Catawba - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Catawba

"Catawba" will certainly be missed by many people in here as the 2 pages of testimony above this post proves, and many of those posts gave me some "moist eyes" at people's stories of how he touched their lives.

I only met Mike twice, and both times, he left some fond memories of our few times together.
    My first trip with the gang in here was just over 4 years ago at the Black Friday M&G, and Mike impressed me with his caring attitude and he made certain that I got launched OK and headed upstream in his beloved Catawba River. I was dragging behind since my daughter was a week overdue with my 3rd grandchild and I wanted to make certain that I would have time to get to the hospital and Mike seemed concerned about that. When I did launch and head out to meet the group ahead of me, the first person I met up with was Mike...and I now realize that was just him watching out for others....

I also remember him from the New River M&G that I attended, and the quiet guy with the pipe in the camp chair was a mental image that I will keep forever of him. Each day on the water and each evening at camp, he would always check on me and was always available to answer my many questions....sorry that I did not get to meet him more often or get to know him better.
    RIP Catawba and my best wishes and prayers go out to his family.....John

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

This is the message I got to share with yall so far I will update as I know

The service will be next Saturday the 13th, we do not have a time yet...will keep you all updated about that as well...the family us asking that in lieu of flowers, donations be made to the Catawba river keepers foundation!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

RED X ANGLER

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Never met him, but he was one of those posters who I instinctively liked, whether from his posting style, the photos of him or his helpfulness. He will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by froggy waters View Post
    This is the message I got to share with yall so far I will update as I know

The service will be next Saturday the 13th, we do not have a time yet...will keep you all updated about that as well...the family us asking that in lieu of flowers, donations be made to the Catawba river keepers foundation!

Thanks Gary

Red X Angler
    "And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise." Luke 6:31

Some people don't have to try very hard to be nice because it is just in their nature. The few interactions I had with him, I could tell right off he was one of those people. RIP

Default Great sportsman

Quote Originally Posted by NCangler View Post
    Please express our condolences to his family. We are very sorry for their loss. Do you think they would be okay if we posted his photo on the home page as a way of showing respect?
    Never knew him, but seemed like a great sportsman. Always hard to lose a true fisherman. Sorry for your loss.

Still no formal Obituary that I can find. Regardless of when it is I intend to attend visitation and services.
    I'll be traveling to Burlington and then down I-85. If anyone would like to carpool from anywhere in between I have 10 seats available. Just shoot me a PM and we'll set up a meeting place.

Red X Angler
    "And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise." Luke 6:31

I am planing on going as well. Dave as soon as I get solid confirmation of when it is. I did share earlier in the post . Information from his niece . If their are any changes I will be sure to share them as I find out

RED X ANGLER

Mike's wife, Kathy, wanted me to share this excerpt from an email I received this morning with Mike's NC Angler family......

"I can't even put into words what you all meant to my husband aka Catawba Mike. He loved the sport, but honestly believe he loved the fishing fellowship more. He talked of each and every one of you after his outings. You all were very important to him and he held you all in high regard. I have now made the NC angler site my morning reading (afternoon and evening too!) I have shared the link with my family and friends so they can read the thoughtful posts of his fishing family. He did regard you all as family. He shared many stories with Mikala and I and we had pictures in our heads of all of you. Not sure how one goes about thanking such a large part of my husband's life for being there and sharing his passion of being on the river. Catching fish was just a bonus, because each outing was a feather in his cap. Just completing the float, sharing time with you guys was his passion. I can't post on that site but if you could somehow let everyone know that Catawba loved them all and he will be watching over you all and guiding you while you are on "his river". (Because we all know he considered it his and he was willing to share!)"

~Stewart "Maniyak" Venable

-Jackson Kayak Fishing Team -YakAttack Pro Staff -Bending Branches Pro Staff -Dobyns Rods Pro Staff -River Stalkers -College Kayak Fishing -Southern Kayak Anglers

Quote Originally Posted by ManiYak View Post
    Mike's wife, Kathy, wanted me to share this excerpt from an email I received this morning with Mike's NC Angler family......
    Thank you so much for posting that Stewart

And to Kathy, thank you for sharing Mike's thoughts and feelings with us. It means more than I can express. Mike was a wonderful friend and the best of people. Please know that we are all with you and Mikala.

Red X Angler

Thank you Stewart

RED X ANGLER

There are so many things to be said about the way Mike touched us all, but I think it can be boiled down to the fact that Mike was one of those people who sets the bar. He was, and will be for a long time, an example for us all to follow.

Red X Angler

****update******

His service is going to be February 13th @11am. It will be at St. Philip Neri 292 Munn Road Fort Mill,SC 29715.

Still asking to make donations to the Catawba river keepers foundation in lieu of flowers.

RED X ANGLER

Just in case anyone needs help ...
    http://www.catawbariverkeeper.org/join/member-donate

RED X ANGLER

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast