being used so I plan to disconnect the fuel line and run the engine out of fuel when I park it for the winter. In March I plan to drain remaining fuel from the tank (to use in the mowers) and refill it with fresh 93 octane non-eth fuel. Unless you or one of our readers change my mind, I don't plan to introduce a fuel additive.
    Drain the carbs. Running the engine won't do it. As for fuel. I will only run the octane the engine manufacturer says to.

I do not have time to trifle with additives therefor only use ethanol free gas in all my small engine, and many I have. Many of my cheaper two stroke motors will not even run unless fuel is ethanol free. I had a chainsaw fuel tank to became distorted, and could not fasten the cap because of ethanol use. My pressure washer powered by a Honda 4 stroke will barely run on 87. Same with my 1976 Troy built.

I would be good with this stuff being banned. Our farmland soil should not be used to power motor vehicles, period.

Even ethanol free gas is crap. It's not even remotely close to the ORANGE or RED gas of years ago.
    I put an additiive in any gas that is gonna sit. It's all crap.
    ChltBnks, and dbeam like this.

"Drain the carbs. Running the engine won't do it. As for fuel. I will only run the octane the engine manufacturer says to."

I agree 100% and leave the tank full so less room for condensate. I leave the gas line open on my generator so there is always gas in the carbs and not evaporated gas / varnish.

Great conversation, THANKS!
    dbeam, and sundrop like this.

IBjones

Quote Originally Posted by mrpossumtail View Post
    I do not have time to trifle with additives therefor only use ethanol free gas in all my small engine, and many I have. Many of my cheaper two stroke motors will not even run unless fuel is ethanol free. I had a chainsaw fuel tank to became distorted, and could not fasten the cap because of ethanol use. My pressure washer powered by a Honda 4 stroke will barely run on 87. Same with my 1976 Troy built.

I would be good with this stuff being banned. Our farmland soil should not be used to power motor vehicles, period.

Same here. I have a carry-on tank for my Yamaha 50. I can fill it with non-ethanol as cheap as I can buy the crap fuel and then buy $20 worth of additives to try to doctor it up. Never had any issues over the years but I run only non-ethanol in my stuff with only ring-free added. I guess it would be a factor if you have a 20 or 40 or 100 gallon inboard tank, but I can fill mine up with the good stuff for twenty bucks and run it for days and days.

IBjones

Quote Originally Posted by Drum Runner View Post
    Even ethanol free gas is crap. It's not even remotely close to the ORANGE or RED gas of years ago.
    I put an additiive in any gas that is gonna sit. It's all crap.

LOL.. I did the big no-no and used the low-grade ethanol crap to try to light my trash pile on fire. The stuff won't even burn. Emptied it out of the can right onto the trash pile, then stood afar off and threw matches and balls of paper on it for 20 minutes.
    I had to go get my can of non ethanol that I use for the lawn mower to start it.

I remember as a kid pouring gas onto something to light it and it would WHOOSH and nearly blow your hair off from across the yard. The crap they sell today barely burns. No wonder engines don't last anytime nowadays.

My small engine repair guy is really adamant about non-ethanol gas.

Quote Originally Posted by IBjones View Post
    ...I remember as a kid pouring gas onto something to light it and it would WHOOSH and nearly blow your hair off from across the yard. The crap they sell today barely burns. No wonder engines don't last anytime nowadays.
    Do NOT try this at home boys and girls. Young people, what are we going to do with them?

So if I'm understanding correctly, it would be smarter to top off the fuel tank with 93 octane non-eth, disconnect the fuel line and plug it, run the engine until out of fuel, remove each plug from carb bowl to drain them. Let set until next season with no fuel in the carbs.
    Did I miss anything? Add additive or no? Or am I totally misunderstanding?
    Please Don't block the ramp or the dock. My pontoon and crew cab require a wide berth.
    Dave, Teresa and Greg

Use the octane rating as specified by the manufacturer. I would still add Marine grade Sta-bil.

I do agree with all the statements about today's fuel, ethanol or non, is low quality. With low gas prices and high demand, I am sure the quality from the producers is much lower than in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic Bob View Post
    ". I leave the gas line open on my generator so there is always gas in the carbs and not evaporated gas / varnish.

Great conversation, THANKS!
    What do you mean leave gas line open, the vent on the cap?
    I marvel how the fishes live in the sea.
    Why, as men do a-land; the great ones eat up the little ones.
    William Shakespeare

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast