NC Angler Forums banner

What you tying up?

27K views 253 replies 20 participants last post by  Scott Hobbs 
#1 ·
Been working on a lot of different patterns lately.

These are tied up for bass. Topwater floater/diver, APDIVER style. I get a lot of use of these. I keep one tied on from spring thru fall. I usually carry 3 flyrod setups in the boat.

See less See more
#160 ·
Been whipping up some size #8 flies, trying to fill up the bluegill box.

Squirmy Worms are a go getter.

I fish a lot of old mill ponds. Around the cypress tree bases are scattered bushes. These bushes usually have a red wasp nest. This fly represents one that fell in.

These work pretty good for gills. I usually have that black/orange tied on.

#162 ·
I use the top end of turkey flats, the iridescent part, for the wings. Gives just a little shine like a wing. I tie up a lot of these. Casting close to the bushes you are going to get hung up. If a wasp nest is there, I had rather lose the fly, than have a full frontal assault from them.

#170 ·
Tell me what I got here guys. I'd love to chase some reds and trout. Headed out Monday morning to swansboro. If I locate some fish I may pull out the fly rod and see if I can't hook up. Audio equipment Table Wood Circle Electronic instrument

Watch Wheel Gas Audio equipment Telephone
Wheel Tire Helmet Automotive tire Vehicle

Wood Font Tints and shades Asphalt Eyewear

Sleeve Gesture Wrist Musical instrument Human leg

Ones spooled with floating line one with sinking or suspending. Can't remember. Anyone know? Ones blue and ones brown.

#172 ·
Tell me what I got here guys.
Ones spooled with floating line one with sinking or suspending. Can't remember. Anyone know? Ones blue and ones brown.
You've got what most would regard as a decent entry level SW fly outfit. More than adequate to chase trout & reds if you have basic casting skills. Normally brown lines are sinkers, but the only way to find out is to visit your local pond. Good luck.

#173 ·
Diamondback Backwater...10 wt... Really nice rods....certainly well beyond beginner rating... Light and fast. Sold quite a few. Recently received one (9 wt)as a gift from an old customer. Probably made in Stowe, Vt before Cortland moved the company to NY and "downsized" it. There is a new Diamondback company back in the market.

#174 ·
So from what I'm reading 6-8 is really ideal for trout and reds I'm guessing this will work just be a bit overkill. I'll be using it and hopefully if the fires ignited again getting a new setup better suited.
In other words got a new bench for tying flies and building rods. Also found the thread my dad used to build his first custom rod when I was just a baby. Going to build him a rod using it to thank him for everything he taught me and the love of fishing I have today.
Plant Furniture Computer desk Wood Houseplant

Tints and shades Sky Arthropod Grass Artificial fly

And the first fly I've tied in 10 plus years. Maybe catch a red on it this year if I'm lucky. Whatcha think!?

#177 ·
Educated more trout Sunday than I think I've caught my whole life a fat Brookie hit on the San Juan Wormy thing I posted earlier in the thread and they were hammering the brown and pink, dubbed bodied, wooly bugger! I've got a blister on my hand from setting the hook so much! We even had a little unplanned, unofficial, three person meet and greet!

Glasses Sky Sunglasses Vision care Eyewear

Sky Hand Vision care Mouth Tree

Underwater Organism Marine invertebrates Fish Marine biology

#181 ·
Educated more trout Sunday than I think I've caught my whole life a fat Brookie hit on the San Juan Wormy thing I posted earlier in the thread and they were hammering the brown and pink, dubbed bodied, wooly bugger! I've got a blister on my hand from setting the hook so much! We even had a little unplanned, unofficial, three person meet and greet!

View attachment 82345

View attachment 82353

View attachment 82361
Nice job!

Makes it sweetie when you catch them on your own flies. Congrats
Very true.

#188 ·
Darn it Charlie, you let the cat out of the bag. I was going to tell him it was the rare Tibetan Chinchilla!

I've found a product I prefer for gluing zonker strips. Tear Mender fabric glue. Flexible, waterproof and you won't be walking around the house with wabbit strips attached to your fingers trying to find some acetone.

View attachment 82849
Thanks for the tip! I'll look into that. You are right on about needing the acetone!

#190 ·
Added some 3D Eyes with CCG.

[

So I just tried one of these heads and I couldn't get the inside full of cement. Should I be using something else to fill it before sliding on?
Fishing bait Automotive lighting Fishing lure Circuit component Razor

The head has some what of a hollow look to it. Are you using these or just going with your epoxy? Saw these and though they were pretty neat so figured I'd give it a shot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.