NC Angler Forums banner

What you tying up?

27K views 253 replies 20 participants last post by  Scott Hobbs 
#1 ·
Been working on a lot of different patterns lately.

These are tied up for bass. Topwater floater/diver, APDIVER style. I get a lot of use of these. I keep one tied on from spring thru fall. I usually carry 3 flyrod setups in the boat.

See less See more
#87 ·
Fly tying allows the tier to add his particular likes to a fly. If the fish bite it, you did good, if not, then a little tweeting on a fly may change the outcome. Some like them thin, some like some meat on the bones, sort of like women..:) as long as they work, I am good with it.

#88 ·
I started out using a size 10 hook for bream and crappie, but had a lot of the fish to swallow the size 10 hook so deeply that I tried using a size 8. I may miss a few smaller fish, but still catch a lot of the larger ones. The smaller fish I was catching were very small ones. I'll catch an occasional LMB, and the size 8 seems to give me more success with catching them. If I were to use a dropper fly, most likely I'd use a size 10, or smaller for that. I mostly use a 4 wt fly rod now, and haven't had any problems with casting those on the 4 wt.
Would love to know other's opinions on using a little larger hook for bream, rather than a smaller hook.
Another thing that I've found is that I almost exclusively use a Crappie Candy fly for bream and crappie, and tie it up in white and chartreuse. I also catch them on a down sized Clouser, tied on a size 8 hook.
I use the size 8 hook for my top water, craft foam bream bug flies, tied up in yellow and green. I'll also catch an occasional LMB on that bug also, if I put it right over them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.