Catawba
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Catawba

Default Catawba

I an very saddened to release the news that Mike Byrne Passed this am. It has been a very private matter up until this evening . And out of respect for the family I would like to ask we do not bombarded them with questions . There are folks in this community at are deeply effected by this loss. If you knew Mike you knew how much he meant to everyone . He will be missed and remembered fondly . He was wonderful man . We all have great memories of him . His screen name was "catawba" . How about we each share a memory here about our time with him ..

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

RED X ANGLER

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Frogette's. Memory

was our trips to the new river with him sitting by the campfire reminiscing about previous trips with that pipe and a bottle of wine ..

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

RED X ANGLER

Red X hothole on a cold morning. After driving with me to buy coffee for the group, sitting there in a comfy folding chair, looking happy, with the smell of pipe tobacco around him.

Great guy. We missed him Saturday and wondered why he wasn't in touch for this M&G.

He will be missed.

After all is said and done.... A heck of a lot more will be said than done
    Red X Angler
    "Sublime" - 2013 NuCanoe Frontier in lime green

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I should have noticed..................he stopped posting and sending PM's a while back. Wow! He was a real plus to the local river bassers...................and always up for a float.

I follow my own Blog
    Man can build a lake, but only God can make a river

You will be sorely missed brother

Red X Angler
    "And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise." Luke 6:31

I hated to see this. Mike was good friend. I always enjoyed floating, fishing and most of all sitting around the campfire with him.
    My best memories would be that, Mike and I spent the last couple of years at the Mt.Airy bluegrass convention. Friday night's we'd hang out and listening to music, camping and Saturday hit the New River, then back for music.

He'll be missed

Red X Angler
    Let's go FISHIN'....

You have been missed already by your absence at recent meet & greets, you were even in our thoughts this past Saturday, looking at the chair at the hot hole walkway wishing you were in it with pipe in hand overseeing the festivities. Glad for the times we had together fishing the New River and sharing time at the Hardcore Tournament. I'll miss you my friend.

Red X Angler

"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught." ~Author Unknown

such a great loss i am saddend by this news he was a GREAT man with an awesome soul he will be truely missed yet still loved in the heart of many

red x angler and tarheelflyflinger for life -red drum its not an obssesion but a passion

A great guy and a true ambassador of Riverbassin. I consider myself lucky to have gotten to spend a little time with him on several bodies of water and around several campfires (yes, pipe in hand and maybe a bottle of wine).

Default Catawba

Can't say enough good things about Mike. He's one of those guys that would go out of his way to help and was happy to do so. Always positive and just glad to be there. The type of person you wanted to be around. Humble. A true gentleman.

One of my fond memories was him flipping out of his 119 trying to launch on the Yadkin early one October morning. I got a good laugh. Most guys would have been cussing, cold, and complaining. Not Mike! He took it in stride and made the best of that day.

I also recall a float with just the two of us. He drove 2 hrs to meet me, finding a muddy mess at the launch. We fished anyway. He caught 1 and I got skunked. He was just glad to explore new water, enjoy the wildlife, and paddle a few miles. I was embarrassed thinking he had wasted his day. He left with a smile and thanked me for organizing the trip.

As others have said, I should be more like Mike.

RIP

-Jeff

Blog Entries

Default Catawba

This instantly forced my eyes to well up as soon as I realized what I was reading.

I never had the pleasure of meeting Catawba face to face, but anytime I was curious about something with the rivers, or had any type of question, he was always helpful to me in a huge way.

You'll be missed, buddy. You've been very respected and always will be. I'm so sorry to hear this.

If there's anything small or large that I can do to help in any way, somebody please let me know.

Sad indeed. What a true Gentleman. Like FW said he and all of us should strive to be more like Mike. Rest in Peace Catawba.

Two pictures I took of Mike on the Yadkin. He really did enjoy that OT 119.

Click image for larger version.

Name:	DSCF1227.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	221.8 KB
ID:	78553Click image for larger version.

Name:	DSCF1215.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	258.7 KB
ID:	78561

Mowhawk pack , coleman scanoe, OT 158, 2 OT 119's,
    1232 Jon Boat, Wilderness Systems ATAK 140, Ascend 12T

A huge loss no doubt.. i only had the pleasure to meet Mike a couple times but he was always such a positive individual and truly loved the sport

Blog Entries

Wow...so saddened. He always had a smile in that canoe. And usually a few fish on the line. I am better for knowing him. Prayers for his family...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red X Angler // Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that is not fish they are after - Thoreau

Blog Entries

Please express our condolences to his family. We are very sorry for their loss. Do you think they would be okay if we posted his photo on the home page as a way of showing respect?

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast