Catawba - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Catawba

NCangler and the RedXers have suffered a great loss with the passing of Mike. He was a gentle soul, always seeming at ease with life and those around him. He approached the water the same way. Gliding along in the 119, going where the current took him, focused more on enjoying the minute and those around him than on catching fish. If you have ever shared a campfire with him, you have indeed been a lucky man. Thanks for allowing me to share the water with you. May your bronzebacks be golden. Rest In Peace my friend.

Red X Angler

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I never had the pleasure of meeting/knowing him... Prayers for his family and friends.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Red X Angler
    Captains Club

I can't think of a better front page.

My very first Meet and Greet was at lake Norman State park. I had been talking with Catawba on the phone, he had told me he would be there for sure. So TJ and I headed out, we got to the park just as the cold rains really started coming down. We found out the winter hours were in effect and that the park would close before Mike had a chance to get there from South Charlotte. After telling the story to the Ranger, he promised to start locking things up at the other end of the park and to delay locking the main gate as long as he could. When he circled back after a 1/2 hour or so Mike was still 20 minutes away. I went into stall mode, began asking every question of the Ranger that I could think of, he cooperated, I am pretty sure he knew what I was up and played along. Mike called as soon as he crossed the gate into the park, and the Ranger left to go lock up.
    During this time of pitching camp we had been fighting cold rain and high winds trying to get a fire going with wet wood and damp newspapers. Mike, always ready, added a DuraFlame log to the campfire, and went off to pitch his tent.
    We offered him a spot in ours which was already set-up but he politely refused saying that sometimes he snored. (an understatement) but as soon as he was done in his sight he came back to sit with us by what was a roaring fire by then.
    That night I figured out that Catawba was going to stay up longer than any one else, I don't think I turned in till after 2:00, leaving him sitting in the chair enjoying the quiet, his pipe, and some wine. we had a great visit that night. I can't remember what we had for supper but he ate what we had to cook because his plans for a meal on the way to the park had been cut short by the time constraints. We shared some peanut butter cookies his wife had made, after we turned in a racoon finished off the few that were left.
    He will be missed.

Darrell

Red X Angler

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Greensboro, North Carolina, United States

What an honor to have met this big guy with a big heart ! I am deeply saddened by the news of his passing this morning ! RIP my friend...

Quote Originally Posted by NCangler View Post
    Please express our condolences to his family. We are very sorry for their loss. Do you think they would be okay if we posted his photo on the home page as a way of showing respect?
    Randy I think that it's a very fine thing to do to remember Mike on the front page of the site.

Red X Angler
    "And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise." Luke 6:31

It's hard to find words at times like these. Like so many of my Red X buddies Mike was a caring, sharing and gentle man. While he loved to fish I think his happiest moments were spent perched in a camp chair with that pipe enjoying nature and the camaraderie of his friends that shared his passion. None finer.
    Click image for larger version.

Name:	020.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	78593

H2ohhh, Dr. H, Judge H...what the H? Nucanoe Frontier 12.

Mike was family. Through a bond fishermen have . He was a friend and sometimes a father figure offering guidance whether on the water or for every day life. He was calm. And full of joy and happiness. Which was easily seen by all who spent time around round him . He had a peace most of us do not have. He knew what made him happy . The river and fellowship with family. I truly believe he considered us all to be his family . There was nothing he wouldn't give to someone in need .He was knowledgeable of rivers and fishing on a level few understand. It was a passion of his . We should all try and be more like Catawba. . As much as he means to us .. his family struggles with the greatest loss. He was only friend to us . To them he was a father a husband and a provider. I pray his family has peace and receives closer as the chapter in their life begins .

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

RED X ANGLER

Red X Angler
    Captains Club

every time I ever heard him mention his daughter you could see his eyes brighten up.

Darrell

Red X Angler

Red X Angler
    Captains Club
    Kayak Angler

I first met Mike at the Hot Hole sitting on top of the bank in his chair. It was very cold that year we talked for awhile and he never said anything about the cold you could just tell he had an air to him that you rarely find in a person. My heart is heavy with sadness with his passing and my prayers for his family during these hard times.

Old Coot Red X Angler with a in my dreams only Bucket List
    2013 Hobie Pro Angler 12 & 14

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by papadave View Post
    Randy I think that it's a very fine thing to do to remember Mike on the front page of the site.
    My thoughts as well.

I hate I missed the pleasure of meeting him. You can tell by all these fine people speaking so highly of him as to what kind of person he was! I know I heard several mentions of a "Mike" at this past hot hole event, I'm guessing it was him. He'll be missed for sure!

I have had a tough time finding what exactly to say. When I found out I couldn't believe any of it and immediately began to call all the fishing friends I knew and I still couldn't believe it. My first trip to the Catawba with Mr. Scott and Mrs. Tammy was the first time I truly met Mr. Mike (We had met at a Black Friday M&G but did not talk like we did on this trip)...He immediately talked to me as soon as we got into the water and it was like talking to one of my best friends. We talked ( I was still in high school) about school, college, sports, family, everything but fishing at first. He was so easy to talk to and he was always happy and gave great advice. We talked everytime we fished together and sometimes I would just lay in my kayak beside him as we floated down the river and talked while he fished because his stories and our talks were far better than any fish caught. I'll never forget he never let me help him carry his canoe to the truck but he always offered to help me with mine. He was definitely the most humble, caring, and patient man I have ever met. I will miss him and our fishing experences on the river, at the hothole, seeing him use a buzzbait on a 90 degree day in the summer catching more fish than me, watching him masterfully use a senko in the laydowns, fishing and eating on Black Friday, and our conversations on the phone. Thank you Mr. Mike for everything. Save me some big ones up in heaven.

Red X Angler
    There is always a way

Blog Entries

Thanks Dave, but Wademaster saw the thread before I did and suggested placing Mike's picture on the home page. I hope his family and friends are blessed to know how much Mike was respected and cared for by the anglers who knew him.

Quote Originally Posted by papadave View Post

Sad news. I had about 5 experiences with Mike. 3 at NRSP, and 2 at the hot hole. Had the chance to sit with him a couple of times at his camp site at NRSP. He was a very impressive man on the water, or at his camp site. I, like all the others, consider meeting and getting to know Mike a real honor. Fantastic man. Prayers for his family

RED X ANGLER

RIP Brother save us a seat at the fishing hole where tales are tall and fish catches are grand.

Friends, Fishing, Fellowship..RED X ANGLER

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast